What's streaming that's good TV/movies

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Watched Quiet and Soft on Netflix last night. It's 90 minutes of a single continuous take in a real-time social commentary on racism and extremism in America. I almost vomited listening to it as it's far to real and absolutely hated the one-take concept.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I just watched The Sum of All Fears, one of my favorite underrated movies. I was going to watch it last week before the super bowl, but decided that probably wasn't a great idea. If you know you know.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency and Gorm

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If you are just paying for yourself then yes, $20 is probably too much. But, if you have a family of 4 then $20 is a bargain over going to the theater especially when you factor in the other costs of going to the theater like pourcyne did.
Date night is so much cheaper if staying home. Throw in a Tombstone and split a case of Busch Light and you are still ahead. The magic room is right down the hall...

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Date night is so much cheaper if staying home. Throw in a Tombstone and split a case of Busch Light and you are still ahead. The magic room is right down the hall...

You refer to the bathroom as the magic room? I mean, I get it after a Tombstone and some Bosch Lights. You feel like a magician for making it there before all hell breaks loose. But don’t publicize that.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You refer to the bathroom as the magic room? I mean, I get it after a Tombstone and some Bosch Lights. You feel like a magician for making it there before all hell breaks loose. But don’t publicize that.
I'm a over-sharer.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
SIAP but just finished the newest season of Fargo. I thought it was great. My wife didn't like the backstory stuff with the hired killer and the ending but I kinda liked it. Wondering what others thought.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
SIAP but just finished the newest season of Fargo. I thought it was great. My wife didn't like the backstory stuff with the hired killer and the ending but I kinda liked it. Wondering what others thought.
My wife loved it. I thought it was okay. Probably boils down to whether you care for the supernatural element to it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Have been gravitating towards the British shows on Netflix recently. I’ve enjoyed just about anything based on Harlan Coben novel.

Just finished Griselda but didn’t really like it. Got way too dark for me at the end which - in retrospect - I should have anticipated as that’s pretty much how all drug cartel shows go :)

Just started new season of the F1 show. Haven’t come around to actually watching F1 yet, but I’m more fascinated by this than I thought I would be (really not a racing fan).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Really excited for Shogun. Premiere is the 27th on FX

Bump. Odd rollout for this, at least on the FX side of the FX/Hulu thingie. Episodes 1 and 2 drop tonight on air at 9:00 central back-to-back at 90 minutes or so each. I don't have Hulu so need to catch these two tonight.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just finished Episode 1. Pretty disappointing. Maybe I set my expectations too high but this is far below what I was expecting. Cinematography is very average and not buying the actor playing the Pilot. The whole thing seems mediocre. Was thinking this was going to be movie theater level production in line with some of the best epic TV mini-series. It is not. :(

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Just finished Episode 1. Pretty disappointing. Maybe I set my expectations too high but this is far below what I was expecting. Cinematography is very average and not buying the actor playing the Pilot. The whole thing seems mediocre. Was thinking this was going to be movie theater level production in line with some of the best epic TV mini-series. It is not. :(
Just watched the second. Way better than the first. I suggest you give it a shot. It’s not game-changing cinematography and neither is law and order, but it’s fun to watch.

It’s been A LONG time since I read the book, so I can’t speak to its accuracy or what is better. I like that it’s something different. Not a lot of shows about colonialism Japan.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
For those who enjoy true crime documentaries, American Nightmare on Netflix is a must see. It's a three episode docuseries. It starts with a husband who reports his girlfriend was kidnapped in the middle of the night, but the police suspect the boyfriend of foul play. The story progresses from there and has several twists. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just watched the second. Way better than the first. I suggest you give it a shot. It’s not game-changing cinematography and neither is law and order, but it’s fun to watch.

It’s been A LONG time since I read the book, so I can’t speak to its accuracy or what is better. I like that it’s something different. Not a lot of shows about colonialism Japan.

Episode 2 was somewhat better. Think I've figured out what was bugging me on the cinematography other than the overall gloominess and cheap look. Maybe the "gloomy" was part of the pilots first impression of a "backward" country but the whole thing looked like it was filmed for viewing on an iPhone or back of seat screen on a 757. Has a very cheap look for all of the hype.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am loving Shogun, but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. I found it really great.