Who is better? Gable or Sanderson

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I think of lot of wrestlers and wrestling coaches are like that. I've met Gable and he seems like a nice enough guy--for a wrestler. Anytime I meet a wrestler I'm afraid they're going to eat me. :wideeyed:

His mind is always on the sport and nothing else. That's usually the case for the best coaches in any sport. And another thing about wrestlers is they don't give a **** what anybody else thinks about them. So if he was acting like a jerk, I'm sure he didn't feel like it was his problem.

There's a difference between the wrestling attitude, generally the "I'm a bad-*** who takes no prisoners", and Gable's "I'm an a-hole. Love me" attitude.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
i found it disturbing during the match when he was"coaching" the iowa wrestlers and kept referring to iowa as "we" also i think i heard another announcer say that he was thrilled with the fact that iowa was winning the team score at one point during the match. how's that for unbiased journalism!

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
There's a difference between the wrestling attitude, generally the "I'm a bad-*** who takes no prisoners", and Gable's "I'm an a-hole. Love me" attitude.

Fair enough. I guess I just didn't see the "I'm an a-hole. Love me" attitude in Gable when I met him. But if others have seen him act like a jerk, then I guess that's a valid point. But if what was said earlier in this thread about Gable not being offered a good job at ISU is true, then I can't necessarily say I'd blame him for being a little bit of a jerk when he comes back here.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Fair enough. I guess I just didn't see the "I'm an a-hole. Love me" attitude in Gable when I met him. But if others have seen him act like a jerk, then I guess that's a valid point. But if what was said earlier in this thread about Gable not being offered a good job at ISU is true, then I can't necessarily say I'd blame him for being a little bit of a jerk when he comes back here.

Most people that know about that situation know that's why he left ISU. However, he could have gone to any other school, and the hatred wouldn't run nearly as deep as it does because he fled to Iowa and became a legend over yonder. And as was said earlier, ISU couldn't really strong-arm Nichols out of the HC position because of his tenure to make room for Gable. It still doesn't change my opinion that Gable's a nancy.

And by gable's attitude ("I'm an a-hole") it stems from him believing that everyone should respect him, regardless of who he's stepped on, and how classless he acts.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
This thread should be deleted. Perhaps 2 of the best wrestlers ever, in different weights, in different eras. Both at Iowa State. The more important question at this moment is whether or not Cael is the coach that Gable was. That will be Cael's ultimate legacy. If he is able to do for Iowa State as a coach what Gable did as a coach then we have something. The problem we have is that Brands stands in the way and he is up for the challenge. Should be an interesting next 10-20 years.

Rudy Katoot

Jul 11, 2006
There is no doubt that Dan was a great wrestler and continued to be great for years after he graduated. But in my mind, if both were in their prime and facing each other in college, Cael would over-power Dan.

Ben Peterson (also ISU) wrestled at the same time as Dan. There was many a meet when Ben would be the outstanding wrestler on the night; he often made opponents look inept. But Ben and Dan were 2 different weights so they did not face each other except in the practice room. So, is there anyone out there who has ever seen a wrestle-off between Dan and Ben!
Rudy

troyrew

Apr 19, 2006
Las Vegas
Cael was bigger

Dan was more dominating and scored more team points

cael never lost in college

cael almost missed the olympic team

dan dominated in the olympics.

Dan was better 1 loss says diffetent in college but in freestyle its not close.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
sanderson would pin gable in a new york second!!!

sanderson is much better on his feet and is a tougher rider than gable. the only thing gable knows better than sanderson is the
grandby roll because that is all gable knew.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
For the record, I know lots of old guys who point with their middle finger. Never understood why--but that's what it looked like to me . . .

I would agree if it was only the 1 finger salute, but what I seen(or SAW) on TV was the added version. The version where you put your left hand inside your elbow while you are raising your right hand with the middle finger salute. If he was pointing, it was at someone up in the rafters....

Gable is just no-class and above is just one reference I saw directly. I had a customer that wrestled at ISU with Gable and some of the stories he has told me about Gable tell me what kind of person he is/was and why I am thankfull he didn't coach at ISU. That might seem shallow because we could have had those years dominating everyone, but as I get older, I realize that championships led by low class scum is secondary to running a clean program with integrity. With Cael, I think we'll get championships with integrity and that is the best way to get it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron