What Changes Made ?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, our VB team couldn't be classified as "successful" before Coach Johnson-Lynch arrived in Ames.
Any insight what has she done to change things so spectacularly ?

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Using her track record of success at Nebraska and turning it into getting good recruits. Then working her *** off to get big wins.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
CJL is a very very very good coach. She is taking average players and making them All-Americans. Its all about the basics. This came from someone that knows a lot more about VB than myself and has followed NCAA VB for years.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
her husband, Joe, is brilliant with fundamentals and tactical/technical aspects of the game. He was my girlfriend's club coach in Milwaukee in the mid-90s and he developed a ton of D-I players in his time there. The combo of Joe and Christy is a great 1-2 punch for a coaching staff. I know them both personally and from what I gather, they both like Ames a lot and have a great support network for their new little boy. They are relatively close to family (omaha and wisconsin), so I doubt they'd leave Ames for a job on the coasts. If Pollard can keep sweetening the deal for her to stay at ISU, look for ISU v-ball to be a perennial top 15 power.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Anyone know her salary? Cant be too much to give her a sizeable increase. I doubt she makes much more than 100k, considering Cael and KJ didnt make much more than 110k. Whats a nice 25-50% bump in pay.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Where are the best football programs in the nation? Florida and Texas. Why? Because those two states are the most fertile recruiting territories in the country.

When it comes to volleyball, Iowa and the contiguous states are among the most fertile recruiting territories in the nation. Combine that with one of the most talented volleyball coaches in the nation and an Athletic Director who is doing everything possible to give her the resources she needs, and you have a recipe for a volleyball program that will be a national leader for many years to come.

The volleyball coaches have taken over the old basketball offices in Hilton. When recruits are brought in for campus visits, they are very impressed with the facilities.

Reactions: jsmith86

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Anyone know her salary? Cant be too much to give her a sizeable increase. I doubt she makes much more than 100k, considering Cael and KJ didnt make much more than 110k. Whats a nice 25-50% bump in pay.

According to the DMR salary survey, her annual base salary has been:

06: 84,448
07: 100,000
08: 103,000
09: 130,000

(annual salary is as of July of each of the above years)

Last edited:

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive

Christy Johnson Signs Five-Year Contract - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

She just signed a contract extension at the beginning of the year to keep her here through 2013. Total compensation of the contract 750K (130K next year and 10K increase each year after that). Not sure if she pays her husband anything but she isn't doing to bad for herself.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Joe Lynch's salary

He's now a volunteer assistant so he isn't paid, but he had been paid around 40k per year before that. Basically, her raise meant he could stop being a paid assistant and they'd still get nearly the same amount of money from ISU. I assume he's acting as a part-time assistant, part-time dad since they had a son this past summer.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Winning culture.

Top flight setter - and it all goes from there. CJL was an All-American setter. Was coached by a top setting coach in Terry Pettit. Kinda like QB in football or PG in basketball.... it all starts there.

She got talent - and is overly qualified to develop it. Prove you'll have good/great setters... and the rest of the talent will follow.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks, all. Very enlightening responses.
When I asked Chris Williams during this Cyclone Fanatic chat last week, he told me that the chance for us to retain her is really high since she really likes Ames. I hope we can retain her and who knows, I hope she'll be our Bill Fennelly for our volleyball team and our VB can be a revenue-generating program. (I'm not sure that our WBB is a revenue generating program, but I guess it is)

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Thanks, all. Very enlightening responses.
When I asked Chris Williams during this Cyclone Fanatic chat last week, he told me that the chance for us to retain her is really high since she really likes Ames. I hope we can retain her and who knows, I hope she'll be our Bill Fennelly for our volleyball team and our VB can be a revenue-generating program. (I'm not sure that our WBB is a revenue generating program, but I guess it is)

It isn't. :smile:

Chances volleyball ever turns a profit are approximately 0.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
It is amazing what a solid coach and coaching philosophy can do to any athletic program.

Iowa - 19 straight losing football seasons -- considered at one time to be a graveyard for coaches. Fry comes in and within five years builds the Hawk program so now Iowa is respected nationally. (Ferentz has done a good job of keeping that going.)

Even Iowa wrestling. Not all that good until they hire Dan Gable and the rest is history.

Nebraska went through some rough times in football until Bob Devaney came in and built them to a national power in 10 years. (Then Osborne did the same.)

DaddyMac, cyclonestate and frontrangeclone gave a lot more specifics on what she has done at ISU, but it all goes back to is that Coach Johnson is a proven winner.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Depends what all you include before you get to "profit".

Salaries? Schollies? Room and board? Transportation costs? Facility costs? Recruiting costs?

All of that = no chance of making a profit. Heck, even NU and their sold out (legitimately paid sold out) probably doesn't turn a profit after all that.

IMO - if attendance and ticket sales could get us to where we're paying for "running the program costs" - I think we're well ahead of 95% of the programs out there. Meaning transport, recruiting and coaches. My bet is even with our #7 attendance numbers - we're well off that mark.

But more butts at more dollars shows fan support. And with support, JP has alot more latitude to give the program what it needs to be successful.