Why are the Huskers a pre-season top 10?

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
My son lives in Omaha and we have decided that we do not believe the hype coming out of Lincoln this year. I'm just a fan, but my son played SS in Div III (at 200lbs he terrorized Div III receivers going over the middle). Any way, NU is just not a top 10 team. Put that stuff on the garden if you want, but I'm not buying it.

Listen to their coaches telling you why NU will be better than last year:

Line depth on defense a big plus for Papuchis - Omaha.com

“I think we're going to make up for what we lost in talent with depth and quality numbers,â€￾ Papuchis said. That's the DE coach talking about the D line this year. They lost the best DT they have ever had - no 2 overall pick. And they are excited to replace him with lots of guys who can play. Get the Lions on the phone. Maybe they want to trade Suh for those guys (maybe not).

I recently saw a pre-season rating of conference QB's. Zach Lee is 7th. And the secret that is right out there in front of everyone is that Lee underwent surgery on his throwing arm in the off season. He did not play a snap in spring ball. NU does not know WHO their QB will be this year. Tim Beck, NU RB coach is not worried, though: Beck didn't make it too long in his question-and-answer session with fans Friday night before he was asked about Lee. But Beck insisted he had no news.
“I haven't talked to him,â€￾ Beck said. “We expect him to be 100 percent.â€￾

Suh wasn't the only loss. Larry Assante was drafted out of the defensive backfield in the 5th round. Oh yes, and Dillard was drafted in round 4 as a LB.

Prince Amukamara is back at DB. He had a good year last year sitting back in his zone while Suh and company harrassed opposing QB's into throwing the ball to him. Coverage might be a little tougher this year with out the chief disrupter up front, and with opposing QB's throwing to receivers who have time to get open. We're going to find out how good Crick is when HE gets the double teams instead of Suh.

So, on the defensive side of the ball, NU is going to be better because they have no outstanding talent, but they have something called "quality numbers"? Again, I am sure it is good for the roses, but I ain't buying any of it.

Take heart though, Huskers, the offense, which stunk all last year, is back intact (with a question mark at QB - if he comes through, he is the 7th rated QB in the league, if not, well there's always quality numbers to fall back on).

These guys have not done that well in Ames in recent years. I'm thinking we show them the conference door with back to back Cyclone victories and another big Cyclone win in Ames. We took them last year with our starting backfield out of the lineup. Our guys (who handled Suh last year, thank you very much) are back. KO and Alvarez are pretty sure that handling the best in the nation last year has prepped them adequately for "quality numbers" this fall.

The Big 12 North is no walk in the park for NU this year, and in my book, the Huskers have a lot to prove to really be a top 10 team. When you put the hype aside and put the facts through the BS detector, the needle pegs out.

Let's beat these guys and give them a proper send off to the Big Ten.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
My son lives in Omaha and we have decided that we do not believe the hype coming out of Lincoln this year. I'm just a fan, but my son played SS in Div III (at 200lbs he terrorized Div III receivers going over the middle). Any way, NU is just not a top 10 team. Put that stuff on the garden if you want, but I'm not buying it.

“I think we're going to make up for what we lost in talent with depth and quality numbers,â€￾ Papuchis said. That's the DE coach talking about the D line this year. They lost the best DT they have ever had - no 2 overall pick. And they are excited to replace him with lots of guys who can play. Get the Lions on the phone. Maybe they want to trade Suh for those guys (maybe not).

I recently saw a pre-season rating of conference QB's. Zach Lee is 7th. And the secret that is right out there in front of everyone is that Lee underwent surgery on his throwing arm in the off season. He did not play a snap in spring ball. NU does not know WHO their QB will be this year. Tim Beck, NU RB coach is not worried, though: Beck didn't make it too long in his question-and-answer session with fans Friday night before he was asked about Lee. But Beck insisted he had no news.

Suh wasn't the only loss. Larry Assante was drafted out of the defensive backfield in the 5th round. Oh yes, and Dillard was drafted in round 4 as a LB.

Prince Amukamara is back at DB. He had a good year last year sitting back in his zone while Suh and company harrassed opposing QB's into throwing the ball to him. Coverage might be a little tougher this year with out the chief disrupter up front, and with opposing QB's throwing to receivers who have time to get open. We're going to find out how good Crick is when HE gets the double teams instead of Suh.

So, on the defensive side of the ball, NU is going to be better because they have no outstanding talent, but they have something called "quality numbers"? Again, I am sure it is good for the roses, but I ain't buying any of it.

Take heart though, Huskers, the offense, which stunk all last year, is back intact (with a question mark at QB - if he comes through, he is the 7th rated QB in the league, if not, well there's always quality numbers to fall back on).

These guys have not done that well in Ames in recent years. I'm thinking we show them the conference door with back to back Cyclone victories and another big Cyclone win in Ames. We took them last year with our starting backfield out of the lineup. Our guys (who handled Suh last year, thank you very much) are back. KO and Alvarez are pretty sure that handling the best in the nation last year has prepped them adequately for "quality numbers" this fall.

The Big 12 North is no walk in the park for NU this year, and in my book, the Huskers have a lot to prove to really be a top 10 team. When you put the hype aside and put the facts through the BS detector, the needle pegs out.

HUCK the FUSKERS!:yes:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
They will be good, but not that good.

Woohoo my 1000th post!:yes:

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Good perspective. Your argument is certainly better than any I have seen for them being a top 10 team. They'll probably win the North, but it won't be as easy as everyone is making it out to be.

I think the most interesting thing to watch with them will be their DL play. I mean, Suh was one of the most dominant college football players I have ever seen. He could take control of a game from the DT spot...which is so rare. I have a hard time believing that he wasn't the absolute key of that defense last year. Will they get any pressure on the QB? We'll find out.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Good perspective. Your argument is certainly better than any I have seen for them being a top 10 team. They'll probably win the North, but it won't be as easy as everyone is making it out to be.

I think the most interesting thing to watch with them will be their DL play. I mean, Suh was one of the most dominant college football players I have ever seen. He could take control of a game from the DT spot...which is so rare. I have a hard time believing that he wasn't the absolute key of that defense last year. Will they get any pressure on the QB? We'll find out.

They are not going to get any pressure on OUR QB. Our O-line is quite a bit better than their D-line. You really think they will win the North that easily? I'll bet they lose to Iowa State and Missouri, and Snyder at KSU has had their number for years. They haven't got the horses.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Zach Lee is a bad QB. His team isn't good enough to make-up for his screw-ups like ole Neckbeard's team. Cody Green hasn't proven squat either. Until they get a consistent/good QB, they aren't going to go very far.

EICy

Jul 3, 2010
They are not going to get any pressure on OUR QB. Our O-line is quite a bit better than their D-line. You really think they will win the North that easily? I'll bet they lose to Iowa State and Missouri, and Snyder at KSU has had their number for years. They haven't got the horses.
yup

7-5 at best, probably 6-6

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Zach Lee is a bad QB. His team isn't good enough to make-up for his screw-ups like ole Neckbeard's team. Cody Green hasn't proven squat either. Until they get a consistent/good QB, they aren't going to go very far.
He has a dead arm and may not start.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
14tds and 10 picks. 3 against ISU and 3 were against Texas. I think people are getting carried away. On a side note Rick Stanzi threw 17 and 15.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

so what's your son say about our team? my grandson plays catch with me in the backyard, and while he doesn't terrorize any division 3 players, he's pretty excited about us dominating this season.

Reactions: HiltonMagic

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
yup

7-5 at best, probably 6-6

Hogwash..........

8-4 at the very worst. Last I checked the North isnt a powerhouse and there out of conference schedule is a joke except maybe UW.

I do hate Nebby btw.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida

He sees a lot of question marks at receiver and on the DL. But here's the thing: Football is about knocking people down. The Offensive line is the key. They are the engine that drives scoring and they are they best defense there is - if they are good they will keep the ball away from your opponent and keep him on the bench. If you don't have a good O-line, you are going nowhere. If you have a good one, anything is possible. We have a very good one.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Pelini's body of work everywhere he's been is rock solid on defense...and that won't change this year. That alone will get them 8 wins at bare minimum. 8-4 will be a total disastor in this case. Predicting 6 or 7 wins is flat out crazy. NU is going to only going to win 2 or 3 conference games this year?

Say they can't get a consistent push with the front 4 like last year....you think the Pelini brothers won't be able to figure out something else to create pressure and cause some havoc? You think they won;t find a way to stop people. Thats what they do, and that's all they do.

NU won't have a flashy or dominant season imo, but they will find a way to pull out tough games. CU, KSU, and Ku will likely not be offensive juggernauts, and all 3 will have to rely on the run. OSU is in severe rebuilding mode on defense, and will need to run very well to win games. Texas is going to run the ball a lot more this year, and not be as explosive. I don't see a scarry scoreboard monster in the bunch there.

ATM, and Mizzou are the only foes on tap that pose some valid match-up issues for NU with great passing games. Hard to say about ISU...if the passing game doesn't click, they'll have to rely on running and eating clock again.

Reactions: CyBobby

simesclone

Feb 18, 2010
Pelini's body of work everywhere he's been is rock solid on defense...and that won't change this year. That alone will get them 8 wins at bare minimum. 8-4 will be a total disastor in this case. Predicting 6 or 7 wins is flat out crazy. NU is going to only going to win 2 or 3 conference games this year?

Say they can't get a consistent push with the front 4 like last year....you think the Pelini brothers won't be able to figure out something else to create pressure and cause some havoc? You think they won;t find a way to stop people. Thats what they do, and that's all they do.

NU won't have a flashy or dominant season imo, but they will find a way to pull out tough games. CU, KSU, and Ku will likely not be offensive juggernauts, and all 3 will have to rely on the run. OSU is in severe rebuilding mode on defense, and will need to run very well to win games. Texas is going to run the ball a lot more this year, and not be as explosive. I don't see a scarry scoreboard monster in the bunch there.

ATM, and Mizzou are the only foes on tap that pose some valid match-up issues for NU with great passing games. Hard to say about ISU...if the passing game doesn't click, they'll have to rely on running and eating clock again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron