Why the 5 or 6 schools give up the penalty fee?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Honestly, I don't understand why everyone thinks we are entitled to the same amount of money at UT, OK and aTm. They bring in much much more money than we do. If all we had to do was give up the 2 million we never had to make another 7-8 million, I consider that pretty good deal.

Reactions: jtd9046

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, I don't understand why everyone thinks we are entitled to the same amount of money at UT, OK and aTm. They bring in much much more money than we do. If all we had to do was give up the 2 million we never had to make another 7-8 million, I consider that pretty good deal.

There's potential for the possibility that you gave up 2 million for nothing. There's nothing stopping Texas from doing this again in a year or two. Texas doesn't care about the money. They want CONTROL. And the Big 12 keeps giving them more and more of it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
There's potential for the possibility that you gave up 2 million for nothing. There's nothing stopping Texas from doing this again in a year or two. Texas doesn't care about the money. They want CONTROL. And the Big 12 keeps giving them more and more of it.

That has always been the case. If you think that Texas is going to walk away from a potential deal that is coming while at the same time having the option to form their own Longhorns network, you are nuts. And right now we only have 10 members.

Essentially what Jaime said is that we are already going to get a windfall anyway because now we will divide by 10 members the pile of dough. PLUS we have much better odds of being on Television which will up our pay as well. There are only 10 members now. 5 Conference football games, not 6 games each Saturday.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
That has always been the case. If you think that Texas is going to walk away from a potential deal that is coming while at the same time having the option to form their own Longhorns network, you are nuts. And right now we only have 10 members.

Essentially what Jaime said is that we are already going to get a windfall anyway because now we will divide by 10 members the pile of dough. PLUS we have much better odds of being on Television which will up our pay as well. There are only 10 members now. 5 Conference football games, not 6 games each Saturday.

I DO think that Colorado adds virtually NOTHING to the Pac-10. If they can't get Utah, I could very easily see them folding to Texas' demands.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I DO think that Colorado adds virtually NOTHING to the Pac-10. If they can't get Utah, I could very easily see them folding to Texas' demands.

But now you are talking dividing the pie up into a LOT of pieces again. We don't have a championship game in football and yet the money will remain the same. Jaime alluded to the fact that the conference could very well get 2 BCS berths consistently. That is BIG money. Think of how many times the Big Ten has backed a couple teams into the BCS.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
But now you are talking dividing the pie up into a LOT of pieces again. We don't have a championship game in football and yet the money will remain the same. Jaime alluded to the fact that the conference could very well get 2 BCS berths consistently. That is BIG money. Think of how many times the Big Ten has backed a couple teams into the BCS.

This is a good point, i wouldnt think itd be uncommon to see both UT and OU make the BCS.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This is a good point, i wouldnt think itd be uncommon to see both UT and OU make the BCS.

And think about the second place Big Ten team with another loss. Unless an upset occurs and the underdog wins. And even then that will knock the Conference out of a possible NC game.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

But Texas doesn't care about the money. If they are considered "superior" within the conference, they're happy. If the Pac were to fold and give uneven revenue sharing to Texas, they'd be more than happy to bolt. They want to be above everyone else. And if the Pac were to allow them to be, then Texas will leave, because the Pac-10 offers more to them.

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010
This is funny,

You have a Hawk fan on here spouting the new rhetoric out of Hawk fans about UT. Meanwhile, there are Iowa State people ignoring the facts of the their situation, and running out the whole old tired everybodies against Iowa State nonsense.

It will take 3-5 years, minimum before the Longhorn Cable Network is operational. It will another 3-5 to see if it's profitable, and worth it to them. They will hold this coalition together that long, at least.

It is up to Iowa State to make themselves desirable. They have two new coaches that have the responsibility to win, and a new directive to the fans to do just that.

TM, I would worry more about Ohio State's reaction to all of this. They are falling behind UT with this move. That won't sit well with that group.

Reactions: alaskaguy

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Where will Texas bolt? The SEC, Big Ten, and the Pac 12 all have revenue sharing. All three of those conferences will also all have Conference TV networks.
Although they have a conference TV deal, the SEC allows their members to have their own TV networks. The Gator television network earns $10 million annually that they do not have to distribute to the other teams.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I'm not arguing that ISU is entitled to the same money as the Big 3. But (throwing the Big 10 bylaws aside for the moment to prove a point) is Minnesota truly entitled to the same revenue as Ohio St? Is Michigan St entitled to the same revenue as Michigan? Hell, is Indiana entitled to the same revenue as Purdue? (even they have been to a Rose Bowl somewhat recently) If ISU isn't entitled to the same money as Texas, than neither are these schools. Yet Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St share revenues with these schools equally anyway. You know why? Because it's a sign of goodwill. It's no accident that virtually every unhappy fan base is dying to get their school into the Big 10 - because it's no accident that it's as stable as it is. Short of Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St deciding to leave the conference to form a superconference with other large schools, the smaller members of the Big 10 have absolutely nothing to worry about - they KNOW that the larger schools aren't going to one day attempt to screw them. And they really don't have to worry about the big schools leaving either, considering just about every school east of the Rocky Mountains wants in. All the Big 10 schools may hate each other, but they trust each other.

Think that's going to happen anytime soon in the Big 12? Equal revenue sharing might not have healed the wounds immediately, but it would have been a gigantic step in the right direction.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
But Texas doesn't care about the money. If they are considered "superior" within the conference, they're happy. If the Pac were to fold and give uneven revenue sharing to Texas, they'd be more than happy to bolt. They want to be above everyone else. And if the Pac were to allow them to be, then Texas will leave, because the Pac-10 offers more to them.

They aren't going to control the Pac-10, plain and simple. If you think USC is going to let Texas run the league, you're crazy. Probation or not, USC runs the Pac 10.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They aren't going to control the Pac-10, plain and simple. If you think USC is going to let Texas run the league, you're crazy. Probation or not, USC runs the Pac 10.

If you've been a little too busy focused on the realignment and how it could possibly permanently devastate ISU athletics that you didn't hear the other bit of big news out of college athletics last week, it's ok - I'll update you. The way the NCAA smacked around USC last week with probation and penalties, USC's not going to be in a position to tell anybody in the PAC 10 what to do for a LONG TIME. It's so bad that Lane Kiffin regrets burning his bridges to Tennessee...

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
According to the JP/GG presser there are two issues.
1. Penalty money
2. Additional money created by deviding revenue sharing by 10 enstead of 12.

ISU is not giving up any "penalty fees". They stated that they will basically let the conference attorney's handle this matter.

As far as the revenue sharing issue that is cause by the pie now being divided by 10 Vs. 12 - thus creating a bigger share to all remaining members, The five universities agreed that they would be willing to use these monies as a "backstop" option to equal or make whole any other offers made to
Texas/OU/ A&M etc from the PAC10.

JP went on to say that he did not believe that these monies would even come into play and from the sounds of it ISU would receive their full share of this "extra" money created from the consolidation(two schools leaving) of the Big 12.

Spursfan11

Jun 13, 2010

Actually, it is the academics in the PAC 10 that appealed to UT, and vice versa. UT is a top university, and there are hundreds of millions of grant dollars that they could get their hands on with the connections of the PAC 10 universities.

This is why it's funny that Tech would try to get in the PAC 10, it is not a strong school, and the only reason that they would have been admitted is because of the very UT whose shadow they are trying to get out from under.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Because USC is the "big fish" in the Pac-10. But Texas is THE "big fish" in college sports right now, and they're always in the running for that title. If you think that USC is a more marketable attraction than USC, you're the crazy one. First off, they ARE the biggest fish out there. Second, and IMO most importantly, if they were to join the Pac-10, they give the Pac-10 a very strong foothold into the central time zone, something that is pretty important when it comes to TV. I do believe that Texas could push them around eventually.

JCREEK

Jan 14, 2010
dsm
Because USC is the "big fish" in the Pac-10. But Texas is THE "big fish" in college sports right now, and they're always in the running for that title. If you think that USC is a more marketable attraction than USC, you're the crazy one. First off, they ARE the biggest fish out there. Second, and IMO most importantly, if they were to join the Pac-10, they give the Pac-10 a very strong foothold into the central time zone, something that is pretty important when it comes to TV. I do believe that Texas could push them around eventually.

7 million or 17 million don't be stupid we were saved and on tv way more... Its a great deal...

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
7 million or 17 million don't be stupid we were saved and on tv way more... Its a great deal...

Like I said, if it all gets done, then it's an okay deal. I still wouldn't be thrilled about being with Texas, but as long as you've got everything in writing, it's alright.

BUT, that's NOT the case right now. The conference isn't saved until it's all said and done. And putting so much faith into a "partner" who has always compulsively looked out for #1 isn't smart. I realize there wasn't a whole lot of choice. But celebrating the move is stupid until Texas and Bebee deliver on their promises.

Help Support Us

Become a patron