Who is better? Gable or Sanderson

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Here is proof that Gable was not as good as sanderson in college.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhH4aTWi-M]YouTube - Dan Gable vs Larry Owings[/ame]

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
I would say Cael, but it was also different eras. Like saying who was better Montana or Brady. I would say it is tough to compare. Both were amazing in college and then have the olympic gold, and if I am not mistaking I do not think Gable gave up an earned point during the olympics. Tough to say.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Gable wore leggings. Sanderson didn't. Sanderson's automatically better than Gable IMO (at least not as femmish)...

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Impossible to answer who was the better wrestler.

They are arguably the two best collegiate wrestlers ever and the good news is they were both Cyclones. Of course I lprefer Cael a little better since he is coaching ISU and cant's wait to see the Clones kick the crap out of the Hawks on Sunday.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I agree, it's almost impossible to say but I'd have to give the tossup to Cael just because I think the current wrestling world is harder than it was back then as far as winning so much goes.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
To be fair to a Cyclone great, we should watch the couple hundred victories as well. Both had unbelievable careers. Both were the best of their era. Impossible to say. Didn't Gable also follow that dude around and beat his *** over and over again after that?

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
either way, you have to give both a ton of respect. what an accomplishment. not a big fan of gable anymore, he is kind of like darth vader for me-he went to the dark side and is now twisted and evil. side note, when gable was in school, they didn't let freshmen wrestle, so he was only undefeated for 3 years minus his last match.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Great video. I wonder what Owings said to Gable at the end of the match. Owings seemed awfully subdued, almost embarassed to have beaten Gable.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Gable wrestled for ISU -- so isn't this a bit awkward? The 2 best ever wrestlers were Cyclones. How 'bout that!

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
either way, you have to give both a ton of respect. what an accomplishment. not a big fan of gable anymore, he is kind of like darth vader for me-he went to the dark side and is now twisted and evil. side note, when gable was in school, they didn't let freshmen wrestle, so he was only undefeated for 3 years minus his last match.
Just find that humerous.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I agree, it's almost impossible to say but I'd have to give the tossup to Cael just because I think the current wrestling world is harder than it was back then as far as winning so much goes.

Both were phenominal wrestlers. It's like being Tony Romo and picking between Jessica Simpson or Carrie Underwood.

clonez

Sep 14, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Carrie hands down, at least you could talk to her.

PS I figured you would be on right now checking for ammo for your show tomorrow :wink:

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Carrie hands down, at least you could talk to her.

PS I figured you would be on right now checking for ammo for your show tomorrow :wink:

I always want to see what ISU fans are saying and thinking. I think that is a part of my job to know that, to be as fair as I can to ISU.

Plus, I wanted to weigh in on what I expected to see in some threads, a trashing of GMac and the program right now.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I always want to see what ISU fans are saying and thinking. I think that is a part of my job to know that, to be as fair as I can to ISU.

Plus, I wanted to weigh in on what I expected to see in some threads, a trashing of GMac and the program right now.

Trashing? There is no trashing here. You must accidentally be reading another site at those points. :biggrin: