Will we be a better TEAM next year??

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
With all the talk of ISU losing 2 Pro Players and Mac's inability to win with them...the early talk that next year will be a train wreck.

But could a case be made that we may actually be a better TEAM next year?

Look...I like CB and MG...their talent is clear and could often get their own shot when ever they wanted. But sometimes getting them the ball would create a virtual black hole for our offense. At times, it would seem like we would do everything to get them ball, only to see forced shots, poor decisions when double team and the rest of our offense left standing around waiting for them to create.

Would a more balanced attack with the returnees be better in the long run? No one returning is going to be a singular focus. Just a lot of seniors and juniors who have played a lot in Mac's system.

Biggest questions would be....Would their basketball IQ be better?
Rebounding. CB and MG could rebound in space and we will most certainly miss that.

But could a case be made for a better overall team?

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I think it's possible, as there won't be any standing around waiting for Craig or Gilstrap to make something happen, it will be all 5 guys having to make it happen and needing to step up. Not knowing how good the Juco's will be is the only question, if they can come in and have the impact Tim Barnes and Vroman had their first year, I think we will be fine.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
ISU might be an improved team next year; however quite a few teams in the Big 12 expect to be a better overall team next year.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Possible. But at this point, we have no idea what next year's roster will look like it. Based on McDermott's history, I am going to assume that a couple of additional players leave. In addition, nobody has any idea how well the JUCO player(s) will perform at the Big 12 level. Safe to say though, that trying to replace the two leading scorers AND rebounders is going to be a very tall order.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I will almost guarantee that there will be less drama going on around this team. I think that Garrett is positioning himself to be the leader of this team next year. That's something we've lacked the past few years. Typically, a team looks to their premiere player to be that leader, but Brackins just didn't show any desire to be that leader. Now that we aren't going to have any "stars" on this team I really hope that the off the court issues get handled.

kkise

Jun 25, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Sort of like addition by subtraction? It's possible. The other players may take on more responsibility. I don't know what to expect from the newbies and you hate to lose players as good as Brackins and Gilstrap.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think we will be. I think one of Ejim, Oliver, or Clyburn (if signed) will be better than expected. If Phillips provides us with that scoring threat I think we will be fine. I just think the team will operate a lot more smooth on the offensive end.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
ISU might be an improved team next year; however quite a few teams in the Big 12 expect to be a better overall team next year.

Really? From looking at the Seniors and players expected to leave after this year I expect a lot of teams to take a step back. (KSU, KU especially)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We probably still need to have one crunch time guy to take shots like a Mike Taylor. Will that be DG?

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, the Big XII will be tough again next year.

The Big 12 will always be tough...but it will come down from the very high heights it experinced this year. May be a good year to have an older team and many teams will be playing new, albeit, highly rated players.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I sure hope so. What I'm looking for is a team identity, and I think it needs to be a scrappy, hard working, solid defensive team.

Basically, I'd like to see the team take after Boozer next year.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I look at a team like TT. No one star...just a bunch a good players running a system to get shots and plays hard all the time. I believe they have 17 wins...probably an NIT bid...all at a school where they draw flies for a crowd, with a guy who has never coached a team to an NCAA tourny game or with any prior HC experience.

It just seems like they never beat themselves...and they also gave KU a decent game today.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I went into this year optimistic when we had experience and talent, and like the song says, I won't get fooled again. Greg hasn't shown he can compete in the Big 12 with or without talent. What's really dissappointing is that I thought if Greg had any problem it would be in the recruiting area, not in player development and game coaching. I've seen just the opposite. It looks like Colorado has passed us and I fear Nebraska may also pass us next year. Sorry for the pessimism, but I can't let myself get up again for a basketball season until Greg shows he can do it or we get a new coach.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I hate our offence, OVER a hundred set plays and NO ONE does anything? How long does it take to learn these plays? We are adding 4(?) new players. I am no expert but my logic says no we won't be better, but the bar is not to high. So who knows.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I hate our offence, OVER a hundred set plays and NO ONE does anything?

Yes, please, let's get some "motion" in our offense. And maybe screen off the ball? With a perimeter emphasis next year, if we don't become harder to guard by constantly moving without the ball, we are screwed.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I hate our offence, OVER a hundred set plays and NO ONE does anything? How long does it take to learn these plays? We are adding 4(?) new players. I am no expert but my logic says no we won't be better, but the bar is not to high. So who knows.

That's the point. The main focus was to get the ball to CB down low...or have MG on an isolation. Both did OK to get their own shot...but more often then not...it was a bad shot, forced shot. But you are almost dammed if you don't ride them or try it...both were capable of doing big things. It just didn't pan out.

Teams would throw constant doubles at CB all year. How many TO's did he have, frustrating possesions, forced - fall away jumpers?

MG...flashes of dominance some games, but others....he was no where to be found, but still found his shots.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
I look at a team like TT. No one star...just a bunch a good players running a system to get shots and plays hard all the time. I believe they have 17 wins...probably an NIT bid...all at a school where they draw flies for a crowd, with a guy who has never coached a team to an NCAA tourny game or with any prior HC experience.

It just seems like they never beat themselves...and they also gave KU a decent game today.

Well, they do have John Roberson. Very very solid guard. If Diante could resemble him next year, I'd say we have a pretty good chance next year at being in a position similar to theirs this year.