Who is the Cyclones' "Jenga Piece?"

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/7/8/15941614/minnesota-vikings-jenga-piece

I though this was a pretty interesting article and it got me thinking, who is the "Jenga Piece" on the football team that would, literally, fall apart without? (i.e. Park, Lazard, Campos, Cotton-Moya, Peavy, Lanning, etc...)

PW-2016-04-01-jenga.jpg

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Highly interesting question! My first thought was Park. However, if a backup - Lanning in all probably - with high skills could prevent a significant falloff in performance, then Park is not the answer.

So, then, I asked myself, what spot on the squad is not yet proven but is critical to the outcome of the season? Receiver, running back, defensive back all look decently stocked with proven performers and talented youths. That leaves OLine, DLine, Linebacker groups.

Secondhand, I've heard a couple of things. 1 - The DLine has the potential to become Big 12 very good; 2 - Linebacker Willie Harvey has high level ability.

For me, then, the focus is on - surprise! - the OLine.

Meeker, I like a lot what I saw of him in the spring game. Great footwork, power, sustainability on blocks.

Campos, who did not participate in spring ball, how well can he rebound from 2016's pre-season broken ankle?

Julian Good-Jones is an understood athlete, few question marks.

OG Oge Udeogu, did he play in the spring game? (IIRC, he had a niggling injury and was held out. Correct?) For me, he's an unknown although he's projected to be in the battle to start.

OG Robbie Garcia, watching him in November games, I was happy for the kid to see that he played aggressively with power and technique.

Rookie OT Sean Foster, when I focused on him for a few plays during the spring game, seemed to dominate huge DE Eyioma Uwazurike.

So, now, I'm not only down to the OLine as the key unit to success in the fall, I'm focused on the health of Campos and the impact that Udeogu might make. But, there's a third guy that must factor in: Josh Knipfel, the transfer in from Western Iowa.

So, myself, I'm down to three key figures, all OLinemen:
1 - Udeogu - can he perform?
2 - Campos - will he recover well enough from a severe injury?
3 - Knipfel - will he be P5 ready?

The coaches have said that Campos looks good, he's recovered well from injury with rehab, they expect him to be fully ready to go for fall camp.

Knipfel is an unknown, although he is highly regarded and reportedly has an extra element in that he is a Cyclone fan of standing. There is an adjustment there that must be made, to P5 football, to iSu practices and playbook.

Ugeogu - OK, here's my guy. The offense, skill-wise, has superior potential. The unknown segment of the offense, though, at this point, is the offensive line. Last fall Meeker and Good-Jones played many snaps, Garcia got some snaps, too, along the way. Udeogu redshirted.

When Udeogu signed out of JC, CMC raved, beyond what seemed typical, about Udeogu's athleticism. A former soccer player who grew into a 6-3, 320 pounder who excelled at strength and movement. He came in late for fall camp in 2016 out of shape, it was said, and it took some time for him to adjust to his new P5 environment. From what we've heard, he's made strong progress.

Before I began this long-winded exercise, I had no idea where I would end up. That was the fun of it. So, cyfan21, thanks much for providing entertainment tonight! My candidate for iSu Jenga piece:

OG Oge Udeogu.

Last edited:

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Highly interesting question! My first thought was Park. However, if a backup - Lanning in all probably - with high skills could prevent a significant falloff in performance, then Park is not the answer.

So, then, I asked myself, what spot on the squad is not yet proven but is critical to the outcome of the season? Receiver, running back, defensive back all look decently stocked with proven performers and talented youths. That leaves OLine, DLine, Linebacker groups.

Secondhand, I've heard a couple of "weird" things - both are hearsay, not fact. 1 - The DLine has the potential to become Big 12 exceptional; 2 - Linebacker Willie Harvey has as much ability as anyone the coaches have had at that position during their coaching careers (Toledo-iSu).

Meeker, I like a lot what I saw of him in the spring game. Great footwork, power, sustainability on blocks.

Campos, who did not participate in spring ball, how well can he rebound from 2016's pre-season broken ankle?

OG Oge Udeogu, did he play in the spring game? (IIRC, he had a niggling injury and was held out. Correct?) For me, he's an unknown although he's projected to be in the battle to start.

OG Robbie Garcia, watching him in November games, I was happy for the kid to see that he played aggressively with power and technique.

Rookie OT Sean Foster, when I focused on him for a few plays during the spring game, seemed to dominate huge DE Eyioma Uwazurike.

So, now, I'm not only down to the OLine as the key unit to success in the fall, I'm focused on the health of Campos and the impact that Udeogu might make. But, there's a third guy that must factor in: Josh Knipfel, the transfer in from Western Iowa.

The coaches have said that Campos looks good, he's recovered well from injury with rehab, they expect him to be fully ready to go for fall camp.

Knipfel is an unknown, although he is highly regarded and reportedly has an extra element in that he is a Cyclone fan of standing. There is an adjustment there that must be made, to P5 football, to iSu practices and playbook.

Ugeogu - OK, here's my guy. The offense, skill-wise, has superior potential. The unknown segment of the offense, though, at this point, is the offensive line. Last fall Meeker and Good-Jones played many snaps, Garcia got some snaps, too, along the way. Udeogu redshirted.

When Udeogu signed out of JC, CMC raved, beyond what seemed typical, about Udeogu's athleticism. A former soccer player who grew into a 6-3, 320 pounder who excelled at strength and movement. He came in late for fall camp in 2016 out of shape, it was said, and it took some time for him to adjust to his new P5 environment. From what we've heard, he's made strong progress.

Before I began this long-winded exercise, I had no idea where I would end up. That was the fun of it. So, cyfan21, thanks much for providing entertainment tonight! My candidate for iSu Jenga piece:

OG Oge Udeogu.

All that and you settled on an OG?

#overthink

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would say having one of college football's worst all time records tapping the team on their shoulders every time things are going well is a pretty big piece.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport

Secondhand, I've heard a couple of "weird" things - both are hearsay, not fact. 1 - The DLine has the potential to become Big 12 exceptional; 2 - Linebacker Willie Harvey has as much ability as anyone the coaches have had at that position during their coaching careers (Toledo-iSu).

OG Oge Udeogu.

Well thought out CyValley, I'm glad you enjoyed the question as much as I did. When I initially wrote the question I was leaning towards O-line and D-line as well (leaning more towards O-line because the unit has more continuity). I'm picking Campos as the "Jenna Piece" because he's a seasoned veteran that can help mask some deficiencies on the line for other players and a team captain as well.

Reactions: CyValley

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
And you guys tl;dr me... :p

I actually thought of you while reading that.:p

I initially thought that it can't be Campos because we already lost him once. But then, I considered how the season went without him & it made me reconsider. Hard to discount that if he was there all season it could have went much better.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

OG Oge Udeogu.

Have you ever played Jenga?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Have you ever played Jenga?

Jenga? I don't have a clue, really, what it is, to be honest. I'm a misanthrope, so I'm poorly informed about what's happening out there in the wider (screwy) world. So, did I miss something in my response to the OP's question?

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
In my mind this one is easy. The position group is DT. I actually don't know for sure which guy it is and not sure it matters. We are going to be so thin there this year. If I had to pick one guy my guess is Lima. It sounds from the reports he might be our best. Tongamoa will likely not really be ready. Our DL was pushed around so much last year and we left the best ones in that line. DL is probably the hardest spot to hide weaker players as well

This is the jenga piece because this would lead to a lot of rushing yards. The ones left will likely get tired and be less effective which means they will be unable to get pressure on the inside. They will also struggle to occupy Olineman who will be able to get to the second level easier making it harder on the LBs. The DBs will then have to help with the run game making it easier to be beat over the top....Jenga

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
In my mind this one is easy. The position group is DT. I actually don't know for sure which guy it is and not sure it matters. We are going to be so thin there this year. If I had to pick one guy my guess is Lima. It sounds from the reports he might be our best. Tongamoa will likely not really be ready. Our DL was pushed around so much last year and we left the best ones in that line. DL is probably the hardest spot to hide weaker players as well

This is the jenga piece because this would lead to a lot of rushing yards. The ones left will likely get tired and be less effective which means they will be unable to get pressure on the inside. They will also struggle to occupy Olineman who will be able to get to the second level easier making it harder on the LBs. The DBs will then have to help with the run game making it easier to be beat over the top....Jenga
Yep, I'd either say Park or a defensive lineman. ISU never seems to have enough D-linemen, but there are several bodies there now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It's got to be DLine, the defense would look much different without the middle of the field wide open.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is a very interesting question, especially this year.

The easy and obvious quick answer would be Park. Most teams in the country would not fare well without their starting QB, and ISU won't be any different most likely. The most interesting question IMO, is if for whatever reason Park can't play, who would come in as his backup? Some say Lanning, but I think it will be Noland. I think Lanning will be used very sparingly as a QB, and when he is, it will only be to run. Noland is going to be better prepared to come in and run the whole offense versus Lanning IMO.

But to answer the original question, I have a feeling the success of our season might come down to the health of Jake Campos. I think depth of the OL is a big issue for us, especially at the tackle position, one of the most important on the OL. If Campos is not there, then I think the entire OL will need to be re-shuffled possibly, with Meeker moving to tackle or something like that, and I think when you start re-shuffling an OL, you are in trouble.

I was also considering Tongamoa, because I'm concerned about the interior of the DL, but with his (hopefully) very late arrival, I'm worried if he'll even be ready to help us much this year? I hope so, but we can't count on it that's for sure.

In the Big 12 especially, you need to put up points. Defense is important, but if your offense can't put up 30+ pts a game, you don't have a chance to win many games. And no matter how good your skill positions are on offense, if you don't have an OL that can open running lanes or protect the passer and give him time to throw, you aren't squat.

So I'm going with Campos.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21