Williams and Blum: Duggan Story VERY inaccurate

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Although CW’s story of the decision “do you take Purdy or Duggan?” is interesting… it is incredibly inaccurate.

First, Purdy and Duggan were not in the same recruiting class. Purdy was 2018, taken in the same class as Re-Al Mitchell. Duggan was 2019.

Which leads to an even sadder truth. Yes, Iowa State did want to get a quarterback early in their 2019 class and Duggan was taking some time to reach his decision. On February 10th, 2018, Iowa State would secure the commitment of Labette, KS QB Easton Dean.

Max Duggan would commit to TCU about two months later… 8 months prior to his early signing period.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
One old thing that no one else cares about that I really care about is when a bunch of people wanted to hire the Cleveland St coach instead of TJ.

Reactions: CloneIce

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Although CW’s story of the decision “do you take Purdy or Duggan?” is interesting… it is incredibly inaccurate.

First, Purdy and Duggan were not in the same recruiting class. Purdy was 2018, taken in the same class as Re-Al Mitchell. Duggan was 2019.

Which leads to an even sadder truth. Yes, Iowa State did want to get a quarterback early in their 2019 class and Duggan was taking some time to reach his decision. On February 10th, 2018, Iowa State would secure the commitment of Labette, KS QB Easton Dean.

Max Duggan would commit to TCU about two months later… 8 months prior to his early signing period.

Water under the bridge. Both had great careers at respective schools.

It's about as efficient as wondering if we could have had Earl Bruce longer as our coach, then John Cooper, etc., etc.

I see your point. It would be very nice to offer a link to the purported CW story. I haven't read it nor can I find it on a quick scan.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
One old thing that no one else cares about that I really care about is when a bunch of people wanted to hire the Cleveland St coach instead of TJ.
Both will wind up being successful coaches at present schools, I think.

We will have a close up view of said coach soon enough, 1-28-23 vs. Mizzou, at Columbia.

Otz is a great fit at ISU. Glad he was hired.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Water under the bridge. Both had great careers at respective schools.

It's about as efficient as wondering if we could have had Earl Bruce longer as our coach, then John Cooper, etc., etc.

I see your point. It would be very nice to offer a link to the purported CW story. I haven't read it nor can I find it on a quick scan.
Riddle me this Batman. Let’s say Earle Bruce stayed at ISU and there was no Hayden Fry. Is the result the typical Iowan crazy about ISU instead of the Hawkeyes?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Riddle me this Batman. Let’s say Earle Bruce stayed at ISU and there was no Hayden Fry. Is the result the typical Iowan crazy about ISU instead of the Hawkeyes?
Is this tangent really worth arguing about? Does anyone really think if Duggan was the QB at ISU under the previous offensive coaching staff it would have made any difference? I don't.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Even if he came here and red shirted that 2 years he would have wasted backing up Purdy. Things imo worked out for everyone.
Yep, and given the fact that it took him quite a bit of play to become the type of player he is today, he almost certainly wouldn't have been as good as this path made him.

clonesorelse

Jan 22, 2011
Is this tangent really worth arguing about? Does anyone really think if Duggan was the QB at ISU under the previous offensive coaching staff it would have made any difference? I don't.
But maybe he would have been really good at throwing the 4 yard crosser on 3rd and 8. It is such a difficult skill to master that other teams don’t even attempt it.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street

DAFFCEFB-6669-4331-A829-5B5CDA1B4097.jpeg

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
There’s talk out there that Duggan will enter the portal.

Wow, I can't believe he still has eligibility left. Makes sense though. He is not an NFL prospect, so why not maximize your $ potential your last year of football. He gave 4 years of sweat and blood to TCU, deserves to go get a couple hundred thousand dollars before his playing career is over.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Dean's commitment didn't scare off Duggan. Purdy did. By the time Duggan was committing, Purdy had already won the starting job as a true freshman, went 7-2 as QB, and went to the Alamo Bowl. Duggan was not going to commit to ISU to sit behind that for 3 years.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Dean's commitment didn't scare off Duggan. Purdy did. By the time Duggan was committing, Purdy had already won the starting job as a true freshman, went 7-2 as QB, and went to the Alamo Bowl. Duggan was not going to commit to ISU to sit behind that for 3 years.

I have no insight but this was the rumor at the time. Not sure where the head to head recruiting comes from.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Hayden even struggled against Donnie Duncan (1-3). The state of Iowa would have had to fully get behind Iowa State football. It’s very hard to see that happening in any alternate timeline. Just take a look at the Iowa State Iowa series results and Jim Criner’s reign really stands out. I am not suggesting there was any kind of set up. However, every single one of these games were over by the 2nd quarter. Criner’s program seemed tailor made for destruction by Fry.

I have a lot of respect for Earle Bruce as a coach because he succeeded consistently at Iowa State and Ohio State despite having very minimal support at best.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Tough to sign a highly rated QB when you just started a TRFR and he was going to have the job locked up for the next 3 years. IMO that's pretty much the extent of the story.