where to get a suit

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Depending on your major and the position for which you're being hired, a shirt and tie may suffice. That's all I've ever worn for interviews, but I'm a lab rat that doesn't need to look professional on a daily basis. A business type position would probably be different.

Edit: When I hire people to work with/for me, it's based on their past work experience, potential, attitude/people skills, and what their references have to say...not the clothes that they wear.

Last edited:

purify

Apr 1, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
Thanks for the input guys, it helps a lot.

I'm not broke, but probably don't have enough to get a tailored suit as I have to buy shirt, shoes, & tie with it.

I'm majoring in EE, so I doubt very highly that I'll have to wear a suit to work, but still think it's probably a good idea to get one to interview.

isu_oak, are you saying that attire is of no importance? I would think at the very least it shows a candidate that is interested as presenting their best. What I'm thinking is that no candidate gets hired because of their attire, but I'm sure several have been denied because of it. Is my thought process incorrect?

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
ISUENGR said:
Suit up! Couldn't resist... from one of my favorite tv shows.

purify said:
legen...wait for it......dary. legendary!

Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green, I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm you bro—I'm Broda!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Wherever you buy your suit, get it tailored, avoid cuffed slacks (unless you're pretty tall), and avoid pleats.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Wherever you buy your suit, get it tailored, avoid cuffed slacks (unless you're pretty tall), and avoid pleats.

Pleats are old school. If you're going to an interview, likely to impress someone fairly older than you, pleats aren't a bad idea at all.

They're on their way out, but there are still members of the "pleats generation" so to speak in the workforce, and they might be hiring you.

Tailoring is a 100% absolute MUST. No questions asked. Figure it in with the cost of the suit to see if you can afford it. A cheap suit that's well-tailored beats an expensive off-the-rack suit 10 times out of 10.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
get one at sears, kohl's or goodwill.

MARKETING is why college seniors spend hundreds of bones on "interview clothes". It's so easy to prey on the insecurities of the almost grown-up.

do you really think a change of clothes is going to get you a job?

So I'm going to be graduating ISU in the spring, and I plan to start looking for employment in the fall, so I'll need a suit. I know of the tuxedo place at the mall, but are there any other places in town? I've never bought a suit before so I don't know my size or anything. So I think I need a place that can walk me through the process a bit. Any places you recommend, or places to avoid?

Also, how much do you guys suggest I spend on a suit that I expect to use for several interviews. I'm a broke college student, but feel it is important to look good for an interview.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Second the Mr. B. recommendation. Told them the guys on CF sent me today, and they hooked me up right. Probably a little more expensive that Jos A Bank, but I got a tailored suit, tailored shirt, tie, and new shoes. Nice thing about Mr B is they do the tailoring there, so it will be ready on friday. Thanks for the heads up Chris.

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs

Pleats are perfectly acceptable for suits and other dress pants. Pleated khaki pants are another story, although some top designers are sneaking them back in.

TallKidIsTall

Mar 4, 2012
Fairfield
jos a bank's suits are bad quality from everyone i know who has bought one there

basically you get what you pay for if you go buy their suits during a buy one get 4 free offer

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
So I'm going to be graduating ISU in the spring, and I plan to start looking for employment in the fall, so I'll need a suit. I know of the tuxedo place at the mall, but are there any other places in town? I've never bought a suit before so I don't know my size or anything. So I think I need a place that can walk me through the process a bit. Any places you recommend, or places to avoid?

Also, how much do you guys suggest I spend on a suit that I expect to use for several interviews. I'm a broke college student, but feel it is important to look good for an interview.

Dark suit, straight collared 100% cotton white shirt that has been laundered with light starch, nice tie. Black laced shoes. No loafers. Simple black belt. A simple wrist watch is good too but not a cheap plastic model. No need to spend a lot with this simple approach. All business, no non-sense.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
10% off for being a member of Sex Addicts Anonymous, huh?
Maybe I will have to give them another chance. I'll have to remember to wear my membership thong.

They'll "take in" your thong pouch for you too while you're there.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Men's warehouse in DM watch their deals you can get 2fers or 1+1 for $100 What you don't anticipate is the tayloring will cost you around $100
< if you want a cheap-a#s suit.

Buy something nice that will last and won't look like crud

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Dark suit, straight collared 100% cotton white shirt that has been laundered with light starch, nice tie. Black laced shoes. No loafers. Simple black belt. A simple wrist watch is good too but not a cheap plastic model. No need to spend a lot with this simple approach. All business, no non-sense.

You might be about 18 months too late with this advice...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron