Will McDonald deserves more recognition.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think he’ll start getting some more love in preseason stuff for next year when they look at the numbers. Bailey sucked a lot of the air out of the room.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
McDonald is the perfect recruit/player for the good guys. Elite pass rusher (apparently the best in the country) that's going to stick around to add the needed strength/bulk to play in the NFL.

Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't think that has to be the way it is. I hope that the Giants pick McDonald in the second or third round. He reminds me of the type of DE that would have played on that crazy 8 person rotation they were running back when they won the Super Bowl as a 9-7 qualifier.

after thought: Epenesa is much slower than Will too.

Not here to pump up an Iowa guy, but Epenesa has great speed for a big guy. I remember a couple years ago in the ISU vs Iowa game Epenesa only had one tackle, but that one tackle was on a running back 20 yards down field. Now I think it was Kene, and he did get slowed down by a couple other guys, but Epenesa was the last guy and he came from behind to get him.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think he has a lot better shot at being an OLB in the NFL and needs to keep his speed and edge rush ability.
Could be. I don't think he has been playing football that long if I remember his back story. Should have a high ceiling. Hell with the kind of progression you see in Campbell's program I can't wait to see what he can do next year.

I think of Chase Winovich coming out of Michigan a couple years ago. He was limited in snaps throughout his entire career there behind Rashaan Gary.
He has really good hands, very good all around player.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not here to pump up an Iowa guy, but Epenesa has great speed for a big guy. I remember a couple years ago in the ISU vs Iowa game Epenesa only had one tackle, but that one tackle was on a running back 20 yards down field. Now I think it was Kene, and he did get slowed down by a couple other guys, but Epenesa was the last guy and he came from behind to get him.
Yes I mean, we are talking about professional athletes here. But compared to Will? No contest.
I would play Epenesa as a five tech. Not really sure what he has played for the Bills.

Last edited:

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Worst thing for Will is that officials don’t like to call holding twice, especially on the same match up. He’s so quick that the OT’s go to move is the arm bar around his neck as he is running past them. Creed Humphrey got flagged for it in the CCG and came right back and did the exact same thing a play or two later. No flag.

Same thing happened last night a play or two after the obvious hold that got the Oregon TD called back. Will reminds me of Reggie Hayward in college and the legendary Jason Taylor from the Dolphins. Lean and pretty light for a DE but can hold the edge due to long arms and tensile strength. Then the light frame gives him a huge quickness advantage.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
He reminds me a lot of Brian Burns. Since he's firmly at DE he needs to have a good offseason and gain 10 pounds. If he proves himself as a run defender next year he's going to make some money.

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
Is it me, or does this guy get zero attention/recognition?

This guy leads the power five in sacks this season with 9.5 (at least did before bowl games, will check again post bowl) and I’ve heard crickets about him nationally.

I don’t even always hear much about him locally. Normally we give more of the recognition to Jaquan since he’s been here for so long. Which deservedly so, he’s been a great player.

But Will has been on an absolute tear since late last season. I don’t know if I’ve ever remembered us having a guy as quick and explosive as he is on the edge. What do you think the reason is that he gets overlooked? Because he’s not technically a starter and often sees less snaps?
You are 100% correct. He gets held on 9 of 10 plays and still gets to the quarterback.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
McDonald is the most talented edge rusher I've seen at ISU. He has a unique build, which makes him difficult to project. He won't have the advantage of having Bailey on the other side next season, but I don't think it will matter much. He's a stud and could be one of our highest draft picks ever.

Reactions: t-noah