What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I don't listen to sports radio, never have, nor do I follow these goons on (or even use) social media... but I'm pretty sure all but those invested in women's basketball or Hawk fans with nothing else to celebrate moved on long ago.

Yep, she has fans - most athletes do. She did nothing earth shattering for the sport, she just played great and got away with poor sportsmanship because she's white and created controversy because her opponent did the same thing and was black.

Iowa is such a pathetic media state - U of Iowa has always been the bell cow and anything the media can grab onto, they will run into the ground. You combine a Hawkeye story with a female and they go apeshit for months. I understand they have to fill coverage with something, but there are a lot of great stories out there right now they don't touch.
this is seriously one of the DUMBEST takes this message board has ever had. Probably going to get banned for saying this, but come on... this is such a whiney little baby take about it. Clark is a good player - you can chose not to like her because she's a hawkeye, but saying she's not doing anything for the sport is just being dismissive of the last year of women's basketball. Grow up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
this is seriously one of the DUMBEST takes this message board has ever had. Probably going to get banned for saying this, but come on... this is such a whiney little baby take about it. Clark is a good player - you can chose not to like her because she's a hawkeye, but saying she's not doing anything for the sport is just being dismissive of the last year of women's basketball. Grow up.

What exactly is she doing for the sport?

She's fun to watch and can score 30 with her eyes closed but is what she's doing now going to matter in 5 years? Is women's basketball going to have huge ratings and the WNBA going to be able to stand on its own?

Lobo, Sheryl Swoopes, Lisa Leslie etc. seemed to be generational type talents that really elevated things. Will Clark do the same?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I can't believe some of you people cannot clearly observe, as do I and the rest of the TavernClark's, that Caitlin Clark is not only one of the most important athletes of all-time, but she is also probably the greatest American in history (especially given all that she has overcome).

Don't forget that hawk journalist who said she's better than MJ. LoL

Reactions: madguy30

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
She’s bringing some eyes but evidence shows those eyes will turn away when she’s gone (see Ionescu for example). I love when WBB gets attention, but I’m a firm believer that she’s very cocky and takes away from what the TEAM accomplished this year.

Yes, elite player, but there are elite players every few years, what exactly makes her standout performance so much bigger for the sport than those before her? She isn’t the second coming of Christ and savior of all things WBB like many try to make her seem like.

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
She’s bringing some eyes but evidence shows those eyes will turn away when she’s gone (see Ionescu for example). I love when WBB gets attention, but I’m a firm believer that she’s very cocky and takes away from what the TEAM accomplished this year. Yes, elite player, but there are elite players all the time, what exactly makes her standout performance so much better than those before her? She isn’t the second coming and savior of all things WBB like to make her seem like.
Keep digging that hole. Maybe you can make it on Message Board Geniuses twice in 24 hours.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
She’s bringing some eyes but evidence shows those eyes will turn away when she’s gone (see Ionescu for example). I love when WBB gets attention, but I’m a firm believer that she’s very cocky and takes away from what the TEAM accomplished this year.

Yes, elite player, but there are elite players every few years, what exactly makes her standout performance so much bigger for the sport than those before her? She isn’t the second coming of Christ and savior of all things WBB like many try to make her seem like.
The information that someone shared earlier showed that Oregon attendance is still nearly 4x as high as it was before Ionescu was there.

Some eyes will likely turn away. There will also be new fans that will remain.

Of course she's not the second coming of Christ, that specifically is an absurd comment. She is elite and plays a unique style / pace and handles it with aplomb.

Reactions: 1776 and ISC

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
She’s the best thing that ever happened to Iowa wbb. No doubt a generational talent in college wbb. But that only lasts so long. No one cares about the wnba. So she better make the best of her college years. I personally don’t watch and don’t care. Hawkeye fans and the media go way over the top, but cyclone fans would be in the same boat if she were at ISU. I rarely even watch ISU wbb play and don’t care whether they win or not, so I’m definitely not tuning in to watch iowa play. It’s ok if some fans do not care about women’s sports.

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Sorry but I think you're trying a little too hard to downplay what she did.

- only player in WBB NCAA tourney history to record back-to-back 40-point games
- first WBB player to score 1,000 points and 300 assists in a season
- most points ever in a women's NCAA tourney semifinal (41), against a pretty good South Carolina team
- most 3-pointers in a women's NCAA championship game ever (8)
- most assists in a women's NCAA tourney (60) beating the previous record by 10
- she scored or assisted on ALL 18 of Iowa's 4th quarter points in the win over South Carolina
- drew 9.9 million viewers for title game, peaking at 12.6 million; the previous year drew 4.9 million
- praised by Lebron, Magic, Curry, Mahomes and others

I do think some of her on-court antics are off-putting, never been a fan of trash talk. But to downplay the impact of her season and tourney and try saying it's no different from other WBB stars who've come and gone misses the mark IMO.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Sorry but I think you're trying a little too hard to downplay what she did.

- only player in WBB NCAA tourney history to record back-to-back 40-point games
- first WBB player to score 1,000 points and 300 assists in a season
- most points ever in a women's NCAA tourney semifinal (41), against a pretty good South Carolina team
- most 3-pointers in a women's NCAA championship game ever (8)
- most assists in a women's NCAA tourney (60) beating the previous record by 10
- she scored or assisted on ALL 18 of Iowa's 4th quarter points in the win over South Carolina
- drew 9.9 million viewers for title game, peaking at 12.6 million; the previous year drew 4.9 million
- praised by Lebron, Magic, Curry, Mahomes and others

I do think some of her on-court antics are off-putting, never been a fan of trash talk. But to downplay the impact of her season and tourney and try saying it's no different from other WBB stars who've come and gone misses the mark IMO.
Fair. Like I said, she is elite and it shows. I don’t like the antics and showboating so naturally lump the good with the bad, maybe unfairly so.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Back to 5,600 this past year.

I predict that we won't have to wait until Clark is gone to see a significant decline in attendance in Iowa City. If they end up in the middle of the Big 10 pack, lots of their "fans" won't show up this year. It was the big wins and front-running status, not just the dramatic play of Clark that brought their band-wagon fans to Carver-Hokeye Arena.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I predict that we won't have to wait until Clark is gone to see a significant decline in attendance in Iowa City. If they end up in the middle of the Big 10 pack, lots of their "fans" won't show up this year. It was the big wins and front-running status, not just the dramatic play of Clark that brought their band-wagon fans to Carver-Hokeye Arena.

I'll respectfully disagree on that one. They'll ride the Clark train till she graduates then drop off in about 3 yrs. She is their generational gunner. The range of her shooting is entertaining if your a hawk fan.

I hope you're right though.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
My personal info has been posted and already receiving threatening emails. That hasn’t happened in several years. When the post has been seen 400,000 times, it’s pretty personal.

This year sucked enough with 2 strokes, a heart attack, 2 months of mental health leave, 42 doctor appointments, etc.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
The men’s had 15 million and I can’t tell you who a single player on SDSU team is/was.

Nor a player on UCONN and I watched a couple games of theirs.

You cannot possibly be this stupid lol.

The men's tournament always does well, it is an event on its own, the teams barely matter. The women's tournament doing as well as it did is a massive outlier and it's largely because of her. It was almost double what the next highest rated title game of all time did. She is a big national star, I am sorry this hurts your feelings because you don't like the shirt she plays in

Status
Not open for further replies.