What's streaming that's good TV/movies

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm two episodes in and loving the modern take on Poe's stories. We'll see where it ranks in the Flanagan-verse when I'm finished.

Speaking of ranks, here's how I'd rank Mike Flanagan's series so far.

1. The Haunting of Hill House - a masterpiece, IMO.
2. Midnight Mass
3. The Haunting of Bly Manor
4. The Midnight Club
Midnight Club was not good. I slogged through it but it was unsatisfying. The others I’ve liked a lot.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Now I'm a few episodes into Moonlighting

Told my wife I didn't remember the show being so 80s

Kids, if you want to see what the goddam greatest decade looked like and check out a hottie then Moonlighting is for you.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Watching Lupin third season on Netflix. Omar Sy is la bombe (the bomb).

Reactions: ZRF

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just watched Slotherhouse on Hulu. Comedy/Horror. It was something.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yeah, there's 3 ad breaks and they aren't that long, but still kind of annoying. This is the only show I watch on it.

Freevee is FREE.

I have no issue watching TV shows on free platforms that have commercials. I either hit the head, grab some food or just surf the net. If I'm gone too long, just rewind.

Bosch is a great show. Got so hooked I spent the summer reading all of Connolly's Bosch novels.

• Agree
Reactions: urb1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Watching Lupin third season on Netflix. Omar Sy is la bombe (the bomb).

Thanks for the heads up. I just finished the first 2 seasons last week. A solid watch.

I struggle watching international shows dubbed in English. The male / female voices all sound the same. Very monotone, who knows maybe its computerized. So they take a little extra attention to read the subtitles.

Reactions: pourcyne

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Freevee is FREE.

I have no issue watching TV shows on free platforms that have commercials. I either hit the head, grab some food or just surf the net. If I'm gone too long, just rewind.

Bosch is a great show. Got so hooked I spent the summer reading all of Connolly's Bosch novels.
I'm only on the 9th book, The Narrows. I have up through 9 Dragons though.

Reactions: isucy86

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Second the recommendation (especially in October) for Hill House, Bly House, Midnight Club and Midnight Mass. Only on episode 3 of Midnight Mass, but it seems solid.

On recommendation from a friend, watched 2 seasons of Invasion on Apple+. I do not recommend it.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. I just finished the first 2 seasons last week. A solid watch.

I struggle watching international shows dubbed in English. The male / female voices all sound the same. Very monotone, who knows maybe its computerized. So they take a little extra attention to read the subtitles.

For a few shows, the English dubbing is better than the original. "The Incredible Attorney Woo", for example, is much better in English than in Korean. Dubbed voice is more pleasant than that of the actress.

Do listen to Omar Sy's voice. His laugh is great.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
"Kim's Convenience", Canadian comedy filmed in Toronto. Gotta love Appa!!! On Netflix.

• Winner
Reactions: bos

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It beat the hell out of Tom Cruise as Reacher. Supposed to be 6'5" 250 lbs, Yeah, right.

The Cruise movie was okay and Cruise is good in those roles. If you'd never read the book it would be fine. Bugged my BIL a lot, me, not so much. As far as being thee "Jack Reacher" the Amazon first season was pretty terrific.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I can’t do dubs. I won’t even try.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can’t do dubs. I won’t even try.

I am in general agreement with you. There are some exceptions. Was watching the Danish Netflix series The Rain for a bit before I picked up that it was Danish and dubbed English. Read that it was done with most of the actors (Euro actors all seem to also speak English) doing their own dubbing for the English. Not the norm by any means but it was exceptionally well done. Too bad the show sucked after the first season and I bailed on it. So they saved great dubbing for a 2nd rate low budget show! LOL.