Will a 1 or 2 seed lose in the first round?

Will a 1 or 2 seed lose in the first round this year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Only two seed that would maybe have a chance of losing is Marquette if Kolek is out but even then they should still win.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it's happened in the last 3 tournaments. Seems like parity is at an all time high this year, so I'm expecting it to be pretty nuts.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Only two seed that would maybe have a chance of losing is Marquette if Kolek is out but even then they should still win.
Agree, Marquette looked awful against Nova but better against Providence. I think Kolek is likely back for that game. Long Beach State is playing for a coach that is stepping down? getting fired? after the season so they have some added motivation. I like Rick Barnes but man have his teams laid some eggs in the tournament, I think they get out of the first round though.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I voted "no" but I feel like there's about a 50-50% chance it happens and a 1 or 2 seed loses. If I had to name potential upsets, I'd say Marquette with Kolek out playing Western Kentucky and maybe Arizona as the most likely upsets. Maybe Purdue as well??

It won't be popular on this board, but if ISU has one of those horrible shooting days and SDSU plays well above it's average, I'd say we're a more possible upset than say a UCONN, but I'd guess we're less likely to get beat then most of the 1 and 2 seeds. We seem to be hitting our stride and hope that continues. I think it's more likely we win by 15 plus.

Like the poster above said, there's more parity in CBB these days, so crazy stuff can happen.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I saw that 12/5 upsets aren't as prominent anymore and 11/6 upsets are. I'm going BYU getting upset.

6/11 kind of falls out of the realm of “upset” for me at this point. Maybe once upon a time. I think it’s due to the teams that end up there. Seems like it’s majority P6 vs P6 in that spot nowadays.

Reactions: dahliaclone

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Last year was pretty crazy with the upsets to 1s and 2s. plus the final four was made up of multiple Cinderellas. For that reason, this year may be chalk outside of a few first round upsets. I wouldn't be shocked if all the 1s and 2s make it to the sweet sixteen. Hard to sneak up on teams without injuries knowing that giant hunters have taken down some teams the past few years.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
NIL and transfer rules will forever change how March Madness plays out versus the old days. Some key players just won't have the fight when games get tight. No loyalty. So I expect upsets to get more common.

• Informative
Reactions: pourcyne

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
NIL and transfer rules will forever change how March Madness plays out versus the old days. Some key players just won't have the fight when games get tight. No loyalty. So I expect upsets to get more common.

Hopefully if it's here to stay it at least evolves away from this thing where 100% of the players are one year free agents who get 4/5 occasions of shopping free agent market. I have little problem with them being pro athletes, but it's really dumb for any pro sports league to have 100% free agency of all players every offseason and even during the playoffs.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I saw that 12/5 upsets aren't as prominent anymore and 11/6 upsets are. I'm going BYU getting upset.
The 11/6 upsets had been aided from the play-in game as two of those teams have already played and won a game. In the past ten years, only 2019 failed to see a play-in 11 winner pull off a round one winner. They get both the rust (some teams haven't played in a week+) and the nerves out of their system. During that 10 year stretch, the play-in 11 winners have a round 1 record of 8W-10L
This year, the play-in line moved to the 10 bc of all the bid stealers.

Last edited: