Williams & Blum: Latest realignment thoughts & CW’s Big 12 preseason poll

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't remember hearing a lot about Scates from the staff other than mentioning his mental game taking a step forward. The players always mentioned Scates.
I don’t remember the staff talking up Scates non stop. I remember them saying when he arrived that he had as much talent as anyone.

That’s a very specific statement, and says nothing about him harnessing that talent—let alone being a great player.

And after that, the talk about Scates became proceedingly more strained.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I sure hope Dekkers doesn't fall victim to the ISU curse where he regresses as he gets more experience.

Sincerely,

Bret Meyer
Austen Arnaud
Jared Barnett
Sam Richardson
Kyle Kempt
Brock Purdy
Is it really a problem with a person regressing or is it simply because the opposing teams get enough film and/or the game plan is too predictive, or the player has simply hit the top of their abilities? I wouldn't call that regressing. You see the same thing in baseball...a new player hits the plate and seems to hit everything...then the opposing teams find out that the hitter doesn't like curve balls and needs a bucket of chicken to break the curse...

Now, QB's at Iowa simply are the same from the day that they start...

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Is it really a problem with a person regressing or is it simply because the opposing teams get enough film and/or the game plan is too predictive, or the player has simply hit the top of their abilities? I wouldn't call that regressing. You see the same thing in baseball...a new player hits the plate and seems to hit everything...then the opposing teams find out that the hitter doesn't like curve balls and needs a bucket of chicken to break the curse...

I think for most of that list, it's guys who are tired of getting hit. You can only tolerate it for so long.

I've convinced that if Sam Richardson was in a bar and saw somebody walk up out of the corner of his eye, he'd start twitching and run the other way. Dude just got pummeled o_O

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think for most of that list, it's guys who are tired of getting hit. You can only tolerate it for so long.

I've convinced that if Sam Richardson was in a bar and saw somebody walk up out of the corner of his eye, he'd start twitching and run the other way. Dude just got pummeled o_O
As long as he doesn't try to throw a left, he should be okay.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

When your line is average at best, the D can take away the run and force the qb to beat them. Throw in having receivers that don't separate very well and the QB is having to hold the ball too long.

I saw the same thing out of Richardson and Purdy this year, he was waiting until he saw the receiver break instead of hitting them when they broke.

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
4th
3rd
3rd
1st
4th

That's ISU's last five B12 finishes.

We have more question marks than some of those years, but less the others.

I'm totally fine with the 5th and 6th predictions, but the reality is they would be outlier seasons for ISU. Five years is an eternity in college football cycles.

A seventh prediction would mean thinking we have less weapons on the field than Campbell's second season which is objectively not true...or thinking the Big 12 is the deepest it's been in six years which is also not true, if anything this is the most wide open the conference has ever been since its creation.

Whoa wait a minute. In 2017 our receivers included Lazard, Hakeem, Murdock, and Trevor Ryan. David Montgomery and Kene Nuwangu at running back.
Looking back I’d say we were loaded at skill position talent

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron