where to get a suit

purify

Apr 1, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
You might be about 18 months too late with this advice...

I ended up going with a Men's Wearhouse suit. Went on interviews with 5 companies, got 3 offers. No one cared about the suit at all. And looking back on it, why would they? As long as you look like you can follow business standards, your qualifications are what set you apart.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
Pleats are old school. If you're going to an interview, likely to impress someone fairly older than you, pleats aren't a bad idea at all.

They're on their way out, but there are still members of the "pleats generation" so to speak in the workforce, and they might be hiring you.

Tailoring is a 100% absolute MUST. No questions asked. Figure it in with the cost of the suit to see if you can afford it. A cheap suit that's well-tailored beats an expensive off-the-rack suit 10 times out of 10.

I'm 27 and most of my suits and dress pants are pleated, looks better and way more comfortable IMO

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I have several suits. My go-to suit, and the color may be debatable, is my solid black suit with light blue tie and pocket square. The shirts with this are interchangeable. I just bought my newest addition, with leather-soled shoes, for $1,000. If you want to look like you know what you are doing without flaunting it buy real leather-soled dress shoes and a decent Swiss-made watch. You can get a Tissot or Victorinox for around $500 (cheaper online) and a stainless steel band will go with anything. It may be expensive but this combo will last 10 years without going out of style.

Whoever said all suits must be tailored is correct. There are no exceptions. If you think you have an exception you are wrong. I would rather spend $50 on a suit and $200 on tailoring than $1,000 on a non-tailored suit.

With that being said, a dark charcoal gray is probably the best all-around suit color but I wear black because it hide its flaws better. I wear a tan/light brown suit for events like Easter or a graduation to keep it dressy but not so "business-like".

Men have little room for personalization so don't skimp on shoes or the watch because that's all we really get. A $400 pair of Allen Edmonds is going to look better and hold up against style changes more than $75 on-sale from JCPenney.

Don't wear a blue blazer with khakis for a mid-level interview because it looks too casual. The only salvation for that is if it is winter and you add a sweater to the ensemble and your shoes are good quality.

Most men dress really bad. Once you get a good suit tailored you'll notice right away how many men at conferences have coats that are two sizes too big and it makes them look sloppy.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I ended up going with a Men's Wearhouse suit. Went on interviews with 5 companies, got 3 offers. No one cared about the suit at all. And looking back on it, why would they? As long as you look like you can follow business standards, your qualifications are what set you apart.

How do you know? I've seen plenty of times when someone dressed sharply is treated differently than someone dresses nicely, but casually. It may not matter to some, but I think that is still the minority. Even if someone doesn't say they care, I still think most people do whether they are aware of it or not.

Congrats on the 3 offers. Keep lots of season tickets in your budget!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
How do you know? I've seen plenty of times when someone dressed sharply is treated differently than someone dresses nicely, but casually. It may not matter to some, but I think that is still the minority. Even if someone doesn't say they care, I still think most people do whether they are aware of it or not.

Exactly. When you buy nice shoes you start to notice everyone else's shoes. When you buy a nice watch you suddenly notice when people are wearing a Fossil. The minutia is noticed when you become classier. When I look at photos of myself 10 years ago I cringe because my sport coats are much too big, my shoes aren't shined, etc. People will not say anything to you but they will notice. It is better to be the best-dressed one than not dressy enough. The only exception is if you are going to work for some web company where they have nerf guns on all the desks or something.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Jos. A. Bank when they're doing a 2/3/4 for 1 deal.

Love their suits and you can get like 4 suits for $299

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
So I'm going to be graduating ISU in the spring, and I plan to start looking for employment in the fall, so I'll need a suit. I know of the tuxedo place at the mall, but are there any other places in town? I've never bought a suit before so I don't know my size or anything. So I think I need a place that can walk me through the process a bit. Any places you recommend, or places to avoid?

Also, how much do you guys suggest I spend on a suit that I expect to use for several interviews. I'm a broke college student, but feel it is important to look good for an interview.

Everyone attempted to give you good advice but missed on the biggest problem in this post. If you are graduating in the spring you should be looking for a job now! Many companies hire college graduates before they graduate.

As for your first suit, go to a Men's Warehouse (they will give you the best customer service for the buck, just let them know this is your first suit and they help as much as they can). I don't wear suits that often, and just bought one from MW in Ankeny for around 230 (tailoring included but only pants). You can definitely tell the nice suits from the cheap suits, but why spend a crap-load for an 8-hour interview. Fashion comes and goes so quick you won't care if your suit lasts 5 years.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Everyone attempted to give you good advice but missed on the biggest problem in this post. If you are graduating in the spring you should be looking for a job now! Many companies hire college graduates before they graduate.

As for your first suit, go to a Men's Warehouse (they will give you the best customer service for the buck, just let them know this is your first suit and they help as much as they can). I don't wear suits that often, and just bought one from MW in Ankeny for around 230 (tailoring included but only pants). You can definitely tell the nice suits from the cheap suits, but why spend a crap-load for an 8-hour interview. Fashion comes and goes so quick you won't care if your suit lasts 5 years.

um, might want to look at the op's latest post................

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
He's a suit snob.

No, I just would not be caught dead in a poorly made/looking suit. The entire idea is to look good and professional, people can tell that you got a suit at walmart.

If I go into a job interview and tell them I want to make $100K wearing a $75 suit, they are not going to take me too seriously.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When I've been to J. A. on their sales, the suits are close to $800 without the tailoring costs.
Don't know how much tailoring costs but if it's $50 a piece, then you are looking at a $1000 for 4 suits total.

Help Support Us

Become a patron