What is/was your GPA?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ag Bus 2.42 and never on TE. Worked food service 3 years and did a 6 month internship, work at Hilton and went out a least 3 nights a week!

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Majors: Horticulture, Landscape Architecture
Minor: Design Studies
Cum GPA: 3.76

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Major: mechanical engineering
Cum GPA: 3.56
Core GPA: 3.78

Not a big fan of humanities.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Major: mechanical engineering
Cum GPA: 3.56
Core GPA: 3.78

Not a big fan of humanities.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My overall GPA was 3.10. My major was accounting. I think my major GPA was better, but I'm not sure. I would have done a lot better in the 70's when they only gave out straight grades---no A-'s or B+'s etc. I got a lot of A-'s and B-'s.

I actually have been out of school for almost 9 years and just got a new job last year. I had to submit my transcripts before they'd interview me and they had a GPA requirement. So occasionally, your GPA will still matter.

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
*Sigh* I guess I'll make all the engineers feel better...

Major: Electrical Engineering (@ISU)
Final GPA: 2.5

I coasted through high school and my freshman year in college with minimal effort. But when I actually needed to study my sophomore and junior years, I didn't and got pretty bad grades. During my last 1.5 years I learned to balance my schoolwork and social life and recovered.

While I do have a nice full-time engineering job, I do not at all recommend anyone think a 2.5 in engineering will guarantee them a job.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
3.10 in JLMC, anything above a 3.5 is a red flag to potential employers that they might be hiring a smart ***.

Could be true. One of the items I and couple of other more senior staffs in my previous workplace was it was extremely difficult to give performance feedback to these "superstars" as they think the world revolves around them.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I interview and hire engineers often and I've never asked any of them what their GPA is. As long as they have an engineering degree from an accredited school, that speaks volumes. Social skills aren't important as long as they can speak intelligently to technical details. If I see something like University of Phoenix, it immediately goes in the trash. (sorry to anyone "studying" there)

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
Major: Finance/Economics
Minor: Accounting

Grade Point: 3.2

Got my MBA at Iowa with a 3.9. Classes were a joke, graded on a big curve, just a re-hash of everything I already learned in my undergrad.

Grade point only matters for your first job out of college. After that it's all about your EQ (Emotional Intelligence). The higher your EQ the higher you'll go on the ole corporate ladder. One of the things they told us in Grad school was 80% of CEO's had a grade point average of 2.8 but an extremely high EQ. Give people like me hope I guess.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I only have a vague idea what my college, let alone high school GPA, tallied. The only time I was ever asked was on the grad school application. It was on the low side, but faculty still voted to accept me into the program. I was on TE more than once as an udergrad and took the friggin chemisty classes more than once...
:confused:
Today, have a rock star job compared to my classmates that had substantially higher GPAs. Why? - IMO it boils down to communication and people skills.

I've had to fire one person who had phenomenal GPA undergrad through Ph.D. But, I've seen frogs interact in a team atmosphere better than she did. That bad hire rocked my staff to the core and I had to remove the tumor before I lost the good people.

When I hire today, I look for people skills, good communication, initiative/self motivation and technical proficiencies. There has to be some kind of happen medium among those abilities - or expect big trouble.

Here's a few hints when out looking for a job -
1) If you send me a resume with typos or grammar errors, I round file it pronto.
2) If you show up at the interview unprepared or looking like you couldn't afford to do laundry the last month, you're toast.
3) If you ask during the interview, "Are you serious about this 40-hr week thing? You cut everyone slack, right?" the interview will be over before the last word is out of your mouth.
4) Cut the hair and remove all the weird piercings. It's your right to express yourself however you want, but my employer cannot be represented by people that look like they just made bail a couple hours ago.

You may think I'm making those up, but I wouldn't have believed 'em if I did see 'em.

GPA worries? - You're better off graduating from an accredited program, do well enough to have one of your instructors be a reference, have some kind of work experience even if it's delivering papers or flipping burgers, present yourself well and use common sense.

That's my 2-cents worth.

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
I only have a vague idea what my college, let alone high school GPA, tallied. The only time I was ever asked was on the grad school application. It was on the low side, but faculty still voted to accept me into the program. I was on TE more than once as an udergrad and took the friggin chemisty classes more than once...
:confused:
Today, have a rock star job compared to my classmates that had substantially higher GPAs. Why? - IMO it boils down to communication and people skills.

I've had to fire one person who had phenomenal GPA undergrad through Ph.D. But, I've seen frogs interact in a team atmosphere better than she did. That bad hire rocked my staff to the core and I had to remove the tumor before I lost the good people

When I hire today, I look for people skills, good communication, initiative/self motivation and technical proficiencies. There has to be some kind of happen medium among those abilities - or expect big trouble.

Here's a few hints when out looking for a job -
1) If you send me a resume with typos or grammar errors, I round file it pronto.
2) If you show up at the interview unprepared or looking like you couldn't afford to do laundry the last month, you're toast.
3) If you ask during the interview, "Are you serious about this 40-hr week thing? You cut everyone slack, right?" the interview will be over before the last word is out of your mouth.
4) Cut the hair and remove all the weird piercings. It's your right to express yourself however you want, but my employer cannot be represented by people that look like they just made bail a couple hours ago.

You may think I'm making those up, but I wouldn't have believed 'em if I did see 'em.

GPA worries? - You're better off graduating from an accredited program, do well enough to have one of your instructors be a reference, have some kind of work experience even if it's delivering papers or flipping burgers, present yourself well and use common sense.

That's my 2-cents worth.

I agree 100%. I hire for attitude and personality first, skills 2nd. I can teach skills to most anyone, but you can't change someone's attitude or personality.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
bugs4cy;1640241 3) If you ask during the interview said:
Couldn't agree more with you: I've seen newbies saying "I've hit my 40 hours, can I go now ? " There's nothing wrong working 40 hours, but they have to show that they have the initiative. I don't want to force my staff to work more than 40 hours but if the job needs to get done and it takes more than 40 hours, they better be prepared to work until the job gets done