What's streaming that's good TV/movies

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I'm watching Self Reliance on the Hulu right now. 35 minutes in and felt the need to plug it here. Written and directed by Jake Johnson he is the main character alongside Anna kendrick. They're probably going to fall in love, have a huge fight, and reconcile. Time will tell.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Catching up on Apple series as I wait for more episodes of Monarch. Really, all their series are pretty strong, but Slow Horses is fantastic.
I burned through the first season but got stuck on Season 2 (distracted by work). Restarted it yesterday and just wow. What a great show.

• Agree
Reactions: pulse

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I watched The Family Plan on Apple the other day. It wasn't bad, I'll watch anything with Michelle Monaghan in it. Prime just released a similar movie called Role Play, but that has had worse ratings. I might still watch it for Kaley Cuoco though.

I wish you could buy hard copies of streaming platform originals, but I guess that would go against their business model.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Just watched "Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom" (Netflix), the story of a young man from Bhutan whose only dream is to go to Australia to be a singer but who winds up finishing the last year of his government contract as a teacher in a remote village of just 56 people in the Himalayas. Breath-taking scenery, charming characters including Norbu the Yak, and a glimpse at a world that most of us can only know through the magic of cinema. Beautiful film that would be a super for upper grade school kiddos to see. Somebody's eyes might have been watering at the end...must have been the clouds in those misty mountains.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We watched Please Don't Destroy the Treasure of Foggy Mountain (I think that's the whole name lol) on Peacock last night. We thought it was pretty funny.

Definitely not deep entertainment, but despite being almost pure fluff, the three twenty something friends had great rapport to the point where it felt like they were actual friends that were cast as a set. Having a son that age, there was definitely something familiar about their mannerisms and interactions.

Anyway, if you're just looking for a fun movie without any depth at all, I'd recommend it.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I'm watching Self Reliance on the Hulu right now. 35 minutes in and felt the need to plug it here. Written and directed by Jake Johnson he is the main character alongside Anna kendrick. They're probably going to fall in love, have a huge fight, and reconcile. Time will tell.

Don't care for Anna Kendrick, but she's not in it too much. Plot is sort of a Squid Game Light.

I have to say, streaming spoils a person for the banal. On the other hand, makes it easier to watch a 90-minute piece of fluff now and then without too much regret.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We watched Please Don't Destroy the Treasure of Foggy Mountain (I think that's the whole name lol) on Peacock last night. We thought it was pretty funny.

Definitely not deep entertainment, but despite being almost pure fluff, the three twenty something friends had great rapport to the point where it felt like they were actual friends that were cast as a set. Having a son that age, there was definitely something familiar about their mannerisms and interactions.

Anyway, if you're just looking for a fun movie without any depth at all, I'd recommend it.

Please don’t destroy is like a comedy group and have been friends for a while. They do shorts for SNL frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I'm finding LouderMilk (Netflix) hilarious.

We just finished Loudermilk. If you like/liked OfficeSpace then this is basically that movie set in Seattle amid recovering alcoholics. It started off strong and funny, but by the end of the third season (end of series) it was wrapped up terribly.

We watched the first season of Slow Horses, which was pretty good. And we watched a few episodes of The Boys: GenV last night, which I thought was pretty solid.

Last edited:

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I started "Bass Reeves" on Paramount + recently, another one of Tye Sheridan's productions. Pretty good so far (3 episodes in). Good cast as well. You can never go wrong with Dennis Quaid and Donald Sutherland.

I thought it was pretty good. I think most of Taylor Sheridan's stuff is worth a watch.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I started "Bass Reeves" on Paramount + recently, another one of Tye Sheridan's productions. Pretty good so far (3 episodes in). Good cast as well. You can never go wrong with Dennis Quaid and Donald Sutherland.
That's on my list. Just waiting for the wife to signal interest. Maybe now that Fargo is done, since the only series we're watching now is True Detective, and that's once a week.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron