Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
At Surly's tap room.
Fiery-Hell-Social_Instagram-1080x1080.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think I'm going to have to go with a beer that I was given free. Asked about possibly trying a Jalapeno Red as I really liked the Red. Well turns out they were out. It also happened to be a very long wait and so they brought me a free flight glass of a Jalopeno Dark Beer, think it was a Porter. Two sips is all I could stomach. Tasted like bitter fire. Ugh.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not a beer, but for weird drinks I recently had a Twin Bing Martini in Sioux City. It was the signature drink at this hotel bar as the candy is made in Sioux City.

It was terrible, and curdled after literally a few minutes and became undrinkable.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Assassin. Wasn't too bad.
...What exactly is weird about Assassin?

I've got a few:

A home brewer sent me a beer he brewed for a competition where they had to use truffles and asked me to give tasting notes.

One of my favorite beers was from Crooked Stave in Denver, Wild Wild Brett Violet. A wild ale with lavender, pomegranate, and passion fruits.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Mine has to be any of the "spicy" beers. Whether it's Ghost Pepper or Jalapeno or what.

Honorable mention to the cinnamon ones that taste like pie. I'll add most "pumpkin" beers to that list.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Not a beer, but for weird drinks I recently had a Twin Bing Martini in Sioux City. It was the signature drink at this hotel bar as the candy is made in Sioux City.

It was terrible, and curdled after literally a few minutes and became undrinkable.

I was at a sushi bar in Chicago with 7 salespersons. They ordered 8 Japanese martinis, which were vodka martinis with an oyster, Worcestershire sauce, and thin slices of green onion. Only one guy and I finished them. It was terrible, but I could not justify wasting it, based on the price, even if it was on the company.

As far as worst beer, that would be the one and only pumpkin ale I ever had. Pumpkin is for pumpkin pies and pumpkin bars - nothing else, especially beer.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I LOVED "Fruitallica" from Stone this past Summer/Fall. I probably had 10 or so bombers of it. Most people would think it's really odd but I loved the Habanero notes in it. It also had Yuzu and Kiwi in it.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I had a German smoked beer once that tasted like they had dumped in a bunch of Worcestershire sauce.

I came here to post something similar - I think this was the one I had. The "style" was "rauchbier"/smoked beer. I like stouts/porters where the 'roasted malts' description is common, so thought smoked beer would just be the next step. Not so much. I thought it tasted like sausage.
upload_2018-1-15_14-54-34.png
Maybe I'll try it again someday, I'll be more prepared for what to expect, but probably not.

• Agree
Reactions: Jacktronic

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
A Busch light after drinking a couple real beers.

after your palate is used to the taste of an IPA, Busch light is worse than horrible.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 1100011CS and ATCy