Whiskey

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
The Urbandale HyVee Booze Sale thread got me thinking we need a thread dedicated to whiskey.

As a relatively new drinker of whiskey, I'm interested in hearing what peoples tastes are, favorite/go to whiskeys, go to spots in the metro for whiskey, etc.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Flavored whiskeys are a godsend. Cinnamon whiskeys (Prairie Fire is god-tier) are hit or miss, some are very good. Honey (Jack Honey is great) whiskeys are often good, even cheaper ones. Caramel ones are usually okay. In fairness, I can drink everything from Canadian Club to Makers Mark and beyond, so I may have some lax taste buds.

I know it isn't really whiskey, but I saw last night that Winter Jack has returned to the shelves. I'm so pumped for that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gerbs and preacherH

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If you are going for a more expensive bottle of whiskey, I found that John J Bowman was far better and significantly cheaper than Johnnie Walker. But that is just my opinion, I am sure.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
cedar-ridge-iowa-bourbon-whiskey-gold-1.png

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I like Irish whiskies (Jameson and Two Gingers) the best. I've found all the honey whiskies I've tried are pretty good (Jack, Jim Beam and Wild Turkey). Crown Royal (Canadien) is very, very drinkable but CC and Seagrams 7 are both pretty good at a fraction of the cost. For traditional American whiskies, I think Makers Mark is pretty good.

One bit of practical advice, the Costco versions of spirits taste pretty much the same but tend to have only a slightly different color if you want to save a bit of money.

I'm not mentioning any of the higher end whiskies as I drink them so rarely I don't really have much of an opinion about them.

Reactions: SCyclone

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
The Urbandale HyVee Booze Sale thread got me thinking we need a thread dedicated to whiskey.

As a relatively new drinker of whiskey, I'm interested in hearing what peoples tastes are, favorite/go to whiskeys, go to spots in the metro for whiskey, etc.

Juniper Moon on Ingersol has a ton of whiskeys as does Bubba's on 10th and Mulberry.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Both Cedar Ridge and Cody Road are very good if you are looking for American craft whiskies (both Iowa products).

My preference is Scottish single malt. Can't really give a favorite because I like to try as many as I can. A good place to start for most people is something that isn't as heavily smoked. Oban, Dalhwinnie, & Auchentoshan Three Wood come to mind.

Less expensive that I'll either mix or have on a little ice is Bushmills for an Irish or J&B for a blended Scotch.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Buffalo Trace is a very solid, decently priced whiskey that I find myself buying more often than not when searching for hard liquor.

Agreed. Very nice bang for your buck. I usually keep a bottle of this and a bottle of Woodford in my cabinet. Both are good, reasonably priced options.

Vom Fass is a fancypants place in Des Moines that sells high end and small batch liquors, oils, and vinegars. Sometimes they have some good stuff that you can't get at Hy-Vee. Pretty liberal tasting and sampling policy. I recommend it.

https://www.vomfassusa.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: srjclone

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Woodford Reserve is my go to bourbon.
I like to keep a bottle of Templeton Rye around. I haven't had the 6 year yet, not sure if it's worth the extra price.
For scotch, I really like Balvenie.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Anyone tried a Japanese whiskey? I saw some on the menu at Bubba's but I had already picked something else. Worth the trouble or just a trendy thing?