Who is the Cyclones' "Jenga Piece?"

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I legitimately misread the thread title as Jenga Pierce and thought this was going to be some human interest piece about some walk-on I hadn't heard about.
What I picture Jenga Pierce to look like:
MV5BMTI2NzQyMTE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDUwNzc3._V1_.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
FYI - It will always be the Oline or Dline or both. We could have Jamaal Charles and Walter Payton at RB, Joe Montana at QB, Lyn Swann and Larry Fitzgerald as WR, Edelman as scatback , Gronk and Kelce as TE and still go under .500 with our Oline/Dline play. Without those 2 position groups the specialty players mean nothing! If they don't manhandle UNI then we are looking at another sub.500 campaign. Cannot wear the rosy glasses anymore - the Process needs to start there. Look at all the good backs we have had and then look at records - specialty guys cannot block on Oline nor play Dline. We have had many heroes as Cyclones - I would like a team!

I mean Charles isn't a good example, he had a lot of success with bad OL's, as did Barry Sanders. Even some of Peyton Mannings OL's with the Colts weren't very good, they just made the OL's look better than they were.

See how good the Patriots OL looked with Brady, how bad that same OL looked with Cassel, then it was suddenly fine again with Brady back.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
This always boils down to the lines on either/both sides of the ball for us, IMO.

Park touches the ball on every play on offense, and a lot of times I cringe. That kid can be a total turnover machine. Just like he can win a game, he can give it away. I hope he doesn't think his arm can overcome every coverage on the field this year.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
It's gotta be Park. I have a feeling that we have a legitimate chance at going a whole season without a starting QB controversy. I think Campbell has been smart and put pressure on the competition for second string, that way people can't cry for the backup the minute something goes wrong.

I'm not saying it won't happen or that one of the other QBs couldn't step up, but people are less likely to lose confidence in a player when they don't have a clear cut alternative to run to.

That's mostly why I pick Park. Lose him and we go right back to a 3-way QB controversy. We know all too well what that sort of thing can do to a team.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This always boils down to the lines on either/both sides of the ball for us, IMO.

Park touches the ball on every play on offense, and a lot of times I cringe. That kid can be a total turnover machine. Just like he can win a game, he can give it away. I hope he doesn't think his arm can overcome every coverage on the field this year.

I get what you're saying, since he's the gunslinging/risk taking throwing type. But, he did only throw 5INT compared to 12 TD and I don't recall him losing many fumbles.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think a lot of people are sleeping on Zeb Noland. He and Park were both listed as #2 QB prior to the start of last season, and that was as a true Freshman. Noland has had a season to not only heal, but to learn the offense. I don't think Noland is going to beat Park out at the start of the season, but if something were to happen to Park I don't feel that the drop-off is as bad as it could be at other positions.

See, I tend to agree with this. If for some reason Park had to sit, I think we'd see Noland in there. Not Lanning, and not Kempt. The coaches, and in particular CMC, were VERY high on Noland going into last season before he got hurt. He won the "workout warrior" award (or whatever it's called in the weightroom.

I just feel like he'll be the next one in if Park can't go for whatever reason, and I think he'll do a fine job too.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
See, I tend to agree with this. If for some reason Park had to sit, I think we'd see Noland in there. Not Lanning, and not Kempt. The coaches, and in particular CMC, were VERY high on Noland going into last season before he got hurt. He won the "workout warrior" award (or whatever it's called in the weightroom.

I just feel like he'll be the next one in if Park can't go for whatever reason, and I think he'll do a fine job too.
I tend to view this as coaches speak. I'm sure Noland will make a fine QB someday but I doubt he will be beating out two seniors if Park is out for whatever reason. Maybe he really is that good, but I have no good history to go off of but our own and when someone hypes a QB here, it tends to be not so good.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron