Info: What browser are the fanatics using these days?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Since so many users seem to be stuck with using IE, how about fixing it so we can use the return key when typing comments.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
Believe it or not, some companies give their IT departments plenty of powers that they use to lord over us poor unfortunate souls. I'm forced to use IE8. Which means half the pages I visit give me an error saying my browser is unsupported.

Wow, that level of control just sounds insane to me.

As I'm typing this, I realize this isn't helping convince others that I have a job . . .

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Some of you need to find new jobs. I'm rocking Chrome in the office at a Fortune 500 company. They recognize that left to spend time browsing all day on IE, plenty of people around here would probably go postal.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Here is a tip for you people in huge companies with IT that has a ton of power. If you're on Windows 7 try downloading the file and clicking "run elevated", that is sometimes an option. Put in a BS reason for running elevated and BAM you got yourself a new browser.

And then IT guy gets email that says "Hey, such and such program has been installed on this computer" and then they come uninstall it for you and get scolded.

Happened to my when I put Python on a computer to play around with writing a few programs to improve some hourly data sets.

I think they thought I was trying to take the whole place down. Got an email with dept. head copied asking what is/why did I install Python.

They let me keep it. But I think wanted to let me know that they know.

Actually...they might be watching me right now...:wideeyed:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
IE8 is not that bad, and IE7 isn't either. It is still inferior to chrome and mozilla, but the previous versions were the terrible ones.

And the fact that it is the default browser on every windows computer means that it is a huge deal that IE was forced to upgrade.

If you are running an old version of IE, I feel very sorry for you.

(I use chrome)

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
And then IT guy gets email that says "Hey, such and such program has been installed on this computer" and then they come uninstall it for you and get scolded.

Happened to my when I put Python on a computer to play around with writing a few programs to improve some hourly data sets.

I think they thought I was trying to take the whole place down. Got an email with dept. head copied asking what is/why did I install Python.

They let me keep it. But I think wanted to let me know that they know.

Actually...they might be watching me right now...:wideeyed:

Well if it is a legit reason then tell them in that box. You should be ok.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I prefer Safari to Chrome on the iPhone but probably just because I'm used to it, they're basically the same.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
I use Firefox and Chrome, and IE when I have to. Chrome IMO is the best option. Overall, as long as I am not using IE I am happy.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Well if it is a legit reason then tell them in that box. You should be ok.

It really depends on the employer and level of security. We are only given IE because that is the only browser which is supported by our intranet, so what is the point in even having another browser? As security is a main concern if we download anything we are not suppose, it will more likely be removed from our computer or we will be told to remove it.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
It really depends on the employer and level of security. We are only given IE because that is the only browser which is supported by our intranet, so what is the point in even having another browser? As security is a main concern if we download anything we are not suppose, it will more likely be removed from our computer or we will be told to remove it.

This is why I love working in IT and being a system administrator. I can download and install whatever I damn well please.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
This is why I love working in IT and being a system administrator. I can download and install whatever I damn well please.

I am pretty sure our guys can't really do that either except for testing purposes.

Although I was talking with our local IT guy and he was telling me about all the "questionable" apps that employees had on their iPads.