Will it be embarassing if Cotten does well at Nebraska?

C

Cyclone42

Just asking. He got a really bad rap here, but he was only here two years, and didn't have anywhere near the personnel he preferred to work with.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The only thing that will be embarrassing is how poorly he did here.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Somebody put it very well in regards to the question of Mac having success down at UCF (or where ever)

Better for him to leave and succeed, than to stay and fail.

Same holds true for Barney

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I have no interest in Barney and how his career goes in the future. We are in better hands now and for that I'm pleased. I wish Nebraska nothing but failures so in that regard I hope he fails but BC seemed like a decent enough guy while he was here.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I think he will do fine as an offensive line coach, especially with some of the talent he will probably have. He gets in trouble as an O coordinator, as he did here.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Barney is not the OC at Nebraska, so lets not go all coo-coo if the NU offense somehow becomes dominant (even though their main problem this season was the defense).

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Just asking. He got a really bad rap here, but he was only here two years, and didn't have anywhere near the personnel he preferred to work with.

He was here for three years which is why he must be held accountable for the lack of depth of OL in the pipeline.

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
I'm sure cotton will do well in Nebraska, as it does in every other state, nothing to be embarassed about. You know it is "the fabric of our lives". Nebraskans are a hearty folk, who are often seen wearing flannel shirts. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of flannel is actually 100% cotton! Although it is very popular, much can still be learned about this fascinating textile. I don't really think Nebraskans care much what fabric a man wears, as long as he has a strong back............:sad:

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006

Stop walking backwards-- you're going to run into something.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Barney is not the OC at Nebraska, so lets not go all coo-coo if the NU offense somehow becomes dominant (even though their main problem this season was the defense).

That's the key. I think that he was worse as OC than OL coach. The OL did not get a lot better under Cotton, but he was left in quite a hole talent-wise by Fine. There are also rumors out there that Mac forced Cotton to run Loney's schemes...don't know if that is true or not. I do still wonder why Cotton put our biggest, slowest starter (Fisher) at LT, basically letting Meyer get blindsided play after play.

Regardless, McFarland rolled out a better OL with two months to fill the talent void than Cotton did in three years. So I'm not too sad about him being at nebraska.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
Cotton had a different set of athletes to work with at NU, therefore some success. He's also better suited to be a line coach, not a coordinator.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
That's the key. I think that he was worse as OC than OL coach. The OL did not get a lot better under Cotton, but he was left in quite a hole talent-wise by Fine.

Man, it still hurts to hear that name...

JDB41

Dec 9, 2007
Ames, IA
I've met the man a few times and he seems like a very decent guy so its really hard to root against him even if he is a husker:no: college coaches have such a large microscope over them though so I guess only time will tell.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Barney hit the recruiting trail 10 days ago. So far nebraska has picked up two (Ben Cotton and a C-1a 3rd teamer from Nebraska and Ben Cotton) and they have lost eight from the Big 24. Several were 4 star that we lost incuding 2 to Colorado. Hey, Gene, Dan H stole 2 recruits from Barney.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Will it be embarassing if Cotten does well at Nebraska?

Not anymore embarassing than you not being able to spell his name correctly! :smile:

... sorry could not resist.