Where were you when it happened?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I remember this game (ISU at Iowa 1998) like yesterday. I was at a batchalor party in Minneapolis. Our group was mix of Cyclone and Hawkeye fans. There was a golf outing scheduled for the time of the game. I skipped that and went to Champs bar next to our downtown hotel. The other guys made fun of me for wanting to watch the game, they all knew it would be a waste of time as ISU wasn't going to get their @sses handed to them. So I was at the bar by myself, there was a Wisconsin game watch in there too. As the game unfolded I couldn't believe what I was watching. I went back the room after the game and the phone rang. The guys were on the way back from the golf outing and wanted to know the score, I said 27-9. My Cyclone buddy who was on the phone said we didn't do to bad, I said no, we won 27-9. They were all calling me a liar. Finally they all came filing into the hotel room to check the tv and wait for the scores at the bottom of the screen. When it flashed up there the cyclone fans in the group were both celebrating and kicking themselves that had missed the game. The Iowa fans...stunned.

Really good read.

Last edited:

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I was there and I just kept waiting for the meltdown and it never happened. I’m a Red Sox fans and I had the same feeling when we won the 04 Series

Reactions: Trice

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I was there and I just kept waiting for the meltdown and it never happened. I’m a Red Sox fans and I had the same feeling when we won the 04 Series
I was there in the stands with my 6 year old son. I received the tickets from a Hawkeye fan that I had changed days off for in the past. I had Saturdays off and he had Mondays.

On a side note I am also a Red Sox fan and took my son to Fenway the last week of the regular season in 2004. We watched the Sox lose to Baltimore. My son’s middle name is Yaz and a PR guy for the Sox got us in 4 hours early to the game to watch the Sox batting practice. Johnny Damon came over and took a picture with my son. They gave him an autographed baseball from Yaz. We went on a tour of Fenway and my son did an interview on NESN on the wall during the 7th inning stretch. After the game the movie “Fever Pitch” did a scene where Drew Barrymore ran around a Johnny Damon look alike. It was quite the trip.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
i was barely a teen. My hawk fan buddies told me ISU won (I stopped listening at half figuring even at that age I knew what was going to happen). I didn’t believe them and told them they were dumb asses for thinking they could fool me. They turned on the radio and I legit almost started crying and I didn’t speak for a good hour.

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
I was in the North end zone with my buddy from high school and his dad. We got tickets from his uncle who who was a U of I season ticket holder. Nobody thought it would be much of a game especially since the year before the hawks had run all over us. I had just started my freshman year, two weeks in. I took a couple of fall internships and graduated in 5 years. 5 years at ISU and never saw a loss to the team out East!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We watched in our dorm at Larch and then went nuts on Welch. My roommate’s horn in his car never worked properly again we honked so much. My parents saw footage on WHO of me jumping off the roof of a car toward the tv cameras. I don’t think any guys in our group of five even had alcohol, just pure youthful energy.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
At home, with then-spouse and a mutual friend. We weren't gathered specifically to watch it, but of course I wasn't going to miss it. I said, "I'll keep it on as long as the game doesn't get out of hand." Never imagined it'd be dominance in the "fun" way.

Reactions: Trice

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I was in the Navy on a ship somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. Bribed the tv/radio shop onboard with some Dr. Pepper and Twizzlers and they let me watch a satellite feed on like a 4-inch screen with headphones in a room the size of a mop closet. It was glorious!
Thank you for your service.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Was at the game. Weird game, just total ass kicking.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't catch it. Was just at home being a high schooler...was probably fishing.

It was cool and fun for ISU to send Hayden out like that but I hate how that was the 'turn the corner' moment for the ISU program as it's what Hawk fans point to any time ISU wins the game.

I've had friends say the same thing for the basketball game over the years.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Wife was working at the post office at the time and was given 2 tickets. Didn't really want to go not much of a fan of that dump site..........but what the heck. Found out first hand what parking was like wearing Cyclone gear and having to get a spot in an apartment complex a 45 minute walk from hysterical kinnick dodging full beer cans.

Really enjoyed the game, and to be truthful I think watching that stadium empty in the third quarter was more fun that the actual victory.

Reactions: Trice and RezClone