What's streaming that's good TV/movies

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Enjoyed "The Killer" on Netflix, study of the fallouts after a professional assassin misses his target. Have liked Fassbinder ever since "Inglorious Basterds". Also fun the aliases that his character uses, such as "Archibald Bunker" and "Felix Unger". This good watch also takes you to Paris, New York, the Dominican, and New Orleans.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Finally gotten around to Woman of the Dead on Netflix. Through 4 of 6 episodes, it’s above average for foreign shows. Interesting to see how it ends up.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Finished Woman of the Dead. While predictable, I rather enjoyed it. Some bad acting but overall good for foreign show.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Watched Equalizer 3 tonight. Denzel is so amazing in that role, very underrated actor. Movie was different enough from the others to give it new depth.

Also watched Last Voyage of the Demeter. Based on a chapter from Dracula. It was decent, interesting story and not horrible acting (for some characters).

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Just had a commercial for Rebel Moon during the Vikes game. I hope it's as good as it looks

Reactions: BoxsterCy

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I was very impressed with this series, it is a Amazon Chilean series called "Inez of My Soul" by a famous Chilean writer Isabel Allende. It is about Pedro de Valdivia trying to conquer Chile, and focuses on his lover, Ines Suarez who followed him into Chile. I lived in Chile for three years and worked with the native American group of people that Pedro tried to conquer, I saw many of the places spoken about in the series, and visited the city called Valdivia. All of these are memories that are very vivid to me. It was impossible for me to not sympathize with the Mapuche people, because I knew them so well, and had many close friends. It is probably impossible for this series to be as important to you as it was to me, but still a very important part of American history. This has outstanding acting even though it probably didn't have the largest budget.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Watched "Tracks" last night on Netflix. True story. Favorite characters: Diggity (the dog), Dookie (the camel) and Mr. Eddy (the Aborigine guide). Mia Wasikowska is good. Adam Driver plays Adam Driver (it's a type). Film is better than the trailer...

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Well... Let me assure you it's not good. It's really bad. Looks outstanding because Zach Snyder does a great job with that but man the movie is dumb.
Watched this and have to agree unfortunately. Plot is often nonsensical or silly, dialogue isn't good, and the movie crams in a bunch of characters with no backstory as to why I should care or who they are (they seem like they could be interesting too!). Which is too bad because there is certainly some potential and there could have been a good movie if done properly.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just got this email:

Dear Prime member,
We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

So, for those without the ad-free Disney, is that like traditional commercials spread throughout the broadcast or just ones you have to watch first to access the program? I am guessing Prime will be cluttered with commercials like regular broadcast networks. I don't watch much there, a few shows once in a while like the Jack Ryan thingies and the Reacher series on right now.

We've come full circle with now paying subscriptions and having to watch commercials, the worst of both the old broadcast and cable systems.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: pourcyne and GBlade

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Watched "The Blob" last night from TCM via Max.

Kind of a laugh riot, really, like the sound effects guy doing the dog barking off camera, and the blob that looks like bad cranberry sauce. Then there's the fourth guy in the gang who keeps disappearing without being eaten by the blob.

That said, I did not know that Miss Crump dated Steve McQueen before moving on to Sheriff Andy.

Reactions: Bigman38

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Was in the mood for sci-fi last night. With Rebel Moon getting panned here and there and everywhere, I opted for The Creator. It was okay.

Pretty predictable, almost like I had seen it before. There are better AI movies out there. Cinematography and some of the future scape was top notch but the story was sort of dumb and derivative. Can't really recommend unless you subscribe to "average sci-fi is better than no sci-fi".

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
For SciFi fans I'd recommend Scavenger's Reign on Max. I don't think there is anything quite like it.

I’ve heard this is awesome but I don’t get Max. Let us know what you think when you finish.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I’ve heard this is awesome but I don’t get Max. Let us know what you think when you finish.
It's great! The awe and wonder of an alien world quickly give way to body horror through the course of the series. Unlike Prometheus, the surviving crew are actually competent.

Discovery and learning of the different creatures constitutes a separate story arch, and more convincing then some of the alien life documentaries found on Netflix or Discovery.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Gonna start on the new Money Heist spinoff/character prequel, “Berlin”.