What music are you listening to right now?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Going to see the Eels tonight! I've only seen them live once before in Iowa City many years ago.

Nice. The Eels and Collective Soul are two 90s bands I really want to see that, for some forsaken reason, I haven't yet. CS never seems to play solo shows in KC (always an opener for bands I hate) and I always have conflicts with the Eels. Pretty remarkable when you consider how many shows I go to...and travel for...in a given year.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I took my almost-teenage daughter to Portland a couple of weeks ago for a Yeah Yeah Yeahs concert, and it was so much fun. Their new album has been refreshingly good for a 2000s band coming back after many years:

How was that venue? I've only been to the Roseland and that was several years ago. But I need to get back out there at some point in the near future and like to be picky about venues. Nothing worse than seeing an artist in a POS venue.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
How was that venue? I've only been to the Roseland and that was several years ago. But I need to get back out there at some point in the near future and like to be picky about venues. Nothing worse than seeing an artist in a POS venue.

Outdoor concerts are always sort of a crapshoot, and so I also had concerns!

It was shockingly well laid out. The show was sold out, but all of the seating was still accessible and close-feeling on a gentle hill. Lots of McMenamins food vendors, although I wouldn’t say the options were fantastic (at least by PDX food truck standards). We Ubered, and the pickup system was really efficient. The port-a-potties were plentiful but a long way from the stage, is maybe my only complaint.

My big advice would be to bring bug spray.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Sorry, two other thoughts.

People start putting their chairs down to line up really far in advance the day of. People start putting their chairs down to line up really far in advance the day of. We got there probably 2 1/2 hours before the show, and we were already quite a ways up the hill. I can’t even imagine how far back the line went to after we got there. Since we had traveled, we only brought beach towels, but I think low camp chairs would have been way more comfortable. Everybody sat during Perfume Genius, but we ended up standing during the headliner, so ultimately that part didn’t matter as much.

We ran into some cousins who live there, who have driven. I do understand that parking can be a little bit crazy. That is definitely something to research ahead of time if you plan to drive!

Last edited:

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Sorry, two other thoughts.

People start putting their chairs down to line up really far in advance the day of. People start putting their chairs down to line up really far in advance the day of. We got there probably 2 1/2 hours before the show, and we were already quite a ways up the hill. I can’t even imagine how far back the line went to after we got there. Since we had traveled, we only brought beach towels, but I think low camp chairs would have been way more comfortable. Everybody sat during Perfume Genius, but we ended up standing during the headliner, so ultimately that part didn’t matter as much.

We ran into some cousins who lives there, who have driven. I do understand that parking can be a little bit crazy. That is definitely something to research ahead of time if you plan to drive!

Good information.

I've been up to Marymoor in the Seattle area and I'm guessing it's somewhat similar, though Edgefield has a larger capacity I believe. The sound for me up there was iffy, but the surroundings and food options (food trucks in the back) were tremendous.

Outdoor venues rarely have great to awesome sound and I've only been to 3 places where I'd give the sound an A+ rating. Surly Field (MPLS), Red Rocks, and Starlight (KC) are the only ones and of those, when everything is perfect, Starlight has the best. All of the really big ones suck and the smaller places can be iffy because it's not a permanent setup.

• Friendly

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I took my almost-teenage daughter to Portland a couple of weeks ago for a Yeah Yeah Yeahs concert, and it was so much fun. Their new album has been refreshingly good for a 2000s band coming back after many years:

Truly underrated.

• Friendly

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Jealous! They put on a great show

Yeah, it was amazing, and the venue just made it that much better. Acoustics in that barn are awesome, the floor boards were shaking from the bass. You are up so close to the performers. Wilderado said they've been wanting to play there for a long time, a bucket list place for them. They were traveling from Tennessee (I think?) to St. Paul and had an open night on their calendar, so they fit this in on their way.

I want to see them at Hinterland so bad now, but I don't want to pay over $100 to see them. Jealous of anyone else going.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So excited, the new Waukee Live Nations arena is opening in November! 1st show is Skillet with Theory of a Deadman.

So far my July shows include;
  • Falling In Reverse w/ Ice Nine Kills
  • Motionless in White w/ In This Moment
  • Papa Roach

Reactions: Stewo and 0u812

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Good information.

I've been up to Marymoor in the Seattle area and I'm guessing it's somewhat similar, though Edgefield has a larger capacity I believe. The sound for me up there was iffy, but the surroundings and food options (food trucks in the back) were tremendous.

Outdoor venues rarely have great to awesome sound and I've only been to 3 places where I'd give the sound an A+ rating. Surly Field (MPLS), Red Rocks, and Starlight (KC) are the only ones and of those, when everything is perfect, Starlight has the best. All of the really big ones suck and the smaller places can be iffy because it's not a permanent setup.

I haven't been to any of those somehow (I was going to try to get tickets to a show at Surly pre-COVID, but didn't make it - and only done Azura outdoors in KC). I wouldn't say that the sound was perfect by ANY means, but it was better than I expected. I think because it's still got such a small feel, and everyone is pretty close, you don't really notice it a ton. Plus, Karen O's voice sort of just transcends everything when she's belting it out - I will say the sound didn't carry as well during "Maps" as I would have loved.

They get a great series of acts through there, which is nice. I can only imagine that Seattle is similar, though!

Truly underrated.

OMG, they're just so good. We got our children into them pretty young with Karen O doing her solo stuff with Danger Mouse, etc.

Reactions: ZRF

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I haven't been to any of those somehow (I was going to try to get tickets to a show at Surly pre-COVID, but didn't make it - and only done Azura outdoors in KC). I wouldn't say that the sound was perfect by ANY means, but it was better than I expected. I think because it's still got such a small feel, and everyone is pretty close, you don't really notice it a ton. Plus, Karen O's voice sort of just transcends everything when she's belting it out - I will say the sound didn't carry as well during "Maps" as I would have loved.

They get a great series of acts through there, which is nice. I can only imagine that Seattle is similar, though!

OMG, they're just so good. We got our children into them pretty young with Karen O doing her solo stuff with Danger Mouse, etc.

Azura is a joke. Locals still call it Sandstone as it changes names every few years. Mammoth basically rents it out from the "city" of Bonner Springs for something paltry, like a million a year, and they've been directing anything and everything there because it's a cash cow. Even when the venue is way to big for the artist. The place hasn't been updated in years and almost everyone local hates the place.

Starlight is truly a crown jewel of the city and is an amazing place to see anything. The sound system is ******* incredible, there isn't a bad seat in the house, and the facilities are truly top notch. Only complaints are slow/mediocre concessions, but that's a minor quibble given it's a non-profit. I highly recommend checking out a show there as it's definitely worthy of a trip.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Azura is a joke. Locals still call it Sandstone as it changes names every few years. Mammoth basically rents it out from the "city" of Bonner Springs for something paltry, like a million a year, and they've been directing anything and everything there because it's a cash cow. Even when the venue is way to big for the artist. The place hasn't been updated in years and almost everyone local hates the place.

Starlight is truly a crown jewel of the city and is an amazing place to see anything. The sound system is ******* incredible, there isn't a bad seat in the house, and the facilities are truly top notch. Only complaints are slow/mediocre concessions, but that's a minor quibble given it's a non-profit. I highly recommend checking out a show there as it's definitely worthy of a trip.

We went to a festival there back in 2017 that was originally supposed to be at Children's Mercy Park, but got moved for some reason. It wasn't awesome - especially the "second stage," which was really just a muddy grass lot with a stage thrown together on it.