What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
I don't listen to sports radio, never have, nor do I follow these goons on (or even use) social media... but I'm pretty sure all but those invested in women's basketball or Hawk fans with nothing else to celebrate moved on long ago.

Yep, she has fans - most athletes do. She did nothing earth shattering for the sport, she just played great and got away with poor sportsmanship because she's white and created controversy because her opponent did the same thing and was black.

Iowa is such a pathetic media state - U of Iowa has always been the bell cow and anything the media can grab onto, they will run into the ground. You combine a Hawkeye story with a female and they go apeshit for months. I understand they have to fill coverage with something, but there are a lot of great stories out there right now they don't touch.

Derp, derp, derpy derp.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
There has been more media coverage about her playing golf than playing in some basketball games.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Man, I'm going to lose sleep... oh wait, not even going to take the time to see the faux outrage on the Twitterverse. She played great, ok... and what is earth shattering about that? Most player of the year candidates do that every year. Not to diminish her talent, which is self evident, but Iowa fans are acting like she saved the sport from ruins.

I'd be a Clark fan if it wasn't for the Iowa fans claiming she's the almighty savior. Ionescu and many before did just as much for the game - that's what great players do, they play great and get fans interested. The difference is they did it with class. When those players leave, many of those programs that don't have the fan support of one like Iowa State go back to sleep. That's why we're always near the top for fan attendance rates in every sport - we're not fairweather fans.

As an Iowa State fan, I love Women's Basketball (unlike all the Iowa fans just now pretending to care), and there are plenty of great players that come and go in the sport. That doesn't fundamentally change the dynamics of the game or take it to another level. Iowa fans will go back to forgetting about WBB within the next year or two.

Last edited:

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Never heard of her which kind of proves the point.
You must not pay attention to local media. She’s going into her senior year at Iowa. She has way less followers than a couple other players currently in WBB. She’s very good but changing the sport or transcending WBB - get real.

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You must not pay attention to local media. She’s going into her senior year at Iowa. She has way less followers than a couple other players currently in WBB. She’s very good but changing the sport or transcending WBB - get real.

Talking about the other player you referenced. I've never heard of that person or at least had forgotten about her.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Talking about the other player you referenced. I've never heard of that person or at least had forgotten about her.
She had 26 triple doubles at Oregon. She was the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft.

The attendance at Oregon women's games had dramatically increased during Ionescu's career at the school. In the season before she arrived, the average announced home attendance for the Ducks was 1,501. Her sophomore season saw an average attendance of over 4,200; it went up to over 7,100 in her junior season and over 10,000 in her senior season.[1] Ionescu was also a significant draw when Oregon went on the road

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
She had 26 triple doubles at Oregon. She was the #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft.

The attendance at Oregon women's games had dramatically increased during Ionescu's career at the school. In the season before she arrived, the average announced home attendance for the Ducks was 1,501. Her sophomore season saw an average attendance of over 4,200; it went up to over 7,100 in her junior season and over 10,000 in her senior season.[1] Ionescu was also a significant draw when Oregon went on the road
Back to 5,600 this past year.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I can't believe some of you people cannot clearly observe, as do I and the rest of the TavernClark's, that Caitlin Clark is not only one of the most important athletes of all-time, but she is also probably the greatest American in history (especially given all that she has overcome).

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I can't believe some of you people cannot clearly observe, as do I and the rest of the TavernClark's, that Caitlin Clark is not only one of the most important athletes of all-time, but she is also probably the greatest American in history (especially given all that she has overcome).

Exactly. I'm sure I'm getting roasted by the Hawk fans that are just now realizing they have a Women's program, but Clark hasn't changed the game. She is an elite talent, there have been many of them. They come and go just like on the men's side. But the bump to a respectable crowd in the silent place called Carver will disappear just as fast as it came. Hilton will continue to be in the top rankings for attendance nationally every year.

If I had girls, I'd love it if they became interested in or increased their interest in Women's basketball because of a player. But Clark carries herself in a smug ass way almost every game - that I wouldn't want them to imitate. Just as I don't like it when male players act like they are the team. If she would show as much interest for the teammates that help her as she does taunting other players, I'd have mad respect.

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 1776 and isufbcurt

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

RIP to all the homies from the DSM Western burbs that never made it to see 22.

Reactions: CyCity

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Let's just hope the THUGS in Cyclone Alley don't get to her and ruin her career the way they did Cordell Pemsl (may he RIP).

edit: Better add this guy . . . . :jimlad:

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
I'm really confused how THAT take is the one that ended up on message board geniuses, when there's a tons other here that are that one but more extreme. Especially now that all the "good" Iowa State fans will tell us how bad people are for thinking negative thoughts about her.

Reactions: Cloned4Life and Jer

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Let's just hope the THUGS in Cyclone Alley don't get to her and ruin her career the way they did Cordell Pemsl (may he RIP).

I heard the Shiv of Destiny gets passed down each year to a new CA committee member.

Status
Not open for further replies.