What are the benefits of Cyclone Fanatic premium?

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I feel like this thread could have ended after the discussion of the star studded XXX films "Williams Goes Wild" and Blum's Bodacious Bodies". Clearly those weren't as enticing as I thought.
I think Chris and Brent's reenactment of 'Two Chicks one Cup' would have brought more interest. You should have lead with that.

• Haha
  • Puke
Reactions: Jer and alarson

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Which athletes are getting paid? How much are they getting paid? The thing I don't like is it's all secretive. "Give us money but we won't tell you who is getting it, why they're getting it, how much they're getting, etc. And if you don't, we won't be able to keep up. "
I guess I have more trust in Blum and Rank than most others to do their job.

Reactions: NWICY

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
I guess I have more trust in Blum and Rank than most others to do their job.

It's not a trust thing. No one has any reason to distrust them. It's a matter of "you pay $2000 for season tickets, you pay $100/month for YouTubeTV, $1000 cyclone club donation, school merch, overpriced hot dogs at the stadium" and then we're told NIL kept people at Iowa State. Who? How much? Why? How did it transpire? If this is a nonprofit show us the average distributions.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
It's not a trust thing. No one has any reason to distrust them. It's a matter of "you pay $2000 for season tickets, you pay $100/month for YouTubeTV, $1000 cyclone club donation, school merch, overpriced hot dogs at the stadium" and then we're told NIL kept people at Iowa State. Who? How much? Why? How did it transpire? If this is a nonprofit show us the average distributions.
I can agree with that kind of information. I guarantee there is a reason not to be open with that info. I thought you were angling to know which players get what. That's a bad precedent. One it shows others how little it would cost to steal someone. It opens that player up to "friends" and "family" reaching out to them for a "loan", etc. Can you find this information that you want from other collectives? I'm guessing not, and there is a reason.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know this is your schtick. But without We Will, several of the current Cyclone football players would not have stayed at Iowa State and the Cyclone men's basketball coaches brought in a top 10 transfer class thanks in large part to those funds. But I know that doesn't quite add up with your belief system. It does help keep Iowa State competitive and that is our goal at We Will. We want to do all we can instead of just complaining when Iowa State is not competitive.

You gotta give Gunner credit for being committed to the bit.

But thanks for smacking him down periodically.

It ain't a perfect or fair world. But the rules of the game are what they are.

Basketball this year is going to be fun and I know WWC is a big reason why.

So keep it up. I'll see if I can throw the same $$$ in the pot again next year.

:)

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'll echo many sentiments in here.
  1. No ads makes it worthwhile enough, my access glitched for a bit and when the ads were back on I couldn't believe I used live like that.
  2. CF has been part of my daily life for nearly 10 years, and since I'm an ISU grad I can afford the $10/month.
  3. Some complain about how often the insider nuggets get dropped. It's similar to why you don't time the stock market, when there is a need for premium info it comes at you like a fire hose.
  4. Different types of premium info compared to sites like 247. I also like the 247 board, but we go through a new guy every year over there.
  5. Cleaner threads
  6. I love the lineup of podcasts, and I'm guessing those are subsidized by the premium subscriptions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know this is your schtick. But without We Will, several of the current Cyclone football players would not have stayed at Iowa State and the Cyclone men's basketball coaches brought in a top 10 transfer class thanks in large part to those funds. But I know that doesn't quite add up with your belief system. It does help keep Iowa State competitive and that is our goal at We Will. We want to do all we can instead of just complaining when Iowa State is not competitive.
Wait, we get a koozie? I don’t remember the koozie.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Which athletes are getting paid? How much are they getting paid? The thing I don't like is it's all secretive. "Give us money but we won't tell you who is getting it, why they're getting it, how much they're getting, etc. And if you don't, we won't be able to keep up. "

I can sort of see both sides of this. In some ways, I don't want to know and frankly I don't need to know. And we do know the general things (i.e. TJ Tampa took less to play for us than he would have gotten if he had transferred, Omaha didn't take as much as he could have from other schools---although I'm not sure if Omaha's money came from We Will or from TJ's people). And we can sort of tell who is getting money by who participates in various We Will events. If basketball players show up for a tailgate then they got something for it. Or when Will McDonald did the food pantry, we knew he was getting money.

But I'd also like to know that my money isn't going towards someone who got caught up in the gambling stuff for example.

Overall, though, we've probably got to trust the people in charge to make the best decisions. They certainly know better than I do.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Happy to share that privately. It’s the same reason most jobs don’t disclose salaries publicly. Until these deals are forced to become public (which I’m for) it is in a competitive interest to not publish. I can tell you our public tax statement which we filed will show the world what we raised in calendar year 2022, which will be around $700,000.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I was a big opponent to NIL, mostly because you could see it was going to come to where it has. It's disgusting. The way ISU and We Will have done it I can stand behind. We are helping kids pay bills, and they are asked to give back. Hell, that Purchase Moore Hamann Bacon NIL agreement is what this was all about. Pay the kids for their likeness. Paying them to use there name and image on EA Sports. I can stand behind 100%.

I hate the pay to play BS, and that this responsibility falls on the fans. I love the way Brent put it in a recent podcast. This will change in the next 5 years. (Total guess). But you want to stay at least in the conversation until that time. So if me giving $10/month can help us stay afloat during these tumultuous times, I will! (See what I did there?) Just need 1000s more to do the same.

But the fact that I pay nearly $3,000/year for my football tickets and have had them for 25+ years isn't enough, that sucks. What really sucks is all of the fans that live out of state that never have to buy a ticket to a game or the cost of tailgating weekly, yet give nothing to these ventures. If you can't afford $10/month, no shame. But if you are on here ******** about coaches/players and give nothing to the team. You can go **** right off with your realistic opinions.

Regarding the OP, I just tried a premium membership for the last month. I found it hard to find premium info and found just as much negativity on the premium topics as in the general board. I will sign back up, I'm just trying to fund this ISU fascination without my family paying more. I pay for it out of my "fun" money account. If I give too much from that I can't golf as much. ;)

I have been on this site since 2007, so I owe Jeremy, Chris, and the great writing staff. I was thinking about bumping to the $25/month WeWill, thinking that would get me on the premium again, but it looks like I would need to go from $10 to $50/month to get that priv. I still might, but it's a calculated decision. Not sure if this is public information, but if I give $50/month to WeWill, how much of that goes to CF? $12? Or does Chris take a hit because he knows the better the teams are the more this site thrives?
CF takes almost zero of this cost for the good of Iowa State.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
We were never close to shutting down but I won’t lie. When Covid hit, we were in rough shape.

Adding the subscription level the site has changed our company. We provide more podcasts. More social-only content. We cover WBB just like MBB. We travel to cover wrestling postseason (no other local outlet does this. Register is always with Iowa).

I’ll make it very simple. When we took the site over from Jeremy, say for ever 1,000 views, we made 2 bucks. Nowadays, for every 1,000 views, we might make 50 cents. The industry has changed and we had to change with it.

Evolve or die.

I appreciate all of the people who support premium to support us. Really is awesome and we are grateful. But I personally believe I’ve done some of my best work over the last few years with realignment and all of the craziness in college athletics. I hope you have seen the value too.

Regarding the We Will Club, here’s how I see it. If Iowa State goes to hell because its NiL program is awful, that is only going to HURT us. One of the biggest problems I see in the NiL landscape is the constant grabbing for money by different entities that are all working for the same goal. But humans are all consumed by greed and that isn’t more evident in any aspect of life than in college athletics. Ok, that was hyperbolic but you get my point.

If CF can help We Will, it’s going to turn around and help CF in the long run. That’s how I see it at least.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Happy to share that privately. It’s the same reason most jobs don’t disclose salaries publicly. Until these deals are forced to become public (which I’m for) it is in a competitive interest to not publish. I can tell you our public tax statement which we filed will show the world what we raised in calendar year 2022, which will be around $700,000.
Is 2023 trending better? I'm guessing 700k is towards the bottom of all power 5 schools.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I joined to support one of the few Cyclone media outlets and websites. There seem to be very in the media, (even the local media lacks in this) that are willing to cover the Cyclones, so I chose to support those who are willing to do so.

Reactions: tim_redd and NWICY

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I joined to support one of the few Cyclone media outlets and websites. There seem to be very in the media, (even the local media lacks in this) that are willing to cover the Cyclones, so I chose to support those who are willing to do so.

THIS. I'm old enough to remember coverage before CF was a thing. You'd have a mediocre article in the register, and a couple of stories a week on TV.

Now, with CF (and especially Premium) we have like 10 podcasts per week, several dedicated writers to the cause, and a very lively forum for discussion.

I'm a deep-seated clone to the bone, but without CF, I'm sure I'd be much less connected and much less interested.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
THIS. I'm old enough to remember coverage before CF was a thing. You'd have a mediocre article in the register, and a couple of stories a week on TV.

Now, with CF (and especially Premium) we have like 10 podcasts per week, several dedicated writers to the cause, and a very lively forum for discussion.

I'm a deep-seated clone to the bone, but without CF, I'm sure I'd be much less connected and much less interested.
How much better of an employee would you be though?

• Haha
Reactions: NickTheGreat

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
anyone care to help out a fellow cyclone fan? I recently contributed to WE WILL LEVEL in wnich I was to recieve Premium board access.. Recieved the confirmation email and it asked to enter address, which I thought I did. HOW DO I GET TO PREMIUM BOARD?