When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 132 18.1%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 173 23.7%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 375 51.4%

• Total voters

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just used FSD from Johnston to Minnesota border without one intervention, worked nearly perfect. It only switches out of the passing lane when it sees someone behind you, which I don't love.

Reactions: WhoISthis

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just used FSD from Johnston to Minnesota border without one intervention, worked nearly perfect. It only switches out of the passing lane when it sees someone behind you, which I don't love.

So it left lane loafs? Grrr. Did you just manually move it over?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’ll be Interested to see what Jeep puts out for an electric Wrangler. From what I’ve seen on attempts to lift and put aggressive tires on a tesla, battery range is going to be a problem.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I hate to admit this because people will be " this is why I won't buy an EV". I left my mother's house in northern Iowa and it said that I could drive to Albert Lee to be safe and charge, which was 20 miles out of our way. Instead, I took the risk and drove to Dows, which said we'd arrive with 8% and that's the route we took and we arrived with 7%, after driving 79mph. I'm not a risk taker, so I was sweating this for a few minutes. The lovely thing is that when the battery is that low, the charge is lightning fast.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I hate to admit this because people will be " this is why I won't buy an EV". I left my mother's house in northern Iowa and it said that I could drive to Albert Lee to be safe and charge, which was 20 miles of our way. Instead, I took the risk and drove to Dows, which said we'd arrive with 8% and that's the route we took and we arrived with 7%, after driving 79mph. I'm not a risk taker, so I was sweating this for a few minutes
At least the estimate was pretty accurate

Reactions: wxman1

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I hate to admit this because people will be " this is why I won't buy an EV". I left my mother's house in northern Iowa and it said that I could drive to Albert Lee to be safe and charge, which was 20 miles of our way. Instead, I took the risk and drove to Dows, which said we'd arrive with 8% and that's the route we took and we arrived with 7%, after driving 79mph. I'm not a risk taker, so I was sweating this for a few minutes
I’ve already thought through that problem. I have a flashlight with a crank on it to charge electronics in an emergency. I’m just going to put that in the car. I figure if I run out of juice, I’ll just crank for a bit until I can get to a charging station.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I’ve already thought through that problem. I have a flashlight with a crank on it to charge electronics in an emergency. I’m just going to put that in the car. I figure if I run out of juice, I’ll just crank for a bit until I can get to a charging station.
Oh, I never thought of that one. I was thinking about adding a solar panel that charges by phone to see how that would work./

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Sadly no. But I do have four kids and the thought of them cranking away to charge our car is oddly satisfying.
You could have a crank like the old cars had to start the engine. For every 1000 cranks you could get about 50 feet so you act like a drill sergeant for the kids to just keep cranking.

Reactions: CyCoug

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I hate to admit this because people will be " this is why I won't buy an EV". I left my mother's house in northern Iowa and it said that I could drive to Albert Lee to be safe and charge, which was 20 miles out of our way. Instead, I took the risk and drove to Dows, which said we'd arrive with 8% and that's the route we took and we arrived with 7%, after driving 79mph. I'm not a risk taker, so I was sweating this for a few minutes. The lovely thing is that when the battery is that low, the charge is lightning fast.
So if you are in FSD does it pull right up to the charger for you? How about in a parking lot?

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
You could have a crank like the old cars had to start the engine. For every 1000 cranks you could get about 50 feet so you act like a drill sergeant for the kids to just keep cranking.
With the amount of time and money I spend taking them places, it actually kind of seems like a fair trade.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
So if you are in FSD does it pull right up to the charger for you? How about in a parking lot?
I’ve not tried it with a super charger but it will self park. You can select a spot in a parking lot or have it parallel. I also think you can have it leave the parking spot and come pick you up (like valet).

• Informative
Reactions: do4CY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's a two step process at this point. It turned off FSD about 100 feet from the entrance, then as you're driving by the chargers you can pick a spot and it will back you right to the charger. It probably takes it 10 seconds and me 5 seconds, so I just do it myself.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I think people often do similar with gas and think nothing of it. Lots of rural areas where you have 30-50 miles between gas stations or need slight detour to reduce that.

• Agree
Reactions: simply1

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
EVs are a lot better fit for some than for others. If I did a lot of highway driving and weekend road trips we would not have gotten one. When we drive up to the lake or down to Ames we’ll take our gas SUV. But the Tesla is a perfect day to day car in the city.

People get bent out of shape about this which I don’t understand. It’s no different than me telling someone that benefits from a pick up truck that I would never buy one. I just have no use for it. Or a similarly a minivan. Great if you have 3 kids but pointless if you have none/one.

No one should feel like they’re offending an EV driver for saying “it wouldn’t work for me because of my driving habits and the availability of charging stations”. Similarly, no EV driver should be defensive if they hear someone say that.