Why do we even play UNI anymore?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Waiting for the comparison by the UNI defenders that we are just acting like Iowa does to us. Difference is. They are literally in a different level of play. Name on other power 5 program that has a FCS team that the announcers call a rival?
That's what happens when we lose to UNI as often as we do.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
SDSU is higher ranked than UNI (#4, #20 in Coaches Poll).

Maybe a good reason is that if you have an off game against UNI as your first game, you still might end up with a W.
South Dakota was 4-7 last year and are already 0-1 this year so far after playing Montana. It will be the weakest FCS team we have faced since Western Illinois in 2012. They are a few steps down from the jackrabbits.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
SDSU is higher ranked than UNI (#4, #20 in Coaches Poll).

Maybe a good reason is that if you have an off game against UNI as your first game, you still might end up with a W.
We were on the way to crushing them last year before the rain. It’s a UNI thing. They will always play well above how good they re against us.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
We were on the way to crushing them last year before the rain. It’s a UNI thing. They will always play well above how good they re against us.

In a perfect world, isn't that what you want though? I wanted to see a good old fashioned beat down just like everybody else. And there are definitely some things that need to be improved. What better way to get ready for the Iowa game, and Big 12 competition than playing a team that you know is going to be jacked up to play you though? All the freshmen and first year starters now know exactly how intense a college football game is. Will that really be the case next year with a sleepy game against South Dakota, who is only there for the paycheck?

If you are trying to turn your program into winners, you want them playing with championship intensity every week. Is it a good look when you play an FCS team to 3OT? No, it isn't. Will anyone remember this game or care in three or four weeks? No they will not. A win is a win in week 1.

Lets hope they improve, because Iowa will come in just as amped, and with more talent.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
In a perfect world, isn't that what you want though? I wanted to see a good old fashioned beat down just like everybody else. And there are definitely some things that need to be improved. What better way to get ready for the Iowa game, and Big 12 competition than playing a team that you know is going to be jacked up to play you though? All the freshmen and first year starters now know exactly how intense a college football game is. Will that really be the case next year with a sleepy game against South Dakota, who is only there for the paycheck?

If you are trying to turn your program into winners, you want them playing with championship intensity every week. Is it a good look when you play an FCS team to 3OT? No, it isn't. Will anyone remember this game or care in three or four weeks? No they will not. A win is a win in week 1.

Lets hope they improve, because Iowa will come in just as amped, and with more talent.
I’d rather get up early while trying some things out and get the starters out of the game so young guys can get playing time. There’s a difference between not playing a total pushover and playing a super motivated really good team. Honestly I’d rather play a MAC team than UNI. Then at least we get the benefit of it being an FBS team in the eyes of everyone. Personally I don’t think we played that bad we just didn’t capitalize on scoring opportunities. The play calling needs to improve but we were clearly the better team just looking at the teams.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I agree with both sides. We shouldn’t have to dodge UNI, but if you can, why not. Pollard will always schedule them every two years to help them out though.

Schedule a Towson or someone ******. It allows you to get backups some reps and helps prevents injury. Newell never would’ve got hurt in OT if that was case.

They give us preferred pricing too. We paid more for South Dakota last year.

It’s great for them because it’s a good check, and close enough everyone can make the trip.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They give us preferred pricing too. We paid more for South Dakota last year.

It’s great for them because it’s a good check, and close enough everyone can make the trip.

I wonder how that 500k or whatever we save by playing UNI comes back around. Recruiting budget?

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
If you are going to play UNI...you need it to be the 3rd or 4th game of the season...not the opener.
Farley always game plans against Iowa State and has all fall camp to put it into place...this is why they usually struggle after the Iowa State game.
Everyone needs to calm down...it took 2 50 yard field goals, a defensive touchdown (terrible call), and a catch in the end zone that should have been over turned for them to score. We shot ourselves in the foot several times...had some really untimely penalties (blindside and helmet coming off)...and just didn’t execute at times. We will get better!!!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We play UNI because it sells tickets and it's good for the state of Iowa. Just like Iowa though, I wish we would play them in the 2nd or 3rd nonconference game. Seems like Campbell's teams need time to get in rhythm and typically get better through the season.... so a Wofford or Towson or Sister Mary Mother of the Poor school should always be scheduled in Week 1.

Either way, a top 25 team with conference title aspirations has to beat an FCS team. We (barely) did.

Kansas. Is there anyway we can open with Kansas?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Honestly I’d rather play a MAC team than UNI.

Honestly i might even go so far as to say i'd play Nebraska before UNI if it weren't for the loss of a home game.

At least when we end up in a fight with them we won't get trashed in the national media for it.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I'm more concerned with the slow starts CMC's teams seem to have at the beginning of seasons. I suppose that's more of his philosophy of staying conservative with the play calling and not showing Big12 teams too much of our plays.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
We USED to play UNI because it would sell out. We could have played Grand View on Saturday and it would have sold out. It was the fewest UNI fans I’ve ever seen in JTS. They didn’t even have their band and Iowa State fans were in the seats normally reserved for the band.

I’m sure there is some validity in that we play UNI because of Board of Regents pressure and/or our AD’s are friends. However, it CANNOT be ignored that the main reason we play UNI is because they are CHEAPER.

It would cost Iowa State between $900k to $1m to schedule a 1-AA bottom feeder like Western Illinois, etc. We paid UNI around half of that. That’s my biggest frustration. UNI, regardless of how good either team is, always plays Iowa State tough. If you know that, and we have a more than large enough sample size to know that they do, is it worth $450,000 of savings knowing you have a better chance to lose than versus a Western Illinois-type?

Here is my point. Imagine this scenario. We lose yesterday. Some magical spirit comes to Pollard and says “I can magically make you 1-0 instead of 0-1 and all you have to do is write me a $450,000 check. Nobody will know, you’ll just be 1-0. He writes the check in 2 seconds.

So, if you’e willing to do this, why not just schedule someone who isn’t as good for $900,000? There is just too much at stake to not be 2-0 in your non-Big 12/non-Iowa games.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
While it would have been a lot better for my blood pressure to watch us beat a team like Florida A&M 42-0, I guarantee you the coaches prefer a tough game from a team like UNI. We'll be better because of it. Plus keeping the $ in state is nice.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We USED to play UNI because it would sell out. We could have played Grand View on Saturday and it would have sold out. It was the fewest UNI fans I’ve ever seen in JTS. They didn’t even have their band and Iowa State fans were in the seats normally reserved for the band.

I’m sure there is some validity in that we play UNI because of Board of Regents pressure and/or our AD’s are friends. However, it CANNOT be ignored that the main reason we play UNI is because they are CHEAPER.

It would cost Iowa State between $900k to $1m to schedule a 1-AA bottom feeder like Western Illinois, etc. We paid UNI around half of that. That’s my biggest frustration. UNI, regardless of how good either team is, always plays Iowa State tough. If you know that, and we have a more than large enough sample size to know that they do, is it worth $450,000 of savings knowing you have a better chance to lose than versus a Western Illinois-type?

Here is my point. Imagine this scenario. We lose yesterday. Some magical spirit comes to Pollard and says “I can magically make you 1-0 instead of 0-1 and all you have to do is write me a $450,000 check. Nobody will know, you’ll just be 1-0. He writes the check in 2 seconds.

So, if you’e willing to do this, why not just schedule someone who isn’t as good for $900,000? There is just too much at stake to not be 2-0 in your non-Big 12/non-Iowa games.
I appreciate your analysis, very much so.

But I have a point I heard mentioned elsewhere, that I don’t think anyone has considered.

This game was nationally televised. Every game this year will be on a national network, and as I understand it, the same going forward with the new ESPN package.

So, how long do you suppose it is before the TV networks start putting their foot down about P5 teams playing FCS schools? Much easier to promote a game, much better ratings if a P5 school isn’t playing a nobody.