What's streaming that's good TV/movies

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just curious, is anyone out there actually spending $20 to rent a movie and stream it? Seems like most of the movies are priced that way for a month or two before you can get them for free at one of your prescribed streaming platforms, or they drop to $5 or $6.

Personally, if I'm going to spend $20, it's going to be at a theater.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Started Fool Me Once on Netflix last night - pretty intriguing and engaging.
We just finished that and followed it with Who is Erin Carter. Both were solid - I preferred the former and my wife the latter. Both are pretty quick watches.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Started Fool Me Once on Netflix last night - pretty intriguing and engaging.
It was a good watch.

My only issue with a lot of series like this, the producers/writers tend to default to 8 shows and seems like a few in the middle aren't needed.

Reactions: Jer

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The Outsider on HBO/Max is from 2020 and based on the Stephen King book. It's one season, 10 episodes. Directed by Jason Bateman. It is so well done. I used to like the Castle Rock series on Hulu because it was Stephen King based, but this short series was so much better!

• Agree
Reactions: ZRF and 1100011CS

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Just curious, is anyone out there actually spending $20 to rent a movie and stream it? Seems like most of the movies are priced that way for a month or two before you can get them for free at one of your prescribed streaming platforms, or they drop to $5 or $6.

I have because I live about 30 miles away from the closest theater that would run something I'd like to see, and even farther if it's a foreign or art film at the Fleur.

60 miles RT x .67 a mile = $ 40.20

Time commuting = 1 hour 20 x 7.25 / hour (my hourly rate is more, but for argument's sake) = $9.65

Ticket price (give me the geezer rate, Sonny) = $7.25

So, even without the vat-o-pop and the bushel of popcorn, the IRL experience costs me at least $57.20 and streaming costs me, let's say $20 for a brand-new film.

Hmm, hmm, what to do, what to do?

Now, I do volunteer at the local theatre where tix are $5 (because it's run by volunteers), with free popcorn (for volunteers) and I do get to watch the movie for free (with an additional free ticket to another show if I want to see one without sweeping up after) if it's something I want to see (otherwise, I bring a book) so definitely wouldn't stream any of those films, even the ones that I think I'd want to see. That said, it is true that some films are much better on the big screen (such as the LOTR trilogy).

Reactions: Cyclonepride

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

If you are just paying for yourself then yes, $20 is probably too much. But, if you have a family of 4 then $20 is a bargain over going to the theater especially when you factor in the other costs of going to the theater like pourcyne did.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If you are just paying for yourself then yes, $20 is probably too much. But, if you have a family of 4 then $20 is a bargain over going to the theater especially when you factor in the other costs of going to the theater like pourcyne did.

I paid $2.99 last weekend to watch Oppenheimer... well worth it. Great film.

I didn't care for Killers of the Flower Moon much at all. Was glad someone did a movie about this story, however, I didn't think it was done very well.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Anyone else think Reacher was a little ridiculous this season? I still think it's better than a lot of other stuff right now nd I'll still watch future seasons, but I wasn't impressed by this one.

• Agree
Reactions: PineClone and legi

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Anyone else think Reacher was a little ridiculous this season? I still think it's better than a lot of other stuff right now nd I'll still watch future seasons, but I wasn't impressed by this one.

Yeah it was kinda lame. There were parts I really enjoyed but overall doesn’t reach the quality of season 1.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Finally got around to starting Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix. Intriguing but ****** up, interesting.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

I usually don't like ridiculous but thought Ritchson really owned the character this season which more than made up for the plot. His dry one liners and general disdain for the bad guys was entertaining. What I really buy into is the ex-militarian altruism where intent and right vs wrong rises above the law itself. That along with some of the social awkwardness is very believable, especially in knowing some ex military who acted similarly.

Personally I prefer his take on the character over Cruise's.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I burned through the first season but got stuck on Season 2 (distracted by work). Restarted it yesterday and just wow. What a great show.
Just finished season 3. Love the show. Oldman deserves something for his acting in this above what he is getting paid. Happy to see season 4 is coming.
Overall both seasons are fun. The increased budget of season two is noticeable. I felt the characters were more believable this season over 1.

All in all there were a couple of ridiculous things in this season. But that’s part of it.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Binged the whole series of Idris Elba in Hijacked on Apple+ over the weekend. A couple of holes that should have been fixed, but it was really solid.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Did anyone else watch "Masters of the Air" this last weekend? Apple released the first two epidoses of the series. Very, very good so far. It definitely feels like a "Band of Brothers" type of series, which of course is only natural. I signed up for Apple specifically to watch it, and so far money well spent (helps that Apple TV is relatively cheap as well).

I also started "Monarch" on Apple as well and am really enjoying it.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Did anyone else watch "Masters of the Air" this last weekend? Apple released the first two epidoses of the series. Very, very good so far. It definitely feels like a "Band of Brothers" type of series, which of course is only natural. I signed up for Apple specifically to watch it, and so far money well spent (helps that Apple TV is relatively cheap as well).

I also started "Monarch" on Apple as well and am really enjoying it.
I watched the first episode after Brock Purdy made the SB last night. I enjoyed it an look forward to episode two at some point his week.
While you have access don't miss Slow Horses on Apple. First season takes a little bit to get into but the payoff at the end of the season and then season 2 and 3 are worth the time. Only 6 episode season as well, so it is fairly quick watch at about 40-45 minutes per episode.

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones