Where did you live while at Iowa State?

CRLCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Most everyplace I lived in @ ISU is no longer there.
I'll just list the most memerable (~ 3 years)

Knapp Hall, Towers, 5th Floor : Manny House (Best on campus)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4C9SHNzysw]YouTube - Iowa State: Knapp & Storms Hall Implosion[/ame]

Tons of Drinking
Watching Hockey
Floor Parties
Women
Fire alarms that meant nothing, etc.

1985 - 1989, very, very nice memories

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Are you sure you weren't there in the mid-90's? :smile:

Sounds like not a lot changed.

Positive! :wink: Had I known this coming in I might have just stayed out in Towers or transferred to a different floor than I did. I always like Linden and the Hall Director was great to work for but I almost regretted it in the end because it didn't pan out the way I had hoped. I had a pretty good floor out in Towers which I couldn't say the same about all the other floors out there. I was difinitely burnt out with the RA job after the Merrill job and looking back I should have quit mid-year because the 2nd semester there was almost worse and I just didn't really care much to putting 100% into my job anymore because the guys on the floor just didn't care about anything.

My motto that I made a point to say at the beginning of every semester at the 1st floor meeting was "don't do stupid things and we'll get along just fine." Then I went to point out that stupid things included parties with the door wide open, open containers in the hallways, being extremely loud after quiet hours, etc. I was pretty cool about just giving a "hey can you keep it down" warning when someone was a little loud vs writing them up like other RAs would and the only quiet hours I think I ever actually wrote up on my own floor was 2 drunks that were running up and down the hall at 3am which woke me up. I wasn't looking to write people up, just more paper work I had to do if I did but I wasn't going to turn the blind eye to obvious violations when someone was doing something really stupid either. Got me a lot of respect with the guys on the floor for the most part, never had an "enemy" on a floor after a write up, in fact I even had a few guys come down to my room the next day and apologize and tell me they would have wrote themselves up for being that "stupid" too.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Want to hear a bizzare thing? I dated a girl that lived in a Hyland apartment, eventually broke up with her and she moved away that summer. The next school year I start seeing another girl with the same name as her and first time I go over to her apartment I'll be damned if it wasn't the EXACT SAME apartment number! That was really creepy at first being in the same place that you had previously spent time with another girlfriend.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Larch Emerson (8th floor) - Freshman year
Freddy Court - Soph
150 Campus Ave - Junior year
House at 209 Campus Ave currently.

Now that I have my job lined up after graduation looking forward to my lame duck semester full of fuzzy memories

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Larch Emerson (8th floor) - Freshman year
Freddy Court - Soph
150 Campus Ave - Junior year
House at 209 Campus Ave currently.

Now that I have my job lined up after graduation looking forward to my lame duck semester full of fuzzy memories

make it last...make it last.

I love my life/wife and kids now.

but there are some days I wish I could have some of those ISU days back.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Fall03\spring 04 Helser Mortensen (what a dump)
Fall 04-Spring 05 Sterling University Getting better, but man those buildings are just gonna fall down one day
Fall 05-Spring 07 Fieldstone Grand - Very nice, ours was brand new when we walked in.
Fall 07-Spring 08 3406 Emerald Dr- way out in SE ames south of Hwy 30, but great for having a lot of people over for, and cant beat the price for the space... that place was huge, and not too old and run down.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
Fall 01 - Spring 03: Helser Hall, Haber House
Fall 03 - Spring 06: Apartment in West Ames, used to be Sterling University - you could tell those buildings were cheaply built

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
03-04 Welch Bergman, BWR was by far the worst, oldest seeming dorms on campus. The first two or three weeks were unseasonably warm and of course we didn't have AC. I think to fall asleep I would usually wrap a wet towel around my head and that would cool me off enough. I also remember the power outlets being extremely old and having to duct tape my plugins to the outlet to get it to stay in. I hated that dorm with a passion but it was fairly roomy and when my roomate moved out I had a full semester to myself in that piece of crap.

04-05 Fredrickson Ct, 4221 I think. Great place to live with good friends. People upstairs partied too damn loud but other than that it was all good.

05-06 219 S Sherman Ave Apt near Panera. Nice starter apt but terrible management.
06-07 116 McDonald. Good older aparment behind old Litzel Lumber right across from Hy-Vee. Great management and tons of space.

After that I moved to the Greater Chicago area and got a greater appreciation for the prices and ammenities offered in Ames.

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
Freshman Year- Willow Arnquist (represent)
Sophomore Year- Buchanan
Junior Year- Frederiksen Court
Senior Year- Frederiksen Court

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Freshman: Wilson Lamson (5th floor) Coed
Soph: Hyland Apt
Junior: Cyclone Plaza
Senior: 431 Welch

Similar path here, though I'm certain mine was much earlier (early '80's).
Towers - Wilson Hall - Lamson House (not "formally" co-ed);
218 N. Hyland - 2 sto "garden-style" apartment building;
House on Hunt St. west of Welch - since demo'd by the Randall bros for parking lot.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Storms hall, stanton ave, ash ave. Lived with my brother-in-law and two of his buddies on stanton, one of them was mike tomczack's cousin, and the semester I lived with him, mike was the qb of the packers. I never gave someone so much **** in my life, they went 4-12 that year.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Freshman 05-06: 4th floor Freeman
Sophomore 06-07: Second Floor Roberts (the same room my dad lived in)
Junior 07-08: Apartments on 4th Street
Senior 08-09: 442 Welch Ave (pretty much spent my entire college career drunk at this house)

It amazingly similar to MaxPower's list.:wink:

A staple of the decor at 442.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4429 mcc

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Freshman 05-06: 4th floor Freeman
Sophomore 06-07: Second Floor Roberts (the same room my dad lived in)
Junior 07-08: Apartments on 4th Street
Senior 08-09: 442 Welch Ave (pretty much spent my entire college career drunk at this house)

It amazingly similar to MaxPower's list.:wink:

A staple of the decor at 442.

I like that place...(cracks open beer)

Reactions: CyForPresident