We’re back to the moon!

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

The lander, named Odysseus, is the first U.S. spacecraft to land on the moon in more than 50 years, carrying experiments for NASA, the main sponsor. But it came in too fast last Thursday and the foot of one of its six legs caught on the surface, causing it to tumble over, according to company officials.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
And we will be losing contact with it tomorrow morning already. Not a glaring success by any means.

We can put multiple rovers on the surface of Mars... but mess up putting something on the moon? Wut?

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
And we will be losing contact with it tomorrow morning already. Not a glaring success by any means.

We can put multiple rovers on the surface of Mars... but mess up putting something on the moon? Wut?
Depends on how much you want to spend. Reports say this cost around $250 million. The Mars Perseverance rover cost in the $2 billion neighborhood 10 years ago, depending on how you account for the launch costs.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

Also, India and Japan didn’t fare much better. Gimme a gang of boomers with slide rules if we’re gonna learn anything.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Agree with what you're saying but also think its amazing how much precision it all takes....

Was at the Kennedy Space Center last month and just hearing about the hundred and thousand of checks for a takeoff....incredible.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
dumb-and-dumber-no-way.gif

Reactions: ISUKyro and Turn2

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

This was a private company. NASA put those rovers on Mars.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Also, India and Japan didn’t fare much better. Gimme a gang of boomers with slide rules if we’re gonna learn anything.

The ladies that got us to the moon 1st are all in their 90s or dead. Hidden numbers was on last night. I still like it no idea how accurate it was. But those 3 got high honors for their careers

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Ok. In Apollo 13 (in the 60's) they brought humans back from the moon in a broken down ship with like, duct tape and sh)t. In 2024 we can't land on the moon? Time to make another iPhone and Avengers movie I guess.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Ok. In Apollo 13 (in the 60's) they brought humans back from the moon in a broken down ship with like, duct tape and sh)t. In 2024 we can't land on the moon? Time to make another iPhone and Avengers movie I guess.
We could have sent people back to the moon if really wanted to. It was just outrageously expensive the first time. I think the Apollo program cost around $257billion inflated to 2020 rates. Apollo 11 itself was around $3bill adjusted.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
The ladies that got us to the moon 1st are all in their 90s or dead. Hidden numbers was on last night. I still like it no idea how accurate it was. But those 3 got high honors for their careers
Hidden Figures?
We could have sent people back to the moon if really wanted to. It was just outrageously expensive the first time. I think the Apollo program cost around $257billion inflated to 2020 rates. Apollo 11 itself was around $3bill adjusted.
All NASA spending almost always pays off in multiple peripheral ways.