What is/was your GPA?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
At many engineering career fairs, the first question they ask is GPA and it can immediately exclude you from any further interest from the hiring company.

True, but engineering is not a career that involves personal skills. In most careers, there is more needed that simply knowledge. In engineering that may not be the case.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
At many engineering career fairs, the first question they ask is GPA and it can immediately exclude you from any further interest from the hiring company.

not engineering but my first employer also had a min gpa requirement and everyone said they were pretty strict about it, my b- overall average did not meet the standard, but I decided I really wanted to work for them, made a couple connections at a career night they had, followed up relentlessly until I got an interview, they ended up hiring me. GPA is certainly important, but it can still be done at least 12 years ago when the job market had some demand. If you don't have the grades, but have the potential - stick with it, you never know what might happen.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
True, but engineering is not a career that involves personal skills. In most careers, there is more needed that simply knowledge. In engineering that may not be the case.

Myth! :confused:

Engineers need to be able to communicate with customers, designers, management, workers, the general public, or you name it. Well, I should say a successful engineer needs to be able to do that. Personal skills are important in 90% of jobs out there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Engineers need to be able to communicate with customers, designers, management, workers, the general public, or you name it. Well, I should say a successful engineer needs to be able to do that. Personal skills are important in 90% of jobs out there.

So their personal skills are more important that "engineering" skills? Doubtful, at least I hope that is not the case. I didn't say they were unimportant but I guess if I was hiring an engineer, I would want to see them excel in what they had done scientifically and maybe lack in the social area rather than the other way around. I would say that in engineering, you use a much higher percentage of what you learn in college relative to other fields.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
For the record I worded the first post incorrectly. I meant that they are not as important initially, not that they are not important at all.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
2.9 HS
3.005 BME at Valpo! HeeHee- 4.0 Student Teaching helped out and pushed me over the edge.
3.67 MM at New Mexico
Basically I got the good student discount for driving- which was what my dad cared about. If not for the booze my freshman year of college, maybe a 3.4 was more my speed...

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009

Debatable depending on the type of job and engineering field. Husband is a CompE. I'd say 89% of his coworkers have subpar social skills. But it doesn't matter because they just sit in front of a computer coding or running tests for the better part of the day. Those 11% that do have a modicum of social skills are the ones who are project managers or ones who interact with people on a daily basis (and even them some of them have better personal skills than others).

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
3.34 Cumulative
Civil Engineering
I don't remember anyone breaking it down to just major classes in those old and dark days of the quarter system.

I was formerly in a position to hire engineers at my previous position. One resume listed a degree from like 1969 and then told me the GPA, something like 2.2. This guy had a list of accomplishments and job history that was stellar. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out WhY somebody would list their low GPA on a resume 35 years after the fact.

He didn't get hired but that wasn't really the reason. Just a good story. Once you've established a work history your GPA doesn't mean squat.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti53kjHsAas]YouTube - Office Space - People Skills.flv[/ame]

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
GPA: 3.13
Major: Mathematics with a focus in quantitative analysis; Major GPA around 3.0
Minor: Statistics

Overall, it doesn't seem that GPA has been too important for me yet. Although I'm also still waiting on bunches of internships to send something back.

fatmoldy

Mar 15, 2007
Northwest Iowa
GPA: 3.13
Major: Mathematics with a focus in quantitative analysis; Major GPA around 3.0
Minor: Statistics

Overall, it doesn't seem that GPA has been too important for me yet. Although I'm also still waiting on bunches of internships to send something back.

That major sounds terrible! lol jk but I'm taking Chem 211 (Quantitative and Analytical Chemistry) and it BLOWS

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
DMACC: lol 3.7 GPA
ISU:.....2.8 GPA... I really wish your DMACC grades/GPA transferred over to ISU...

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
That major sounds terrible! lol jk but I'm taking Chem 211 (Quantitative and Analytical Chemistry) and it BLOWS

Ughh... Chemistry sounds worse to me. Took Chem 167 back in my first semester of freshman year (2007 seems like it was so long ago now)

...and I get that math major sounds terrible a lot, go figure.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
3.7 GPA for my MBA. 3.3 for my undergrad.
I haven't had a time to read the entire thread but GPA could be important when companies do initial screening: these days, you'd be really lucky to get interview with 2.5 GPA. 3 is the minimum (at least in my old place). You can get interview with 2.8-2.9 but you need to have a strong case to support it and other things to support you (e.g campus activities, etc).
GPA is not the sole measure whether you're smart or not or whether you can work or not, but sometimes it's a good indicator on how you commit yourself when you're on your own. It might take you to the door but that's it.
I've seen a lot of my former staffs who boast 3.7 GPA, honor roll, etc and in the end of the day they end up fired, leaving or kissing the boss' b.tts because that's the only way to enhance their careers as they can't perform.

Same thing with other stuffs, GMAT, GRE, etc - it shouldn't be used to judge whether someone can work, smart, or will be successful.

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
High school = 4.17 weighted, I think that would have been about a 3.87-3.9 unweighted, but I'm not sure.

ISU - major: instrumental music education, minor: political science
Cumulative = 3.78, 2 semesters to go (don't expect it to go any lower, as one semester left is student teaching...AKA, show up, get an A).

I don't know about any other majors, but I had to complete a functional portfolio to get above a D during student teaching. I thought all majors required that as an assessment to pass the course?

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
When I finally went back and did 4 years at Simpson I got a 3.1 in Communications, minor in management.

Lowest semester was .65 4 F's and 1 D- first semester at ISU. I attended Hawkeye, UNI, ISU, and Finally Simpson. Only transferred 29 credits from the first 3 :biglaugh: Lets just say I completely wasted 25k in 4 years, took a break, and finally got my degree in 11 short, wonderful, and a few blacked out years!!

Not exactly proud, but it was fun, and the last 4 were very beneficial.

Piece of paper is all that matters, I would have the same job without the degree right now, but I have it to show in the next oportunity.

Help Support Us

Become a patron