Well, it's about time...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hello everybody. This thread has been a long time in coming...

Finally, after five or so years "lurking" here on CycloneFanatic, I have decided to make an account an offer my limited participation in the forums and to use it to keep my connection to the Iowa State athletics community as open as possible. I always shied away from joining or posting here in the past on the grounds of being too busy with my studies or activities while at Iowa State; yet, now, I don't believe I can resist for any longer, as I've always found this forum an invaluable resource of news, rumor, and central Iowa culture since I discovered it in my sophomore year of undergraduate.

A little about myself: I was born in Ames, but I grew up in Boone... yes, that place, which I noticed not many people have much love for on here (semi-sarcasm there), and I attended Iowa State from 2005 to 2009 before graduating with a BA in history and a BS in economics. Hard economic times being what they were, I came back and finished my MA in history and lectured for ISU's Department of History from fall 2009 to December of 2010. Now I live in Massachusetts, working as an economist and consultant.

Not to brag, but I had at least some (passive) involvement in basically every major happenstance in ISU athletics of the last six years. I was a trumpet player in the ISUCF'V'MB for six years, as well as countless seasons in the pep bands for men's basketball, women's basketball, volleyball, and the hockey team. I was there for the tornado game against Colorado in 2005, the women's basketball team's improbable comeback over Michigan State in Berkeley, CA to arrive at the Elite Eight, JVB's buzzer "beater" over Creighton last fall, the bowl win over Minnesota, 23-3 and 15-12 over Iowa, the volleyball team's Sweet Sixteen appearance in 2009, the near-upsets over KU, OU, and UT in basketball, and all the mundane/unsuccessful stuff in the middle. I did miss the football upsets over Nebraska in 2009 and Texas last year, but only because they didn't send a band to those. All of these are the best memories of the best times of my college career, so hopefully my membership here will make it easier to stay connected to it all and to ask questions about the multimedia information simply needed to keep seeing these games.

That being said, I have a few quick questions before closing down this introduction. I'm planning on attending the ISU-UConn game in Hartford, CT, as it's only an hour drive away from me, in about a month. Where is the best place in the forum to ask about purchasing tickets (lowest price, best value, etc.) or maybe getting an ISU group together, if there were enough of us out here in New England for something like that? Additionally, where's the best place to put questions about "where on TV/radio/the Internet" for seeing football and basketball games in the future?

I think that is all for now. Sorry for being so late, but it is nice to be in on the party now.

:smile:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Welcome.

For the TV/Radio/Internet info. You would post in the sport's respective forum. Approaching or on game day there will be multiple people looking/asking.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Hello everybody. This thread has been a long time in coming...

Finally, after five or so years "lurking" here on CycloneFanatic, I have decided to make an account an offer my limited participation in the forums and to use it to keep my connection to the Iowa State athletics community as open as possible. I always shied away from joining or posting here in the past on the grounds of being too busy with my studies or activities while at Iowa State; yet, now, I don't believe I can resist for any longer, as I've always found this forum an invaluable resource of news, rumor, and central Iowa culture since I discovered it in my sophomore year of undergraduate.

A little about myself: I was born in Ames, but I grew up in Boone... yes, that place, which I noticed not many people have much love for on here (semi-sarcasm there), and I attended Iowa State from 2005 to 2009 before graduating with a BA in history and a BS in economics. Hard economic times being what they were, I came back and finished my MA in history and lectured for ISU's Department of History from fall 2009 to December of 2010. Now I live in Massachusetts, working as an economist and consultant.

Not to brag, but I had at least some (passive) involvement in basically every major happenstance in ISU athletics of the last six years. I was a trumpet player in the ISUCF'V'MB for six years, as well as countless seasons in the pep bands for men's basketball, women's basketball, volleyball, and the hockey team. I was there for the tornado game against Colorado in 2005, the women's basketball team's improbable comeback over Michigan State in Berkeley, CA to arrive at the Elite Eight, JVB's buzzer "beater" over Creighton last fall, the bowl win over Minnesota, 23-3 and 15-12 over Iowa, the volleyball team's Sweet Sixteen appearance in 2009, the near-upsets over KU, OU, and UT in basketball, and all the mundane/unsuccessful stuff in the middle. I did miss the football upsets over Nebraska in 2009 and Texas last year, but only because they didn't send a band to those. All of these are the best memories of the best times of my college career, so hopefully my membership here will make it easier to stay connected to it all and to ask questions about the multimedia information simply needed to keep seeing these games.

That being said, I have a few quick questions before closing down this introduction. I'm planning on attending the ISU-UConn game in Hartford, CT, as it's only an hour drive away from me, in about a month. Where is the best place in the forum to ask about purchasing tickets (lowest price, best value, etc.) or maybe getting an ISU group together, if there were enough of us out here in New England for something like that? Additionally, where's the best place to put questions about "where on TV/radio/the Internet" for seeing football and basketball games in the future?

I think that is all for now. Sorry for being so late, but it is nice to be in on the party now.

:smile:
Welcome!! and I have always appreciated the hard work and dedication of the band!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Welcome.

For the TV/Radio/Internet info. You would post in the sport's respective forum. Approaching or on game day there will be multiple people looking/asking.

Thank you. Looks like some sort of CloneZone going forward is my best bet, and I'll get to work on the UConn tickets in the football forum.

Thanks to everybody for the greetings back, and looks like I picked a heck of a time to join with Texas A&M bolting, and the first day of band practice (today) in the first and only year of the Big 12 of 10. Hm. Oh well, at least it looks like ISU is aiming for a soft landing place this time.