What’s In the Bag? ***GOLF EQUIPMENT THREAD***

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Doesn't matter what's in the bag, it's how you hit 'em. My irons are a vintage set of Ping eye2s, My driver is a Taylor Made something or other, my son gave it to me, 3 wood V steel, and my putter is a Slotline mallet head. I prefer old school

• Winner
Reactions: iowa_wildcat

Pthedominator

Aug 22, 2015
Just bought some ping eye 2+ irons for my 12 year old. When I went to get them turns out they were eye 2+ copper beryllium irons. Now I am hesitant to let him use them.. At the end of the day I guess they are just club so why not play them. Thoughts?

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Just bought some ping eye 2+ irons for my 12 year old. When I went to get them turns out they were eye 2+ copper beryllium irons. Now I am hesitant to let him use them.. At the end of the day I guess they are just club so why not play them. Thoughts?
They are not illegal to play in tournaments, but don't do any work on them like sanding or drilling because the dust can cause an incurable fatal lung disease. Hitting balls should be just fine though, don't want to scare you.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Lotta people in here with some nice stuff, what’s everyone’s handicap? With all the gear I hope those handicaps are low......lol.

I have a set of irons I bought like 3 years ago off rock bottom golf, Callaway Steelhead XR irons I enjoy, 4 thru A wedge. Hand me down Titleist 913 D2 driver, some old Callaway X forged 54/56/60 degree wedges I picked up at play it again sports in Des Moines and cleaned up and regrooved, and then an odyssey white hot putter.

I was a 6 pre-family. Played 3-5 days a week.

24 years later, I'm likely an 18. I play about once every three years. That didn't go the way I planned.

In my bag:
Like new early 1990's Titleist DCI irons
Like new early 1990's Taylor Made "woods"
Vintage set.

Last edited:
Reactions: drlove

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think I'll end up with a ZX7/ZX5 combo set before end of the year.

So what’s the idea behind the combo? Use the 5’s for longer irons because they provide more forgiveness than the 7’s, due to the longer face? Why not just use 5’s if that’s the goal, as opposed to the combo approach?

I haven’t heard a single person talk about Srixon irons before. Looked them up, and now I’m intrigued. I am a visual player. I can’t stand to look down at something I find gaudy/ugly. Needs to be clean and somewhat thin. I don’t need/want blades, but I don’t want to look at a mallet 5 iron either.

These look pretty damn sharp.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Just updated my old Rossie 2 putter to the new stroke lab rossie with a oversized grip and love it.
Driver - Taylormade M4
Wood -5wood i've had since HS cuz I hit it so damn well, looking to get a new 3wood before next season to cover that distance I can't reach on longer 5s
Irons - 4-AW Callawy Rogue, steel, extended length and XStiff, factory grip
Wedges - 56 I have had since HS cuz I use it around the green and a 58 MD4

Last edited:

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Just updated my old Rossie 2 putter to the new stroke lab rossie with a oversized grip and love it.
Driver - Taylormade M4
Wood -5wood i've had since HS cuz I hit it so damn well, looking to get a new 3wood before next season to cover that distance I can't reach on longer 5s
Irons - 4-AW Callawy Rogue, steel, extended length and XStiff grip
Wedges - 56 I have had since HS cuz I use it around the green and a 58 MD4

Might be just because I picked one up last year, but I would suggest hitting the Mavrik Sub Zero 3W. Things are HOT!

Reactions: srjclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So what’s the idea behind the combo? Use the 5’s for longer irons because they provide more forgiveness than the 7’s, due to the longer face the 5’s for longer irons because they provide more forgiveness than the 7’s, due to the longer face? Why not just use 5’s if that’s the goal, as opposed to the combo approach?

I haven’t heard a single person talk about Srixon irons before. Looked them up, and now I’m intrigued. I am a visual player. I can’t stand to look down at something I find gaudy/ugly. Needs to be clean and somewhat thin. I don’t need/want blades, but I don’t want to look at a mallet 5 iron either.

You got it.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
So what’s the idea behind the combo? Use the 5’s for longer irons because they provide more forgiveness than the 7’s, due to the longer face? Why not just use 5’s if that’s the goal, as opposed to the combo approach?

Brooks Keopka recently just switched to the Srixon ZX7 irons. Being an equipment free agent it's a big deal switching from Mizuno. I haven't seen them myself yet. I'm a lefty, so i'll likely never get to try them.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If I were in the market for irons right now I’d be looking hard at the Srixons.

Also, Srixon and Cleveland are sister companies under parent company Sumitomo.

Reactions: Cydkar and Scott34

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Any idea of anywhere local (Des Moines area is local for me) has these in store? I don’t remember seeing them in Golf Galaxy the last time I was in there.

Think you’d have to dig harder than GG or ****’s to find some locally. Can’t remember the golf stores in DSM...Kinley’s maybe by the airport. Is there a PGA Superstore in DSM yet?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron