When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 132 17.9%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 178 24.2%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.3%

• Total voters

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My biggest concern is depreciation with EV's. If car batteries are anything like phone batteries, models will get outdated quickly in favor of newer models with smaller batteries, batteries with longer lives, longer range, lighter...
It doesn't sound like this a big concern. The people that have went over 100k miles in Tesla's have reported losing between 5-10%. So if they were at 300 miles, they are now at 270-285 miles. And similar or less for the next 100k miles.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My next vehicle (2-3 years) will likely be e. My son owns a 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5. Wow. That is the future... He is installing solar panels too. In a power outage, the battery in that thing will be able to connect to his house and last three days to supply necessary services.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My next vehicle (2-3 years) will likely be e. My son owns a 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5. Wow. That is the future... He is installing solar panels too. In a power outage, the battery in that thing will be able to connect to his house and last three days to supply necessary services.

I wish I had known using an EV for a battery source was an option before I paid for batteries with my setup... I should go update the solar power thread.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I'm expecting it to be in the next 5-8 years, but it's really whenever we need to get our next vehicle. We have 1 now (6 years old, 60k miles), but we're both primarily wfh and no kids, so we've only been averaging around 5k miles per year the last ~3 years. When we bought this one, I remember thinking it was quite likely the last ICE car I'd buy.

I confident we'll see things improve pretty rapidly over the next 5-10 years for quality, range, and infrastructure. Here in CA, 68% of new car models for sale will have to be electric by 2030 and 100% by 2035. I've casually noticed a lot of infrastructure already in place and more appearing all the time - apt buildings with chargers in (at least some) parking spots, chargers in many store parking lots and parking garages, and even street parking spots with chargers.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I am a big fan of EV, but there will always be a role/market for ICE. Whether that's for heavy towing, sports cars, whatever. Right now EV has what, 7%? That will grow, but I could see ICE having 10-20%, even in 50 years.
I do agree with that. There will be some ICE vehicles but for the general consumer it will be EV. Manufacturers are already transitioning to almost all EV

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
I'm not a big fan of electric, and will probably avoid it as long as I can. My trip to visit family is just over 300 miles and the most frequent trip I make. The range doesn't work great for me there. I also don't trust the battery life or how they will hold their value. With all of the mining involved, it seems like a sham to me from an environmental standpoint.

Hydrogen fuel cells have always seemed like a better option to me. That could actually replace ICE vehicles, including for heavy industry/shipping needs. Is there something I'm missing here? I know that infrastructure isn't available either, but why waste time on electric when we could build up hydrogen?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The supplying power for necessary is always something I think needs to be studied better than taking their word. 1) I’m guessing they are looking at you having a fully charged vehicle right away. 2) what do they consider necessary? 3) Are we talking sitting in the cold or 70 degree temps for that? 4) how big of a house is that based on? And so on.

Has anyone dig into the specifics of that claim?

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I do agree with that. There will be some ICE vehicles but for the general consumer it will be EV. Manufacturers are already transitioning to almost all EV
Honest question, but outside of EV focused manufacturers which ones are already almost all EV? Hell, Honda stopped producing their hybrid Civic. Which bothered me since I loved my '15 Civic hybrid and wanted to replace it with a newer model after it was totaled.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I put 1-5 yrs, but the more that I think about it, I probably should have been 6-10 yrs

Main reasons

1) I'm just not in the market for a new vehicle. My wrangler is 10 yrs old, but it's just a weekend toy at this point. I've got a company truck and I forsee that staying as a gas powered vehicle for quite a while.

2) Given that I move every couple of years, I'd be hesitant to by a full electric vehicle as there is a very good chance that I'll end up back in an apartment at some point and not having the ability charge at home/night really puts a damper on the practicality of a true EV.

3) The infrastructure isn't quite there yet. It's getting close, and in some areas it's far more practical than others (ie SoCal vs South Central IA)

4) That said, when I was living in LA for 6 months and truly commuting, I could see the advantages or benefit at least of a PHEV. That seems like the better transition for a lot of people.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Would have liked to have gone hybrid with the last vehicle but minivan market is tiiiiiiiiiight and Honda didn't yet have an option. We don't go through cars quickly so I imagine when our older vehicle (~7ish) yrs needs to be replaced, we will go that route.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
The only reason I haven't gone EV yet is that my current car is paid off and still running well.

Though, I do plan to buy a E-Bike in the next month or so as a daily commuter for the warm months.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Driven a couple Tesla’s and I love the Model Y. I’m waiting for a better supercharger situation (see MORE OF THEM) in my area.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I put 1-5 yrs, but the more that I think about it, I probably should have been 6-10 yrs

Main reasons

1) I'm just not in the market for a new vehicle. My wrangler is 10 yrs old, but it's just a weekend toy at this point. I've got a company truck and I forsee that staying as a gas powered vehicle for quite a while.

2) Given that I move every couple of years, I'd be hesitant to by a full electric vehicle as there is a very good chance that I'll end up back in an apartment at some point and not having the ability charge at home/night really puts a damper on the practicality of a true EV.

3) The infrastructure isn't quite there yet. It's getting close, and in some areas it's far more practical than others (ie SoCal vs South Central IA)

4) That said, when I was living in LA for 6 months and truly commuting, I could see the advantages or benefit at least of a PHEV. That seems like the better transition for a lot of people.
The PHEV is the perfect transition solution for a huge percentage of the general market... but they're rare to find unfortunately.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
just me but i would never buy a truck that isn't 4x4.

but at least its FWD and not RWD.
For a city boy like me who doesn't want to spend $70,000 on a full size 4x4 truck that gets 20 mpg (if lucky) and doesn't even fit in my garage, I'd much rather spend $28,000 on a new Maverick hybrid that gets 50 mpg. It's awesome for commuting AND for trips to Home Depot.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
For a city boy like me who doesn't want to spend $70,000 on a full size 4x4 truck that gets 20 mpg (if lucky) and doesn't even fit in my garage, I'd much rather spend $28,000 on a new Maverick hybrid that gets 50 mpg. It's awesome for commuting AND for trips to Home Depot.
It is absolutely mind-boggling the number of people here in Waukee that have massive trucks to run and get groceries with.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
It doesn't have to get that efficient for me, personally. But it needs to get down to the 5-10 minute range for a full charge OR the range on a single charge needs to be in excess of 1000 miles.
From personal experience, it does depend a lot on your living situation. We have a garage we can plug in (we also have access to a charger at work but that wouldn't really be necessary). For our day to day needs we now save time because we never need to go to a gas station or seperate charger with that vehicle. If we didn't have access to a charger either at home or work I'd probably want to be able to put a gas tanks worth of range (300 to 400 miles) in about 10 minutes at a dedicated charger (which is at least a few years into the future).

Reactions: CyclonePigskin