Whiskey

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Everything that High West puts out is amazing. Right now the four I go between are High West Campfire, Blanton's Single, Four Roses Small Batch and Jameson Caskmates. Caskmates is unlike anything I've ever had. It was aged further in barrels that had been used for a barrel-aged stout. Lots of chocolate notes.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Everything that High West puts out is amazing. Right now the four I go between are High West Campfire, Blanton's Single, Four Roses Small Batch and Jameson Caskmates. Caskmates is unlike anything I've ever had. It was aged further in barrels that had been used for a barrel-aged stout. Lots of chocolate notes.

Holy hell, that sounds incredible. Where do you find it?

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I was never much of a Whiskey fan until my boss bought me a bottle of Buffalo Trace for Christmas a few years ago. Now I find myself buying a bottle of Buffalo Trace about once a month.

Reactions: cygrads

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I got mine down here in Arizona. I would imagine that Hy-Vee would have it.

I'll have to look. If it's more expensive then that's probably the reason I can't recall ever having seen it there. For me it's the cheap stuff, especially if all I'm doing while drinking it is sitting in the dark trying to rock my kid to sleep.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I'll have to look. If it's more expensive then that's probably the reason I can't recall ever having seen it there. For me it's the cheap stuff, especially if all I'm doing while drinking it is sitting in the dark trying to rock my kid to sleep.

It is probably $8-10 more than your OG Jameson.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I like Rittenhouse Rye (or if not available at HyVee, Bulleit) for Manhattans, Old Fashioned, etc.

To drink neat, I like Scotch (single malt) whisky. It is pricey, but to save for the infrequent 3 oz glass on special occasions, I think it is worth it. Let it sit in your mouth vs quickly swallow, then no burn.

I like the smoky/peaty ones in the N-NE quadrant here:
Flavor+Map.jpg

...and so does Ron Swanson! :)
3J9VS6W.jpg

s07-ep13-lagavulin1-1000x500.jpg

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I'm looking for a good bottle of bourbon priced between $60-$80, suggestions? I'm always trying something new and very rarely buy something twice. I'm the same way with craft beers.
I've always liked Rip or Pappy Van Winkle for stuff over the $20-30 range. Don't tell my wife.

2015-Pappy-Van-Winkle-Bourbon-Retail-price1.png

Reactions: cychhosis

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
If you're a new whiskey drinker stick with the sweet mellow bourbons to start.

1. Makers Mark on rocks
2. Eagle Rare with splash of water
3. Cedar Ridge neat
4. Elijah Craig on rocks
5. Buffalo Trace as a shooter

For mixing you can't beat Evan Williams and coke or diet. It is freakin heaven. I mix 3/4 Evan and 1/4 coke and it's so smooth. Wife even likes it and she hates whiskey. Much better than Jack and it's only $15 per bottle.

If you want something not so mellow try Bulleit.

After you get through these try scotch. Then dump scotch down drain and go get more bourbon.

I feel like I’m looking in a mirror right now. My go to for mixed is Evan Williams and diet mixed exactly as you stated. I absolutely despise drinking Jack.

My other favorites are Woodford, Evan Williams single barrel, Tin Cup, Elijah Craig and Bulleit. I’m drinking Beam at a bar if they don’t carry Evan Williams.

I can’t stand drinking scotch either.

Reactions: RotatingColumn

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I've mentioned it before in other whiskey threads but worth another mention. Found a bourbon called Johnny Drum last time I was in Kentucky. It's done by Willett Distillery. According to their website it isn't currently available in Iowa but is in MN and WI.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Tin Cup is an excellent Colorado bourbon. It is has a sweeter malt flavor, so it depends on your taste. They distill it in house. Most craft distilleries will buy their straight whisk(e)y/vodkas from large producers and then age/filter it in house. It is not a bad thing, but just something to know.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jbindm

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Tin Cup is an excellent Colorado bourbon. It is has a sweeter malt flavor, so it depends on your taste. They distill it in house. Most craft distilleries will buy their straight whisk(e)y/vodkas from large producers and then age/filter it in house. It is not a bad thing, but just something to know.
Has this changed recently? When I was reading a year or two ago Tin Cup was sourcing their bourbon from MGP in Indiana then cutting it with Colorado water and aging it in house. (They do add a single digit percentage of Stranahan's, their other brand, which they distill in house.)

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
My college go to was Old Crow, basement bottom price and it got the job done! I still laugh to this day when I see it on the shelf in stores asking myself what the hell I was thinking!!