Why Is Everyone So Confused/Upset Today ??

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
gee, let's see, low on the totem pole in power conference - going to more than double our revenue and keep alongside our tradition rivals from the big 8 sans NU and CU, top of the totem poll in a non-BCS conference, or in a BCS conference making less than half the revenue we do now....not a hard decision.

Is it "fair?" well from their perspective, they are the ones making all the money, so why shouldn't they get "their" fair share.

Does anybody stop and think that sometimes it's better for the whole if you don't take your fair cut? The Big Ten was the one EXPANDING rather than scrambling to try and keep their teams. Why? Because everyone is an equal in the Big 10. It's a stable environment. For as much as Big Ten fans will complain about OSU being arrogant, it's nothing compared to Texas. They are unable to check their ego at the door, and refuse to regard anyone as an equal.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
4286197340_9623524c4e.jpg

Seriously - what's with the 'clone-on-'clone crime on this site lately? Is it REALLY so bad to have concerns that we're just setting ourselves up to be raped yet again? Or have you been an ISU fan for so long that it just comes with your territory - "WE ARE IOWA STATE" and we should celebrate the fact that Texas decided to share a few more crumbs of their feast with us?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Does anybody stop and think that sometimes it's better for the whole if you don't take your fair cut? The Big Ten was the one EXPANDING rather than scrambling to try and keep their teams. Why? Because everyone is an equal in the Big 10. It's a stable environment. For as much as Big Ten fans will complain about OSU being arrogant, it's nothing compared to Texas. They are unable to check their ego at the door, and refuse to regard anyone as an equal.

I agree but there's nothing we can do. That's why: the most important lesson from this event is: we need to change our mindset. Trying to be smart managing our funds, getting more donations, improve relationship with alumni and donor, getting more support from the students/alumni, etc.

If we can improve our position, we can have better position and we can be more attractive to other parties. Right now we don't offer ANYTHING. Let's admit it. But if we can improve, we can be like Boise State.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I see no reason to be confused or upset. We are a Big 12 member who is more financially secure today that what we were last year.

However, there are upset and confused people today in Iowa City. A stronger Iowa State is an outcome they never expected.

More financially secure and stronger Iowa State?

The only change in our situation recently is that we've been dissed and scorned by anyone and everyone. We've had a mudhole stomped in our reputation by the local and national media. In addition, we gave up ~$3mil that is rightfully due to us (from CU and NU) given the current rules of the conference.

There are no guarantees that a new TV deal will materialize or that it will be in the amount currently projected. There are no guarantees that the conference will still be around when the time comes to negotiate a new TV deal. There are no guarantees that when a new deal is negotiated UT won't make demands for a new revenue sharing agreements that favors them even more. There are no guarantees that we won't be in the exact same position we were two days ago 3 years from now.

All we have is the word of a couple of our conference 'partners', partners that we all know by now that we shouldn't trust any further than we could throw their starting offensive line. Given the history of this conference, I'm highly skeptical that any of this will come to fruition. Texas will put us through all of this again when they decide it is best for them for us to suffer.

I'm a little split on the revenue sharing. On one hand, Texas is the big draw. Without them we'd be splitting a smaller pie. One the other hand, when all members are treated equally, synergism can be built. I think it's part of the reason why the Big Ten and Pac 10 were the conferences looking to expand and the Big XII was on the brink of elimination. They're the NFL, the most successful pro sports league around and we're MLB, the former America's Past Time struggling to remain on top.

I think it's illustrated perfectly by one of my favorite Far Side cartoons.

cartoon1.jpg

I know some people think that the schedule is too difficult now and this issue gets into the discussion so here are my thoughts. I disagree, I love a ten team conference and the opportunity to play all members every year (once in football, twice in basketball). I'm not scared a bit to face UT and OU every year. I know Paul Rhoads and his players or any of the other coaches and their players aren't afraid of facing anyone either. If we are, why even compete?

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Seriously - what's with the 'clone-on-'clone crime on this site lately? Is it REALLY so bad to have concerns that we're just setting ourselves up to be raped yet again? Or have you been an ISU fan for so long that it just comes with your territory - "WE ARE IOWA STATE" and we should celebrate the fact that Texas decided to share a few more crumbs of their feast with us?

I noticed this too. Between yesterday and today we've went from arm-in-arm to up-in-arms.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
No championship game has worked out well for the BigTen the last decade or so. It keeps the 2nd place team, or loser from possibly being bumped out of the BCS and keeping that BCS payday of 17 million or whatever it is now.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
More financially secure and stronger Iowa State?

The only change in our situation recently is that we've been dissed and scorned by anyone and everyone. We've had a mudhole stomped in our reputation by the local and national media. In addition, we gave up ~$3mil that is rightfully due to us (from CU and NU) given the current rules of the conference.

ISU is not forgoing any "exit fees" from NU and CU. JP clearly stated that ISU will let the conference attornys handle this issue.

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010

This is incorrect again. The reason that the big 10 is able to expand is because Fox owns 49% of the network. They do all of the logistics, and negotiation.

The stability of the environment is kept beacause there is a clear pecking order. Ohio State is the king, and the school the conference revolves around (sorry to be the one to break to you it's not the hawks :smile:). As long as they have the most they aren't going to cause trouble. The fact that Gene Smith already nixed an Eastern Division based on geographics shows that they are willing to throw their muscle around.

IF this UT network makes them money, look out.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
It does appear this deal will lead to a significant increase in TV payout, but I cannot believe three teams STOLE the payout money!! Why the HELL do they need it more than us??? We have got to have equal revenue sharing in all things for sustainability.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I agree but there's nothing we can do. That's why: the most important lesson from this event is: we need to change our mindset. Trying to be smart managing our funds, getting more donations, improve relationship with alumni and donor, getting more support from the students/alumni, etc.

If we can improve our position, we can have better position and we can be more attractive to other parties. Right now we don't offer ANYTHING. Let's admit it. But if we can improve, we can be like Boise State.

I agree with that. Try to improve the areas that you have control over as much as you can (attendance, donations, etc. as you mentioned), so that when this happens again (and I do believe it's a matter of "when", not "if"), you are prepared and can make a move. Bear in mind that the MWC should be a BCS conference within a few years, and could even start getting 2 teams in from time to time, given their depth at the top of the league. They could be a much bigger player when the time comes for ISU to make another decision.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
ISU is not forgoing any "exit fees" from NU and CU. JP clearly stated that ISU will let the conference attornys handle this issue.
I have not been here all day, and am here just briefly now, but I hope this is true.

Reading about that just seemed like such BS. I'm pretty much OK with most everything else. But it seems to me there you are talking about dealing in good faith, with living up to past agreements. Not a good way to start out a new agreement.