What do people do in iowa in November?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I am visiting my non drinking parents near grinnell. I have a week to kill. What is something fun/interesting I can do while on my visit? I am attending the ISU/TEXAS game then staying a week.

Reactions: mkadl and ISUalways

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Go up to the Driftless Area for a few days. The leaves are gone, but the grass is still green and you can really see the countryside. Without all the foliage, the rock formations are even more evident and the ruggedness of the landscape becomes even more apparent.

I'm going for a 10 mile hike in Yellow River State Forest tomorrow. I'd post pics if it wasn't such a headache on this site.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Finding any sort of hiking trails or anything can be good when I visit or fishing etc. if you like that kind of thing. Rivers are low and I'd bet the pike are still around with the warmer temps. Even compared to WI I enjoy that those types of places never feel very busy so the quiet and space is welcomed.

If you're from there and you had a good experience growing up there, visiting old haunts or towns etc. can be interesting.

Until you start to feel the walls close in and feel like if you talked to 2 people you talked to everyone and you're reminded of why you're not there.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Apparently I’m the only one who doesn’t hunt which is what everyone else does.
I'll one-up you. Not only have I never been hunting, I wouldn't even know anyone in my family or who I'm friends with that would be someone I could go with. And I've lived in Iowa for 30+ years.

Someone mentioned Driftless Area, would agree. Going out from Grinnell, you can make day trips out of Iowa City/Cedar Rapids, Dubuque (lots of history), Quad Cities if you wanted. In Des Moines, you have the Botanical Garden, Art Center, possibly some sort of shows between Civic Center & Hoyt Sherman. Other state parks have beautiful scenery for hiking as well. Rock Creek SP is near Grinnell and could be a nice place to spend a few hours getting outside, I've been there before. Backbone is good, Wapsi SP in Anamosa is very pretty.

It's a shame there's not a game at Hilton during that time, probably not much to do in Ames during the window in which you'd be around.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've never hunted in my life and have no desire to.

I’m not anti-hunting it just seems so endlessly boring. I need that like, Texas helicopter boar hunting.

Same with fishing. I love fishing, but if I’m not hitting anything in like the first 30 minutes I’m done.

Reactions: dmclone