"Where is your speed? Got any black players?"

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
So if you say the word Black now when refering to a person you are racist. That is kind of how this thread has gone.

I remember one time I was listening to Jim Rome and they kept refering to this Olympic athlete from Australia who lit the Olympic torch. They were talking about how good looking she was. They were also refering to her as an African American. I thought it was funny nobody else noticed.

Reactions: drmwevr08

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I certainly didn't see it as a compliment to anyone - especially taking into account how he said it.
I guess we can't speak as to the tone of how he said it, but based on words alone it seems relatively harmless.

As a side note, is it still racism if you're saying they're better at something? Like "Black people suck at math" would be racist. But is "Asian People are great at math" racist as well? I'd tend to say no, but I suppose context would be the deciding factor.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I don't get how someone can look at every single major football program in the country..see that nearly all, or a vast majority, of all skill/speed positions are held by black players and when someone actually notices it in coversation..they're racist.

Face it, for whatever reason black players have more speed. Its a fact and its not racist to say so. People who don't acknowledge it live in a fairy tale world and frankly don't do anything to help further race relations in this country. You want better race relations? Let's all start by being honest with ourselves..

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
What I always gathered about stereotypes and racism...

It is racist to inflict a stereotype on an individual, whether good or bad.

It is not racist to infer a stereotype based on race whether it is positive or negative if it is backed by statistics.

I am sorry, but there are statistics that show black people have better skills at football than white people. Look at population statistics and compare them to the NFL.

I really see nothing wrong with the guy asking, unless perhaps you would prefer him to say African American instead of black.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
It seems to have been blown a little bit out of proportion, JMO.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I understand... You don't think more should/could be done?

There are hundreds of kids in the league. If they give out one scholarship for every 20 kids, I'd say that's pretty good. But I have no idea of the numbers, nor do I know if more than just one of my guys is getting a scholarship. I just know of the one because his mother told me about it and how amazed she was the league offered such a thing.

Yes, Ames kids play in the league ISUFan is talking about, Ames Bears I believe.

Correct. WDSM, Waukee, Ames, Atlantic, ADM, Boone, Norwalk, Gilbert, DCG, Carroll, Harlan, etc. are all part of the league - just split up into different conferences.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
There are hundreds of kids in the league. If they give out one scholarship for every 20 kids, I'd say that's pretty good. But I have no idea of the numbers, nor do I know if more than just one of my guys is getting a scholarship. I just know of the one because his mother told me about it and how amazed she was the league offered such a thing.

By no means am I criticizing you or the league, just a little shocked since the leagues I played in growing up had about half of the players receive assistance with fees and transportation.

baylrballa

Feb 3, 2007
League City
apparently compliments are now racist. so weird. society these days is so hyper-sensitive. Unbelievable.

I could not agree more.

on a whole black people can run faster, jump higher, etc. how that is in any way racist, I do not know.

now, certainly the same thing can be said with different intents, some of which may be racist, that's another conversation. But the simple fact of the matter is just that.

it's no coincidence something like 70% of NFL players are black when ~10% of the general population is.

Why is it not racist that caucasians players are discriminated against by NFL teams?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Bit of a tangent here, but my friend and I were trying to think of the last white cornerback that played in the NFL. Jason Sehorn was a corner for a bit right? We really couldn't think of one other than him and he switched to safety.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I love it when a guy you just met tells an 'N' word joke and thinks you'll find it funny. When I say "love" I mean "hate".

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Bit of a tangent here, but my friend and I were trying to think of the last white cornerback that played in the NFL. Jason Sehorn was a corner for a bit right? We really couldn't think of one other than him and he switched to safety.
I believe he was CB mostly with the Giants and then safety for the Rams.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Correct. WDSM, Waukee, Ames, Atlantic, ADM, Boone, Norwalk, Gilbert, DCG, Carroll, Harlan, etc. are all part of the league - just split up into different conferences.

Great Norwalk has a league...... Just another thing I will be looking forward to paying for in the future. By that time prices will be probably twice that.

Sure hope I'll be making 2 or 3 times more by then..... Sure its good for the kids to probably play but come on.... Growing up in rural Iowa you never saw leagues like this or the price to go with it. Kids would play pick up games in a neighbors yard instead and some of them turned out being great football players. You don't see that in Norwalk or other towns listed. Instead you have to pay top dollars for you kid something organized that really doesn't need to be until jr high or so...

Only reason I'm going off on it is because of the cost...

To me thats more glaring then the "alleged" racial comment.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Great Norwalk has a league...... Just another thing I will be looking forward to paying for in the future. By that time prices will be probably twice that.

Sure hope I'll be making 2 or 3 times more by then..... Sure its good for the kids to probably play but come on.... Growing up in rural Iowa you never saw leagues like this or the price to go with it. Kids would play pick up games in a neighbors yard instead and some of them turned out being great football players. You don't see that in Norwalk or other towns listed. Instead you have to pay top dollars for you kid something organized that really doesn't need to be until jr high or so...

Only reason I'm going off on it is because of the cost...

To me thats more glaring then the "alleged" racial comment.

IMO the lack of youth football is one reason that Iowa only produces a few high major football recruits a year. If you don't like the cost don't put your kid in it.