What constitutes good art?

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I've been reading a few threads on here regarding things like Daughtry and the sculpture park over the last few weeks and they got me to thinking. What makes good art? For instance, several posters in the sculpture park thread were impressed with the sculptures on display while others were not.

I am really interested in hearing from art or design majors what objective criteria a critic uses in determining whether a work of art is good or not. Isn't all art by nature subject to the tastes of the individual viewer, listener etc? How does one determine what constitutes a great sculpture or song or painting? Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

Cycofan1

Jan 12, 2009
Random Splatters of Paint. (ponder that)

0,,5294330,00.jpg

Last edited:

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I've been reading a few threads on here regarding things like Daughtry and the sculpture park over the last few weeks and they got me to thinking. What makes good art? For instance, several posters in the sculpture park thread were impressed with the sculptures on display while others were not.

I am really interested in hearing from art or design majors what objective criteria a critic uses in determining whether a work of art is good or not. Isn't all art by nature subject to the tastes of the individual viewer, listener etc? How does one determine what constitutes a great sculpture or song or painting? Just curious to see what everyone thinks.
Easy..........it's personal -- there is no accounting for taste.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Random Splatters of Paint. (ponder that)

0,,5294330,00.jpg

Actually, that's pretty good. Not just random spatters of paint, but lots of direction, good use of color and depth. Kind of cool, if you ask me.

I have two friends who do very similar things with faux camo on rifles. The best abstract inspires an emotional response without an obvious focus.

And it's different with everyone. The most impactful art I've ever seen was the figurenfeld near our German house. It's an entire mountainside turned into art. You have to walk the whole thing to see it, and when I arrived to the end I was nearly struck to my knees in strength of evoked emotion.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Actually, that's pretty good. Not just random spatters of paint, but lots of direction, good use of color and depth. Kind of cool, if you ask me.

I have two friends who do very similar things with faux camo on rifles. The best abstract inspires an emotional response without an obvious focus.

And it's different with everyone. The most impactful art I've ever seen was the figurenfeld near our German house. It's an entire mountainside turned into art. You have to walk the whole thing to see it, and when I arrived to the end I was nearly struck to my knees in strength of evoked emotion.

You just blew my mind.

Aaron Jacobs

Sep 24, 2007
Robins, IA
Good art generally comes from people who either are the best at using the design elements and principles, or from someone who is able to show us something in a way we havnt seen before.

A lot of what art is, is viewer response. It really doesn't matter what the artist was saying, it just matters what you think of the art. And it really can be just that you like the shapes or colors, or because you think it says something profound.

The bottom line is, if you like something and can tell people why when they ask it is good art.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
seriously? what are you? some kind of soulless MBA? oh wait...

:biglaugh:

a joke! i kid!

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Some of the stuff in Des moines by the Library...It makes me wonder ...I can take two railroad ties and cross them over each other and call that art.... someone will call it a "two railroad ties"....Hey I can make 1million off of that now...

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
I have a buddy that thinks he can draw and paint pictures. So every time I see his work I need to remind him that his art is more suitable for hanging in the hallway of a elementary school then an art museum, or his own living room!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I red square in the middle of a blue background is not art or at least the kind that people should pay ungodly amounts for.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Some of the stuff in Des moines by the Library...It makes me wonder ...I can take two railroad ties and cross them over each other and call that art.... someone will call it a "two railroad ties"....Hey I can make 1million off of that now...

The DSM Art Center used to have a picture. It was Blue on one side, with a yellow surge that broke into it. It had a clever title: "Yellow/Blue."

It was art to somebody.