WBB Recruiting

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Now what do you suppose this means... Reference to Ryan, maybe?

yep, from CW

Iowa State women’s basketball just picked up a huge commitment for the 2020 class. Emily Ryan, a 2020 guard out of Central Plains (Kan.). 3 X state championship. So far is undefeated in her high school career. Offers from 9/10 Big 12 schools. #Cyclones

Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Cool for the 2020 class. Both Emily Ryan (#60) and Lexi Donarski (#58) are on the Prospects Nations "Elite 60" list. ESPN has Ryan at #55 and Lexi #19. Nice prospect ratings. :D

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Only one scholarship left for 2020. We'll probably hold that for Caitlin Clark or one of the post players we may be interested in (like Taylor Lauterbach, Emilie Lafond, Julianna Okosun). Or maybe even a transfer. Otherwise it'll probably just remain empty. We rarely use all 15 scholarships.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I read awhile ago and it just came back to me, 2019 commit Gabby McBride had some All-American Adidas award. I know nothing of the award and wish to know if this is a legit big time thing or just a thing?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I read awhile ago and it just came back to me, 2019 commit Gabby McBride had some All-American Adidas award. I know nothing of the award and wish to know if this is a legit big time thing or just a thing?
I researched and not could find anything. So, I do not know.
Love our improved recruiting lately. Must have talent to win. I might be missing something, but I do not get the McBride offer. Everything I read says she is a 6’1” post player. Not going to cut it in P5 WBB.
Not much for accolades either. But, hopefully a “sleeper.”

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

Looks like it's an invite-only camp of around 70 players (combined from three classes) from Adidas-affiliated AAU teams. I wouldn't call it "legit big-time" -- the phrase "all-american" is misleading -- but it is a legit honor of sorts. It's not some pointless "anyone could do it" honor like being nominated for Gatorade POY.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Reactions: StClone

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
In watching some of Gabby's videos, her game somewhat reminds me of Kristin or a poor man's Naphesia Collier. Good hands for rebounding, catching high passes or passes while moving, athletic/fast with a big body is a plus(saw her beat guards down the court), time in weights will help her.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Karly Weathers comes from a very athletic family, to say the least:
  • Dad: David Weathers, 19-year MLB pitcher
  • Mom: Kelli (Davis) Weathers, who played NAIA basketball at Belmont -- 1st-team AA and jersey retired with over 2300 career points
  • Brother: Ryan Weathers, 2018 1st-round draft pick of the Padres
She also has a younger sister (Ally) who is very good at basketball.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Karly Weathers comes from a very athletic family, to say the least:
  • Dad: David Weathers, 19-year MLB pitcher
  • Mom: Kelli (Davis) Weathers, who played NAIA basketball at Belmont -- 1st-team AA and jersey retired with over 2300 career points
  • Brother: Ryan Weathers, 2018 1st-round draft pick of the Padres
She also has a younger sister (Ally) who is very good at basketball.
Exciting pick-up! Congrats Karly. Maybe it's just me but starting to feel old seeing this future star is scheduled to graduate in 2026.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Whoa. The Clark at Iowa State dream is still alive. Nice.
If we were to get Clark, that'd be three PG in the 2020 HS class. That seems like a lot, but you have to remember that there's only one other true PG on the roster in 20-21 and she'll be a senior (Rae Johnson). McGraw is working on playing PG and could end up good enough at it to play some PG at ISU, but we don't know at this point.

I think the ISU offense runs best when there are two people on the court capable of playing Div I PG. And Donarski, Ryan, and Clark are all good enough to play multiple backcourt positions.

Last edited: