We’re back to the moon!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Did they have to build a new Hollywood set or did they just reuse the one from the 60's?

Yes I'm kidding.
I remember that show they had on Fox network like 20 years ago that had everyone convinced the moon landing was fake for like a month. I know people have believed that for a long time and some people still believe it, but that took the conspiracy mainstream for a moment.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Hidden Figures?

All NASA spending almost always pays off in multiple peripheral ways.
That might be true if they're doing different things. I feel like doing the same, or similar lunar mission over and over you'd end up diminishing returns. It'll hopefully be cheaper with the Artemis program.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
And spent about 2.5% of US GDP a year for 10 years. Todays equivalent about $700B per year, or about the entire US Military spend. That's not meant as a criticism, just an important note to how much effort the country put into it.

I am not seeing the societal level of commitment for that kind of spend now, to say the least. Heck, the way things are, I don't think you'd get that level of spend even if a killer asteroid was going to hit in 12 months. Half the country would still be like "but what about my (insert sacred cow here) subsidies?"

edit- Letterkenny beat me to it; and different numbers, but I suppose that's a result of different google search terms lol.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While still sending data, IM is talking of Odysseus' functionality in hours.

It just boggles the mind how little the logistics and end result has changed in 50 years. Not knocking it - I can't even begin to imagine how every little thing has to be perfect to have something 240,000 miles away land without a hiccup. It's just crazy how much things have advanced and yet how some things just seem to be stuck.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And spent about 2.5% of US GDP a year for 10 years. Todays equivalent about $700B per year, or about the entire US Military spend. That's not meant as a criticism, just an important note to how much effort the country put into it.

I am not seeing the societal level of commitment for that kind of spend now, to say the least. Heck, the way things are, I don't think you'd get that level of spend even if a killer asteroid was going to hit in 12 months. Half the country would still be like "but what about my (insert sacred cow here) subsidies?"

edit- Letterkenny beat me to it; and different numbers, but I suppose that's a result of different google search terms lol.
More likely half of the country and half of our lawmakers would doubt the science and claim that it is a hoax to take away freedoms and highjack our government's budget.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It just boggles the mind how little the logistics and end result has changed in 50 years. Not knocking it - I can't even begin to imagine how every little thing has to be perfect to have something 240,000 miles away land without a hiccup. It's just crazy how much things have advanced and yet how some things just seem to be stuck.
From the little I've heard, this was a 100% robotic landing mission, in a location of the moon very difficult to land in and by any measure was immensely less expensive. That means the telemetry was determined on-the-fly by the onboard computer from onboard cameras, sensors, and robotics. I'd give it some room for error because it was doing stuff never done before.

Reactions: Jer

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
They will probably discover some valuable rare earth mineral there like in Avatar. Then, it becomes a commercial free for all with strip mines everywhere.

Actually, I think the plan is to use the moon as a way station to Mars. Pretty cool.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Press conference this afternoon. Apparently the impact at landing was more jarring than originally thought, but the solar array is still keeping the unit alive and sending some data.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Press conference this afternoon. Apparently the impact at landing was more jarring than originally thought, but the solar array is still keeping the unit alive and sending some data.

That’s good, gotta have juice

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2