When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Have a Highlander hybrid now, when we need to replace my wife’s car it’ll hopefully be a plug in hybrid. I’m not sure when we’d get an all electric. They need to solve how fast the battery drains in the cold first for me

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I put 6-10, but it could end up as 1-5. I won't be buying another vehicle for 2-3 years anyway. I am waffling between an EV and a hybrid when the time comes. It will be a winter vehicle mostly, as the bike and the convertible get the mileage when its nice. And winter makes the EV's biggest problem (range) worse. But I put in solar last year, so it that would make sense to pair (although would have to add panels). So idk.

GF has a 4Runner and we take that on the long trips, despite it's horrific gas mileage.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I'm shocked to see 10+. I said 1-5 because there needs to be a bit of infrastructure improvement, but if I can charge 300 miles in 45 minutes, that's good enough for most road trips.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've seriously consider it in the past and with Tesla lowering prices, it's becoming harder not to pull the trigger. Some of things I'm thinking about

$7,500 tax credit on the Model Y
Tesla cutting prices
Tesla's superior charging network even though 99% of the time would charge at home
Acceleration/performance
Wife wants a new car
We have an ICE SUV that is great for long trips
Tesla inferior quality control
Tesla's 25k level of interior in a 50k car
Phantom breaking issues
Cost to put charger in the garage
A LOT of new EV's coming to the market in the next few years.
Cold weather impact on range
No service centers in Iowa for Tesla

May have to try a turo out. I'm kicking myself that I didn't try one from Hertz the last time I went on vacation.

Reactions: isutrevman

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd buy one now if I was in the market for a daily commute vehicle. But the family van is the next to be replaced and we're not ready for that while driving out of town. We'll probably end up with a PHEV for that.

My daily commute car never really leaves town ever. Right now, that seems to be the ideal situation for an EV. While charging stations are more common, it's still a bit of a risk whether they'll be available at your destination if your round trip exceeds your range when travelling out of town.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm shocked to see 10+. I said 1-5 because there needs to be a bit of infrastructure improvement, but if I can charge 300 miles in 45 minutes, that's good enough for most road trips.

My concern is always whether you can find a charger near your destination to charge. Travelling to Ames for football for example. Will there be an EV parking pass that you can charge while at the game, or will you need to stop by the HyVee for 45 minutes before or after the game?

This will obviously get better in the future, but just how long will that take?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'm going to buy a new truck this fall but it's going to be a hybrid, that technology is pretty mature at this point and I'm not much of an early adopter. That being said I expect this next truck will be the last vehicle I buy with a gas engine so that would put me in the 6-10 year range for getting a BEV. I would be interested in a Lightning but I just can't bring myself to spend $90k on a vehicle. Talking with the guys on the battery team at work they expect the cost of the batteries to be cut in half by 2030 so when that happens I'll be a lot more interested.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Never.
Infrastructure sucks for charging.
Crap for range.
Materials for batteries are not sourced in a good way or something that can be maintained.
Cost to replace a battery when it reaches its lifespan (cell phones anyone?)
Higher cost for a vehicle without that level of quality. Why pay BMW price and get a Chevy???

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Those Ford Lightening's are having a bumpy start. I would give them a couple years to work out some of the issues.
Yah that's why I said 5 years, but I'll just be watching and keeping up with the next few models.
If it ends up being closer to 10 years, I'd be ok with that. My current vehicle is getting up there on age but I should be able to make it work until I'm ready to trade.

Reactions: 2forISU

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Have a Highlander hybrid now, when we need to replace my wife’s car it’ll hopefully be a plug in hybrid. I’m not sure when we’d get an all electric. They need to solve how fast the battery drains in the cold first for me
I looked at plug in hybrids and was shocked at what they are. Batteries plus ICE make it heavy as sin, so they don't put many batteries in it and the electric-only range is measured in furlongs.

I guess if you mostly commute <10 miles to work, then that would part would be electric-only-able. And then the hybrid part would take you on longer journeys when you need to, but still limited because the gas tanks are also small.

For some people I am sure it is a great choice, but I was really disappointed in the compromises inherent in the design. But we have multiple vehicles so for us that is the more optimal route. For others that probably isn't an option.

It reminds me of some of the bad aircraft designs that try to do multiple missions. Be a fighter, or be a bomber - when you try to do both missions with one aircraft, it usually ends up being disappointing at both missions.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
When you don't have to drive one for ten years before breaking even on emissions. They are a sham.

The Contradictions of Battery Operated Vehicles
Well good news for you then, they break even on emissions between 40k-60k miles depending on the BEV and the one you're comparing them to and where your electricity comes from. In Iowa where we have a large part of our power generated by wind it's closer to that 40k miles where you get over that hump.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Never.
Infrastructure sucks for charging.
Crap for range.
Materials for batteries are not sourced in a good way or something that can be maintained.
Cost to replace a battery when it reaches its lifespan (cell phones anyone?)
Higher cost for a vehicle without that level of quality. Why pay BMW price and get a Chevy???
You think none of those issues will be resolved? All of those are probably top priority in this space currently.

Also, unless you're old, everyone is going to eventually have to transition over because there will be no other options at some point in the not so distant future.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and cycloneG

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
We have a Ford Mach-E and an older Lexus ES. The combination works well for us. We’ve taken both vehicles on trips to Omaha, Minneapolis, Kansas City from the Des Moines metro. There has been very little difference in convenience, the EV takes a small amount of planning beforehand. Driving around Des Moines I much prefer taking the EV. The Lexus is a ‘10 with 75,000 miles and I plan to replace it with an EV in about 5 to 10 years when I can get something I like in the 30s (new or used) versus the around 50 it took last year after tax credit (I wanted 300 mile range and AWD).

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and dmclone