WBB Recruiting continued...

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
That's the bottom line, the great coach part came across more like she was trying to convince herself it was the right decision.

Boo yah... so she did not come to ISU. Let's move on and maybe recruit players nearer to home. I am not sure what BF saw in her but her numbers didn't outshine some of our instate products and HoopGurls did not rate her that high. I think there are better pointguards in Iowa. Next!!!!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Boo yah... so she did not come to ISU. Let's move on and maybe recruit players nearer to home. I am not sure what BF saw in her but her numbers didn't outshine some of our instate products and HoopGurls did not rate her that high. I think there are better pointguards in Iowa. Next!!!!

I agree with this. Frankly, I was shocked when I heard we had offered her.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
I agree with this. Frankly, I was shocked when I heard we had offered her.

Had to see her play. Hoopgurlz only sees about 15% of the gals they rank. The rest is just lip service and what their "insiders" tell them.
Bill says the gal could play so that is really the only thing that us ignorant ISU fans should buy into and not some hype from sources we don't know!!!!
IMO

Reactions: simville02

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Had to see her play. Hoopgurlz only sees about 15% of the gals they rank. The rest is just lip service and what their "insiders" tell them.
Bill says the gal could play so that is really the only thing that us ignorant ISU fans should buy into and not some hype from sources we don't know!!!!
IMO

Have to agree here, Hoopgurlz rankings are more heavily weighted towards those who are being recruited by the top programs, players that go to Nike Skills camps, or players who get invited to try out for national teams. Case in point, Hallie was ranked in the top 100 of an independent report that coaches use, but didn't even get a evaluation score on Hoopgurlz.

If anyone can evaluate point guards, I'd say the ISU staff can. I really think she liked ISU and the staff, but her comments make it clear that she wanted her parents to be able to see her games.

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Have to agree here, Hoopgurlz rankings are more heavily weighted towards those who are being recruited by the top programs, players that go to Nike Skills camps, or players who get invited to try out for national teams. Case in point, Hallie was ranked in the top 100 of an independent report that coaches use, but didn't even get a evaluation score on Hoopgurlz.

If anyone can evaluate point guards, I'd say the ISU staff can. I really think she liked ISU and the staff, but her comments make it clear that she wanted her parents to be able to see her games.

I think she made a good decision. She sounds like she a family girl, so it's best that she stays near. I am happy for her. Sure, it would of been nice to have gotten her, but BF will recruit other girls.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I think she made a good decision. She sounds like she a family girl, so it's best that she stays near. I am happy for her. Sure, it would of been nice to have gotten her, but BF will recruit other girls.

I'll be very happy if Taylor G makes a similar decision:smile:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
A couple random things.

I saw on a message board that Alex Cohen (recruit from Wisconsin) is visiting Duke. She's had interest from a lot of good schools.

Emily Cady (recruit from Nebraska) has us in her current top 3:

Milford's Moore happy to be back on court

Cady says her top three schools are Nebraska, Kansas State and Iowa State, but says that list could change as she sets up visits after the summer tournaments. Wisconsin, Marquette, Michigan and Michigan State are among the schools she'd like to visit. She's visiting Nebraska on Monday.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
California has offered Cohen... I wish I had a complete list of offers.

I haven't given Alex much attention because I think in the end she will go to to Wisconsin (my opinion) and who can fault her. California Bears have had top ten recruiting classes in recent years though and in the future may be a team to watch (fizzle?).

Alex is special and has some attributes that ISU/Bill may take into consideration.

For one her faith: Nicolet hoops player earns gold medal at 'Jewish Olympics' - GlendaleNOW Ames has two Synagogs of which I am aware...

Image: Nicolet Knights High School Girls Basketball Home - MaxPreps

I'd like to think we are in on her and she is one I really would like as part of the Cyclone clan.

SS09

Nov 9, 2009
6'6 Alex Cohen has offers from California, Rutgers, Michigan State, Iowa, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Marquette, Michigan, Iowa State, Bowling Green, Missouri, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and is in discussion with Georgia, Stanford, Duke, and North Carolina State. She unofficially visited Stanford last year too. She is currently attending the Duke camp.

Last edited:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
California has offered Cohen... I wish I had a complete list of offers.

I haven't given Alex much attention because I think in the end she will go to to Wisconsin (my opinion) and who can fault her. California Bears have had top ten recruiting classes in recent years though and in the future may be a team to watch (fizzle?).

Alex is special and has some attributes that ISU/Bill may take into consideration.

For one her faith: Nicolet hoops player earns gold medal at 'Jewish Olympics' - GlendaleNOW Ames has two Synagogs of which I am aware...

Image: Nicolet Knights High School Girls Basketball Home - MaxPreps

I'd like to think we are in on her and she is one I really would like as part of the Cyclone clan.

Why should faith play any part in the decision to recruit her? Isn't that discriminatory?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Why should faith play any part in the decision to recruit her? Isn't that discriminatory?

Success, academics, facilities may be all that matters to a recruit whose persona is their sport.

What is needed for other recruits is sensitivity to the fact that they are enjoying and adjusting being first away from home. This is not lost on the mind of a good recruiter.

Somewhat impersonally in-part, the recruiting business is: evaluating for, attracting to and development potential of available players into Bill's system.

Personally, the flip side is obviously how do we fit into a recruit's life?

There is nothing discriminatory about being prepared to answer a recruit's questions even to the extent regarding access to their Faith in Ames. It shows you care, you're smart and that help is there to adjust and get them headed in the right direct. Sure, recruits could do this on their own in their busy world, but it's seems of value to offer it.

Information about many social aspects about ISU/Ames is hopefully provided to all prospects. Offering such information and being prepared is what what I meant by the post.

Warranted or not there was past alluding in the WBB Forum about an out-going tranfer's move being in-part Faith-driven.

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
ISUCoachFen
LONG time since I have not been on the road July 5th to start recruiting-I get to start at "home" this summer--BUSY month of hoops

hmm.... I wonder who that could be....:wink:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
ISUCoachFen
LONG time since I have not been on the road July 5th to start recruiting-I get to start at "home" this summer--BUSY month of hoops

hmm.... I wonder who that could be....:wink:

He's referring to All Iowa Attack's Super 16 tournament that starts tomorrow in Ames - huge assemblage of talented players from all over the midwest - Stokes and Greenfield are playing also. Every gym in town will be used, with the ISU bb facility as the base.
Since Stokes hasn't committed yet, expect lots of the big coaching names to be here. I would imagine Stanford's coaching staff will be here also to watch/cheer Greenfield.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Let's see... Don't work tomorrow, need to take a drive down south , I sense an excuse to get into the practice facility:yes: