What's streaming that's good TV/movies

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The ending of Shogun is not going to please some people lol. I went from not liking it to actually liking it over the course of a day but my initial reaction was not great.

I actually compare it to the battle in The Hobbit. How it was portrayed in the book vs the movie series. The way you assume would be better and assume you’ll see isn’t necessarily better.
I thought it was an interesting and unexpected turn with the end of the next to last episode. It definitely led to a letdown effect for the finale though.

• Agree
Reactions: legi

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought it was an interesting and unexpected turn with the end of the next to last episode. It definitely led to a letdown effect for the finale though.

That didn't shock me as much as the Hobbit comparison. In the book and animated movie Bilbo does his heroic deeds outsmarting Gollum and Smaug, then he actually gets knocked out before the Battle of Five Armies and he just gets a quick summary of what happened when he wakes up. In the bloated movie series they turn an entire 2-3 hour film into the part he is knocked out for. You think the "show me the whole thing" way would be more awesome, but really I don't think it is. My first Shogun reaction was pretty negative, then the more I thought about it I liked the whole thing.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
The new Franklin series on APPLE TV is pretty good. Heavy on the French, have to wade through a lot of subtitles, but overall very nice period piece. Michael Douglas makes for an interesting Ben Franklin that's for sure.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just binged it. Wow. That went to dark, unexpected places.

Also just finished binging all of Baby Reindeer. Hard to even digest everything at this point. Really had an impact on me, and for that reason I think it should be up for some awards.

Still just kind of speechless, which is very unusual for me. A lot of people are not going to like it I think, but it is sure making me think about a lot of things right now. Mainly…. never EVER judge anyone you know nothing about. Which is a great message for everyone!

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The new Franklin series on APPLE TV is pretty good. Heavy on the French, have to wade through a lot of subtitles, but overall very nice period piece. Michael Douglas makes for an interesting Ben Franklin that's for sure.
I’m finding I love subtitles. They force me to lock in and concentrate on what I’m watching.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
3 Body Problem is good so far.

I was planning on boyoctting it cuz the showrunners are the guys who did GoT (and ruined GoT) but it's actually pretty good.

Admit it, it took a minute to figure out that Jack was Samwell Tarly.

:chris:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Started "Good Bye Earth" last night on Netflix. Got through episodes 1-4 last night. While story is a novel storyline, the way they flip between points in time seems random half the time and the acting is atrocious. While I like a lot of Korean shows (Gyeongseong Creature is a really good recent one), this is one of those where the acting is the "over the top" with expression and stereotypes of some Asian acting. It's hard to get past the acting.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone watch the 2nd Rebel Moon? Not sure why I did but I did. It certainly wasn't good but I at least enjoyed it better than the 1st. Mostly because the second half just leaned into being a straight action flick. Like the first movie it looks fantastic but there is still a lot of "WTF is this plot" and crappy dialogue. Also, I think Snyder would make a whole movie in slow motion if he could lol

Woof. It is awful. Watched it last night and even fast forwarded a few times. Almost turned it off but thought I'd try to hold on for the big climatic battle thingie. I love sci-fi but this is a good example of why I had to change my mantra of "Bad sci-fi is better than no sci-fi at all" to "Mediocre sci-fi is better than no sci-fi at all".

The plot makes no sense whatsoever. The whole interstellar traveling ship coming multiple times to steal some little villages grain might work better for a tale of Vikings longships. Maybe just make it a search for our boring as hell heroine. Man that's a lot of money spent on special effects and sets that would have been better put into hiring a writer. Jeez there are a dozen low end Kindle Unlimited sci-fi books that would make a better basis for a sci-fi movie series.

And, LOL at the slow motion stuff.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Woof. It is awful. Watched it last night and even fast forwarded a few times. Almost turned it off but thought I'd try to hold on for the big climatic battle thingie. I love sci-fi but this is a good example of why I had to change my mantra of "Bad sci-fi is better than no sci-fi at all" to "Mediocre sci-fi is better than no sci-fi at all".

The plot makes no sense whatsoever. The whole interstellar traveling ship coming multiple times to steal some little villages grain might work better for a tale of Vikings longships. Maybe just make it a search for our boring as hell heroine. Man that's a lot of money spent on special effects and sets that would have been better put into hiring a writer. Jeez there are a dozen low end Kindle Unlimited sci-fi books that would make a better basis for a sci-fi movie series.

This is what annoys me with netflix, how they throw hundreds of millions at these really bad movies (rebel moon movies cost $160 million) that I think no one watches(?) and if you do watch you watch once and then never again. Looking at the slate for 2024 i really don't see anything that peaks my interest besides the pop tart origin story movie... lol. Most of the big budget movies they fund on netflix are just "throw an a-list actor into spy action movie that cost $200 million, these chumps will watch it". But maybe it's a me problem and I'm just too picky.
But I'm sure they'll pump their subscription up a time or two this year to pay for these godawful movies. I'll admit when they have good stuff like 3 Body Problem, they seem to do better with series than movies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This is what annoys me with netflix, how they throw hundreds of millions at these really bad movies (rebel moon movies cost $160 million) that I think no one watches(?) and if you do watch you watch once and then never again. Looking at the slate for 2024 i really don't see anything that peaks my interest besides the pop tart origin story movie... lol. Most of the big budget movies they fund on netflix are just "throw an a-list actor into spy action movie that cost $200 million, these chumps will watch it". But maybe it's a me problem and I'm just too picky.
But I'm sure they'll pump their subscription up a time or two this year to pay for these godawful movies. I'll admit when they have good stuff like 3 Body Problem, they seem to do better with series than movies.
On the Netflix "desktop" site, you can download your entire viewing history. I did that a month ago and found that at that time I had watched 1,800 episodes and/or movies on Netflix in the past 18 months alone. That doesn't count Hulu, sports, ESPN+, etc. While that is sad - it's because my health basically leaves me couch ridden from around 5:30 to bed (between 10 and 11) each night. Because I have the basement all to myself, I can watch pretty much whatever I want (horror, thriller, etc) without worry of the kids.

So with that, I've watched pretty much everything created by Netflix and I continue to find the things that come from overseas to be the best (though I almost exclusively watch ones in or dubbed in English). The acting can sometimes be odd because of the different mannerisms, over the top acting (mostly Asian films), but the storylines are usually far more creative.

Ironically, those shows and movies are probably the lowest budget content on Netflix. Now, with the volume I watch, I have to set my standards pretty low so I'm rarely disappointed. However, the big budget American Netflix movies rarely top some of those foreign flicks. There are exceptions, but that's true probably 90% of the time.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Yeah the story just makes no sense. Why would some intergalactic empire care about a few hundred bags of grain? Also the bad guys might be worse at shooting than storm troopers lol

Help Support Us

Become a patron