Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Old George's

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
A little OT, but a long time ago there was a Minsky's in Ames, grease just oozed off of it!
Why there still isn't a Minsky's I will never understand. Best I ever had. (Other than Rocky's in Iowa Falls.)

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Is Great Plains a local resaurant or a chain?
It is a locally-owned restaurant.

Also, whoever said back on page 2 that Lucky's is "the best pizza after 10pm" is smoking something powerful. Lucky's is awful. Just absolutely gag-inducing terrible. I couldn't tell the crust from the box it came in, the cheese was like chewing an inner tube, and I'm pretty sure the toppings had been sitting out on a countertop for a few days. The "Lucky Stixx" were even worse. I don't understand why anyone pays money for that garbage when there's a perfectly delicious and equally cheap Domino's right next door.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Great Plains

I'm embarrassed for those of you who rate Pizza Pit higher.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Someone needs to start a poll.

Poll added. I included the big three that have been mentioned that are currently open, but let us know if you'd like more added.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
Are you going to be drunk when you eat it? If so, call Pizza Pit. If you want good pizza call great plains and get the Denver

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
NO KETCHUP!?

Jesus, how do you eat french fries? Unless you're Canadian I don't believe it.

I know! is that F'd up or what? I really dislike ketchup, and before you ask I DO like: Salsa, tomatoes, tomato soup, barbaque sauce, and even the topping on meatloaf (baked ketchup?).

I use musturd or bbq sauce with my fries.

I realize its messed up, so I try it about once a year just to see if I've grown out of it. So far 29 tries and it still is gag-worthy.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Well, time for me to weigh in...all of this food talk is making me really crave some food from Ames...

Great Plains is an institution. Not only a delicious pizza, but very unique too. Been all over and never had any other pizza like it. In my pre-ISU days, I remember going there at least a couple times a week for lunch in high school, at least 2 slices every time...

Just hearing Happy Joe's mention makes me cringe, when i think of that sauerkraut pizza. It was so wrong, but I remember some people just loved it...

I also remember Dugan's Deli, does that still even exist? They had some tasty sandwiches.

Also recall too many trip to Little Taipei (aka Little Tapeworm), for crab rangoons and hot braised chicken...

I can feel the heart burn coming on...pass the Tums...

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Oh, and late night trips to Panchero's for 2lb burritos, after a hard night of drinking....

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Oh man, three days until I get to eat Little Taipei again! I can't wait- I'm in serious withdrawal, since I've eaten it every Sunday night for the last two and a half years...

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Oh, and late night trips to Panchero's for 2lb burritos, after a hard night of drinking....

I was at Mickeys before the Upstate game ... everytime I'm in there I'm a little sad its not Pancheros.

My brother once ate 1 & 3/4 El Gordos in one sitting. The staff claimed the record was 2 & 1/4. That's 4.5 lbs of burrito!

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
If we're getting into the "non-pizza" stuff that West Cyde Wings place is pretty good. The one time I was there anyway.

Reminded me a little of my first love: BWW.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
My brother once ate 1 & 3/4 El Gordos in one sitting. The staff claimed the record was 2 & 1/4. That's 4.5 lbs of burrito!

Oh, to be young again, I never thought of trying that...probably could have pulled that off, back in the day

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Why there still isn't a Minsky's I will never understand. Best I ever had. (Other than Rocky's in Iowa Falls.)

I bartended there when it was open....basically the owner kept it open during the day with a crew of 5 even though there was 3 custy a during the day. Overhead killed him, didnt take custy's or employee's suggestions and NOBODY knew there was a bar in the back....basically ran it into the ground.

Oh yeah he was an EIU fan who refused to put any ISU gear up...ever! Karma.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I bartended there when it was open....basically the owner kept it open during the day with a crew of 5 even though there was 3 custy a during the day. Overhead killed him, didnt take custy's or employee's suggestions and NOBODY knew there was a bar in the back....basically ran it into the ground.

Oh yeah he was an EIU fan who refused to put any ISU gear up...ever! Karma.

That's too bad, that lounge in the back was sweet. We'd go there all the time.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I was at Mickeys before the Upstate game ... everytime I'm in there I'm a little sad its not Pancheros.

Panchero's has returned to Ames. It's down by Best Buy on South Duff, but it's a had a considerable makeover from what we remember in college. It's "gourmet" burritos now with black beans and rice. No 2-pounder, and no chorizo.

Help Support Us

Become a patron