What is the oldest item you use on a regular basis?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm not home so no picture but I have my Grandmother's aluminum Wearever baking pan. We probably use it 6-10 times per month for something. It has to be 100 years old. Cooks even,puts a nice crisp on things and cleans up easy.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
We have an desert tortoise that we adopted from the state because it was injured in the wild. Not quite sure how old it is, but they can easily live over 100 years.

Of course we don’t “use” it per say (that’d be weird probably), but it will someday be the oldest thing we have.

When we went to choose one to adopt, they had an 80-year-old one. The granddaughter of the original owner had to return it because she moved and didn’t have a yard for it any more.
What is owning a desert tortoise like? Does it recognize people?

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
What is owning a desert tortoise like? Does it recognize people?
Sometimes I think he does. The other day I went out and just sat in the grass by its den (a half-buried ceramic pot in the yard). He walked up to me and took a dump right in front of me.

But other times, he just ignores people and just walks around wherever he feels like it and doesn't pay much attention. He also doesn't like to be surprised. So if you approach him from behind and he suddenly notices you, he will retract into his shell. If you approach from the front and he sees you coming, he's cool with it. Untitled.jpg

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Sometimes I think he does. The other day I went out and just sat in the grass by its den (a half-buried ceramic pot in the yard). He walked up to me and took a dump right in front of me.

But other times, he just ignores people and just walks around wherever he feels like it and doesn't pay much attention. He also doesn't like to be surprised. So if you approach him from behind and he suddenly notices you, he will retract into his shell. If you approach from the front and he sees you coming, he's cool with it. View attachment 116790
Do you ever take him to the vet for checkups and stuff? Curious as to what that looks like.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Do you ever take him to the vet for checkups and stuff? Curious as to what that looks like.
I haven’t. I just figured he was nature’s equivalent of a tank. But even tanks need checkups, I guess.

The DNR gave us a handbook when we adopted it, so I just follow that. Oh and I stick him in the basement cold storage from November until March to hibernate. So super low maintenance then.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I haven’t. I just figured he was nature’s equivalent of a tank. But even tanks need checkups, I guess.

The DNR gave us a handbook when we adopted it, so I just follow that. Oh and I stick him in the basement cold storage from November until March to hibernate. So super low maintenance then.

Wait, what? What do you put him in? And he is ok with that?

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Wait, what? What do you put him in? And he is ok with that?
Yep … they need to hibernate at below 60 degrees for several months. That mimics the winter in the wild. I stop feeding him about 7-10 days before hibernation so the food doesn’t sit in his stomach all winter.

Once a month, take him out and soak him in warm water to prevent dehydration and he’s good for another month.

I have a little den in the basement cold storage with heat lamps. About March I set them to turn on at sunrise and off at sunset to simulate spring.

But during the winter, no heat. It usually is between 45-55, which is good because it slows the metabolism down and prevents too many calories from being burned.

• Informative
Reactions: ianoconnor

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Well, I just realized I have something I use regularly, but only in winter, that is 47 years old! In 1977-78 I got these leather top/rubber lower winter shin high boots. The sole says made in Korea, and there is a Canadian Maple Leaf on the sides. Pretty sure I got them in my little town's Coast-to-Coast store. I have an image of them to show that they are in good shape yet that I'll try and link.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
il_fullxfull.3713181170_t5mc.jpg
I have an alarm clock that won’t die too. I’ve thought about getting a new one, but going to see if it outlasts me.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I have a 15 year old calculator that cost a dollar at the dollar store and I use it at work every single day and no way should it have lasted this long. It seriously should have lasted like a month and it just keeps working.
Funny, I bought a TI BA35 in 1986. I used it everyday at work. It finally gave up the ghost about 2 years ago. I only remember changing the battery once in all those years.

Reactions: StClone