Will Rico Gathers be suspended?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
That was a dirty play. He definitely did it with intent. He didn't even jump with the player coming at him. You don't see anyone standing in the lane trying to make a play on the ball flat footed

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
That slap in the face was pretty egregious, but I doubt he's suspended. His punishment was being ejected.

Has a player ever been suspended for something that happened during a game?

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Stupid thread, why would someone be suspended for that? That would be like a suspension for Nader's intentional foul.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I guess Walking up and spiking someone's face like a volley ball is ok with some people? He was not going for the ball... At all. He doesn't even leave the floor or look like he wants to guard the guy,just hurt him.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Stupid thread, why would someone be suspended for that? That would be like a suspension for Nader's intentional foul.

Naders intentional was stupid... But is wasn't a flagrant foul with contact to the head. I don't see the connection.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I don't know what the people are thinking of a suspension being off the table. He practically close lined the guy

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
If they were going to issue suspensions for this, then guys like Kane and Hogue would be getting life bans

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
He should be. I don't care if it wasn't a fist...a ridiculous cheap shot that could have easily hurt someone.

If the league doesn't take action, all big men take note that "this type of non play on the ball where you try to hurt a guy with a shot to the face is OK because you are frustrated that your team is getting it's *** kicked."

Rico Gathers Sr....oh I'll bet he's just a mature, wonderful dad. Goodness.

Wow, drop the keyboard buddy....

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
Speaking of suspensions, that kid, Diamond Stone from Maryland needs to be suspended.

Smashing a guy's head into the court on purpose. The kid should have been ejected immediatley.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
If this were Big XII football wouldn't he automatically sit the first half of the next game?

This was more of what i was thinking - is there any big 12 rule that governs a flagrant 2 and the next game? Also, regardless anyones opinion on the foul - its quite obvious to anyone watching it that Gathers was frustrated - losing at home to Tech by 20, and its not like he's not let his emotions get the better of him in the past. To me that was intentional, and the play on the ball if you call it that was simply hide his real intention. As another poster said, he didnt leave the floor and was sending a message - as he's done in the past.

This is not Gathers first go round with this type of ejection. I was curious if the league reviewed all Flagrant 2 ejections to determine if further suspension was needed.

ISU needs that game at Baylor we could use every advantage we could get.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Just watched the video, won't be shocked if gathers is suspended. He could have really hurt that kid, gathers arms are weapons and he made zero attempt at a basketball play and just tried to hurt the tech player

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
No way Gathers gets suspended for that. If he was one of our players I would be livid if he got suspended. The Tech player was barreling into the lane, bringing the ball up, and Rico swatted at it. Hit him in the face instead but it didn't look intentional. Whether it was or not only he knows.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
cropped_hogue-kick.gif

Help Support Us

Become a patron